Pinelands Commission Resolution: MAP 2.0

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It comes with a price. I am lucky I can do most of my own work or I would have had to get rid of my car a long time ago. Recently, I have put quite a bit of money into it. Today I purchased the engine torque strut, the other day was the drivers side mirror, the week before that a new tire, strut and ball joint. I usually replace everything involved with the back brakes every two years and this is that year. The car is nearing the end of it's life.

Had to replace my engine mount this morning. Then noticed the rear wheel cylinder was leaking. Purchased that and started to put it on and when taking the brake line off I noticed the line was spinning and could break. Tightened it back up and will save that for another day. That is a Ford part so it has to be ordered.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Had to replace my engine mount this morning. Then noticed the rear wheel cylinder was leaking. Purchased that and started to put it on and when taking the brake line off I noticed the line was spinning and could break. Tightened it back up and will save that for another day. That is a Ford part so it has to be ordered.

Guy,
Did you try spraying the line with WD 40 or PB blaster and let it soak? Its OK to drive while doing this, shoot some on during the week and try again in a couple days. When you loosen the line, work the nut back and forth and try tapping the line itself in toward the wheel cylinder with a small hammer or heavy wrench. you could also try a little heat from a small propane torch, don't overheat it though, the wheel cylinder will pop!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

...."Hunters traveling to some north central areas of the state are reminded some hunting areas and travel routes may be impacted by Marcellus Shale-related activities. Some state forest roads may be temporarily closed during drilling operations or other peak periods of heavy use to reduce potential safety hazards."

Could you just imagine if it was under the pines?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
...."Hunters traveling to some north central areas of the state are reminded some hunting areas and travel routes may be impacted by Marcellus Shale-related activities. Some state forest roads may be temporarily closed during drilling operations or other peak periods of heavy use to reduce potential safety hazards."

Could you just imagine if it was under the pines?
I suppose if there was oil and gas below the pines wells and drilling would be a parts of the pines long before we were even born. Luckily we don't

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I suppose if there was oil and gas below the pines wells and drilling would be a parts of the pines long before we were even born. Luckily we don't

It all began in PA. The first US oil well was in Titusville PA, the PA Rock oil company.

Figure%209%20Pennsylvania%20Gas%20and%20Oil%20Well%20Map.JPG

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
What really impresses me is not the amount of roads open, but that they have an actual on-line interactive up-to-date listing of the roads, showing what is open and when. Each entry is linked to the map, which comes up with that road highlighted. Follow the links in the article to try it, or start here:
http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/Hunting/RoadsOpenForDeerSeason/Pages/default.aspx to try it.

Compare this to using out-dated, incomplete, pasted together USGS Topo quads in NJ...

(On the other hand, it looks like PA opens and closes the roads for hunting season, so maybe not so great.)

Reactions: 46er

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
The editorial board drank the kool-aid, and the PPA wants everyone to think the forest is closed now thanks to their fine work. No longer any need to compromise, and certainly no need to recognize all the progress made over the past two years when they were forced to compromise with the rational stakeholders.

Nope, nothing to see here folks, keep moving along. Oh, but on your way out, take a look at our pretty "forest closed" signs...they're everywhere, and they're indigenous you know!

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
When I read the article linked above ("Off-roaders no longer have free reign in this huge forest"), it sounds like they are saying: now that we have a map, nobody will ride through and damage sensitive areas of the Pinelands. Like: Problem solved, because we have a map. Really?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It will never go away until those who seriously go into obvious wetlands are fined heavily. I was at a location this weekend that has been severely damaged and it is so remote there will never be enforcement there. They will continue to ride where they want knowing nobody will bother them. How is some stupid map going to stop that. And if they block the road they will just go around it. Nothing will change except the location it occurs at.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I thought Auermiller was at Monmouth Battlefield where there are no off road issues or areas where he can help the PPA and their for profit business?

And I agree this piece is written to make it seem like there is a map and nothing else will be damaged by offroaders because of it. Those that damage and feel the need to do such will continue to do it. It does not need to be done anywhere , bottom line.

Last edited: