Pine Barren History Shorts

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It appears John L. Abbott from the above post passed away 3 years later and is currently spending time at the Pleasant Mills Cemetery.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I can understand that lights along the coast could provide enemy ships or subs with a point of reference and that lights from cities and towns could do the same for aircraft but it is almost laughable that Abbott's home in Nesco could be a beacon for the Germans.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I have one on my arched window up in my bedroom. It keeps the moon from shining on my face when sleeping. I took it off for the sale. I'm sure they are more common than you might think. Bought them here.
Interesting how 75 years later blackout curtains are used to keep light out and not in!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
While Beck did most of the leg work and was quite good at that, the truth of the matter was he received many important bits of information from the readers of the Courier who wrote in to voice their point of view. And during the short hiatus that apparently occurred during some of Beck's stories, he would pen articles on how the "Lost Town Hunters" were not infallible and tell the readers about individuals who had corrected some of his mistakes.

One such reader was J. Wilmer Lundy of Bucks County Pennsylvania who by the kindness of friends would have Beck's articles sent to him as he apparently could not get the Courier in Bucks County. Mr. Lundy grew up in Rancocas, and owned 12 acres along the Mount Misery Brook that was passed on to him by his grandfather who acquired the property in 1851.

Mr. Lundy disagreed with Beck's informant on the origin's of the Ong's Hat name, and gave Beck a much more plausible explanation. He also told Beck about the grave of Deborah Lincoln, the ancestor of Abraham Lincoln, and the chapter in "More Forgotten Towns of South Jersey" titled "Abe Lincoln's Kin Near Varmintown" most likely was the result of that tip. To his credit, Beck was not afraid to admit to mistakes or believing false information, and it is up to all of us to come to our own conclusion as to the accuracy of his tales.

And as I always do when someone interests me, Jessica and I took a quick jaunt to visit Mr. Lundy this morning. In a fine old interesting cemetery, in the original town he came from, we cleaned his residence and took a few photos.

IMG_4817a.jpg

IMG_4819a.jpg