Pine plains on 539 after the fire

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Do you guys know where the marker is? It was right next to that Corvair and a few miles north of the bombing range on the northbound side of the road. I'll get my husband to give coords or at least a better idea of where it was if you need it.
I am a bad student, I only looked at it in passing, I believe there were letters on more than one side. My first impression was that it was sort of plonked down there because the writing disappears into the ground--like it's a misplaced street sign or something. I wish I had paid closer attention to it.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
BEHR655 said:
Too bad about the OOF (out of focus). Nice shots anyway. Is there a manual focus feature on that camera? Maybe it was set to manual.

Steve
I don't know that it's just the focus or even the f-stop. It's got absolutely no depth and the colors are so flat and low-quality. The photos look like they were taken with a phone-cam. I'll send some photos to Canon and find out. It's frustrating, it's been such a great camera, we've gotten the best photos with it in the past.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do you guys know where the marker is? It was right next to that Corvair and a few miles north of the bombing range on the northbound side of the road. I'll get my husband to give coords or at least a better idea of where it was if you need it.
I am a bad student, I only looked at it in passing, I believe there were letters on more than one side. My first impression was that it was sort of plonked down there because the writing disappears into the ground--like it's a misplaced street sign or something. I wish I had paid closer attention to it.

No need to give me coords.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Thanks !

A good place to enter the area is here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...74.372635&spn=0.008895,0.016243&t=h&z=16&om=0

You can park on the shoulder of 539, or if your car can handle it there are several spots along that sand road headed Southwest.

Boyd,
I detoured out to the area on the map you posted on Friday on my way to fish Harrisville Lake, and parked at one of the high spots on the dirt road. It was pretty amazing to say the least. I hiked straight for the hill in the distance (Bear Swamp?) for about an hour and then back to the car. I came out filthy but it was an eye opening hike. As burnt over as it was, there is already grass coming up in some spots. I plan to go to the same spot in the fall and check it out again. Thanks for the info.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it is. Check out the rest of them in his gallery.

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Fire on RT 539

The contrast between sand and the burn area was noticeable enough ,but with the two young ladies standing amongst the burned area makes it extreme. Those pics were awesome .My Brother ( piker56 ) is going to go back in the fall and check it out to see if the pines start bouncing back.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Those are good shots, Bill. While I was getting to the members gallery I noticed Autumn Mists shots of the fire. Did you all see them...Holy Sh**!!!

Jeff

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Autumn Mist's photos are awesome. Thanks for the directory point.

And thanks for the compliments on the few I've posted. Seriously, most of what I've done at ground zero is kiss my lens to pine cones. As a result, I've been hogging up the recent photo section on the gallery page. For that, I apologize. Seems I clicked the shutter a thousand times the hour and a half spent browsing the plains. Golly, I must have photographed every pitch-pine cone in a two-acre stretch of plains -- thank God for digital cameras and huge-in-memory-space CF cards.

While there, I kept thinking to myself, "even after the disaster, there is so much life here." Birds were as active as ever. I heard pine barren tree frogs calling from the distance.
It's a vibrant miracle, how the diminutive cones react to fire.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showfull.php?photo=5495

As the sky darkened, I finally saw a single sprout of green emerging from the ground...

And the sun setting through the charred trees? That wasn't so bad, either.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showfull.php?photo=5496

Nice place.

Bill

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Autumn Mist's photos are awesome. Thanks for the directory point.

And thanks for the compliments on the few I've posted. Seriously, most of what I've done at ground zero is kiss my lens to pine cones. As a result, I've been hogging up the recent photo section on the gallery page. For that, I apologize. Seems I clicked the shutter a thousand times the hour and a half spent browsing the plains. Golly, I must have photographed every pitch-pine cone in a two-acre stretch of plains -- thank God for digital cameras and huge-in-memory-space CF cards.

While there, I kept thinking to myself, "even after the disaster, there is so much life here." Birds were as active as ever. I heard pine barren tree frogs calling from the distance.
It's a vibrant miracle, how the diminutive cones react to fire.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showfull.php?photo=5495

As the sky darkened, I finally saw a single sprout of green emerging from the ground...

And the sun setting through the charred trees? That wasn't so bad, either.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showfull.php?photo=5496

Nice place.

Bill

That last shot is a winner Bill........

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like the woods are still on fire :) Very nice!

Guy

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i dont look at this as damage as much as i see nature would run its course eventually . flare or lightning or careless match it probably would happen anyway. maybe more control prescribed burn offs in those areas would ward off this type of thing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
" The forests are thoroughly adjusted to fire. The vegetation burns readily, but few plants are killed. In a sense, fire acts as an immense lawnmower and strips away plant tops but is soon followed by regrowth from living roots."

Jack McCormick
The Pine Barrens: A Preliminary Ecological Inventory
New Jersey State Museum, December 1970