Pine Barrens Exhibition at the Noyes Museum

Noyes Exhibition.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Now I have an even more compelling reason to visit the museum.
46'er piqued my interest a few weeks ago with his post regarding the Noyes Museum.
Thanks Jerseyman and 46'er !

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is the reception; the exhibition begins 1/30 and runs until 9/13, there is a talk on the 11th in Oceanville. Be there or be square :D

https://blogs.stockton.edu/sjchc/

Talk: Life and Legends of the Pine Barrens – by Paul Schopp
Wednesday, February 11: 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Regular Admission
Ages 12 & up

Paul Schopp, Associate Director of the South Jersey Culture and History Center (SJCHC) at Stockton College, will present a fascinating talk: Life and Legends of the Pine Barrens. The talk ties in with the Pine Barrens: Life and Legends exhibition at the Noyes Museum on view from 1/30/15 through 9/13/15. This historic exhibition revisits the work and play of life in the Pine Barrens. Industries of charcoal, glass, paper and iron once thrived in the Pines, while music and merrymaking filled the dance halls and stories of witches and the Jersey Devil abounded. The exhibition is a collaboration between the SJCHC and The Noyes Museum of Art.

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
I am not sure if this is in anyway connected with the aforementioned sawmill and gristmill. If anything some of the parcels my be in the general area.
upload_2015-1-16_10-52-16.png
The Pennsylvania Gazette
August 13, 1767

I am not sure if this is in anyway connected with the aforementioned sawmill and gristmill. If anything some of the parcels my be in the general area.
View attachment 5426
The Pennsylvania Gazette
August 13, 1767

Willy:

The David Oliphant who placed this advertisement in The Pennsylvania Gazette is the same David Oliphant who operated the mills pictured above, but he had extensive landholdings as the sale notice suggests. The 1859 Parry, Sykes and Earl New Map of Burlington County still depicts the Oliphant Tract almost a century after David advertised to sell portions of it:

Oliphant detail, 1859.jpg

Some published sources indicate David Oliphant started the mill in 1685, while other such sources state that the Oliphants acquired the mill in 1763. I have not had the time to conduct deed research into its history, so I am not certain which one, if any, of these two sources is correct. According to the older of the two published sources—Woodward’s 1883 History of Burlington County—David sold the mill to David Cole, who sold it to the Ballingers, who excahnged it with Shinn Oliphant for another mill. When Shinn Oliphant acquired the mill, it remained in the family until its demise.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Attended the second program on Thurs. night, David Kessler's film and music production. Very well attended and well received. Magical orchestration of music by David's ensemble as well as presentation of his evolving film. Jerseyman "hosting" the event wonderfully as always.....ever so good to see him. His presentation the day before had over 65 people! Please take a moment to visit the exhibit and enjoy the work that has been tirelessly compiled for the enjoyment of all. I have included the schedule of events for the upcoming season in regards to the exhibit. Terry

P.S. Spungman at Batsto today 1PM speaking!

SCAN0215.JPG

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I went with my son to the exhibit yesterday. I enjoyed it. There is a nice of mix of art and history/education there. The artistic aspect can boarder on the abstract which can lead to long misunderstood explainations when your with an eight year old (like i was), it was also pretty funny when i realized others were listening in to my simplified explainations. Anyway, it was worth the trip.