Pines Findings

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Truth be told the vac don't look too shabby. I woulda took it out for two reasons. First to get it out and next to plug it in. If it works there's always someone that could use one and if not, you helped clean up.
The Plastic SantyClaus.... Damned awful thing. I was given one as a gift from a relative I do not want to offend. So every so many years I "remember" to put it out. (way up the street in the hopes someone will steal the damned thing, no luck)
Were I not so Pines minded, that would be my "trailor trash plastic Santa" you see out there in the Big Woods. Maybe I'll slip it in on the clean up this year if I can get it by Terri. She watches me too closely.

g.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Anyone been up spring hill recently? Saw some really weird circle of bones with more bones in the middle. Looked like it might have spelled something out at one point. Wonder who took the time to do that. Must have been abouit 50 bones there. All looked to be deer, but certainly not the same animal since most were of the same size. I took a pic but its on my cell phone.

A bunch of us (Maxwellandson, his brother, devilstoy, a friend of his, Grendel, and myself) found some weird stuff up there last winter. There was a bone tied to a stick in a tree, along with some kind of collection of stones and acrons arranged a certain way (down one of the trails leading from the main area). The same night while walking around there, we also had something thrown at us, which led to us leaving pretty quickly afterwards. There was nobody out there, since it was late at night, and only 17 degrees out.

Attachments

• IMG_3493.jpg
    IMG_3493.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 324

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The same night while walking around there, we also had something thrown at us, which led to us leaving pretty quickly afterwards. There was nobody out there, since it was late at night, and only 17 degrees out.

Mike, c'mon. Six of you left because somebody threw something at you, but you couldn't see who it was?

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Mike, c'mon. Six of you left because somebody threw something at you, but you couldn't see who it was?

:rofl:, ask Grendel. We didn't know what it was (and still dont), since it was just 4 of us at the time. The other two were back at the truck farther away down the trail warming up. It was a strange night.

There was a thread a while back where we talked about it somewhere. I guess you'd have to be there, in complete isolation, temps in the teens, pygmy forest, bright moonlight, silence, and then having that done to you to get the full effect of what we felt. lol

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I guess you'd have to be there, in complete isolation, temps in the teens, pygmy forest, bright moonlight, silence, and then having that done to you to get the full effect of what we felt. lol

Okay. Next time head towards the sound and investigate. Be brave young man.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Okay. Next time head towards the sound and investigate. Be brave young man.

Eh, haha, I think we had enough bravery for one night. We had just gotten done bushwhacking almost two miles round trip from the top of Bear Swamp Hill down to the landing gear during the middle of the night in 17 degree weather. And then did some nighttime exploring in the cedar swamp there. When that happened at Spring Hill, it was time to leave. There was nobody else around, no kids.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Not so strange but interesting finds:

An insulator where the Batona Trail crosses the RR tracks at Carranza. How many times have we all passed it.
P1010088.JPG

An old key on the High crossing Hampton Furnace road. I have probably been passing this for decades.
P1010083.JPG

P1010084.JPG

A horse bit from Anserdaten.
P1010098.JPG

A section of horse shoe from Hampton Furnace, the raised heel can be seen at left. This was a large, draft horse shoe.
P1010097.JPG

It's interesting to note that all of these finds were on roads in plain view.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Very cool finds, Ed. I know where a bunch more of those insulators can be found, if you don't mind a short hike and shinnying up a pole :). Wierd, but back in the early seventies those old glass insulators became collectible for a time. Might be they still are in some circles.

The iron pieces I have to assume were buried and washed out in a rain.

Perhaps this is the manufacturer of that key:

http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key_systems/index.aspx

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Very cool finds, Ed. I know where a bunch more of those insulators can be found, if you don't mind a short hike and shinnying up a pole :). Wierd, but back in the early seventies those old glass insulators became collectible for a time. Might be they still are in some circles.

The iron pieces I have to assume were buried and washed out in a rain.

Perhaps this is the manufacturer of that key:

http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key_systems/index.aspx

The iron pecies were in the road and being driven on. The horse shoe was near the packing house at Hampton Furnace. I have found several square iron nails in the road at Hampton Furnace also, but not in my tires. A good time to look is after they graded the road, a very infrequent event these days.

That is the key company.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The iron pecies were in the road and being driven on. The horse shoe was near the packing house at Hampton Furnace. I have found several square iron nails in the road at Hampton Furnace also, but not in my tires. A good time to look is after they graded the road, a very infrequent event these days.

That is the key company.

You can find lots of square nails around Harrisville as well. I have one sitting here on my desk.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There used to be a private residence near where I went to school (stockton in pomona) that had the whole back yard filled with those insulators. They were set up as a display. they must of had hundreds if not thousands of them.

Jeff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Ford identification plate

I found this on the High Crossing - Hampton Furnace Road. There sure is alot of hardware on that road! I find change, tools, tie wraps ,bungees, fenders, electrical connectors..... the list goes on. It's also fun to walk The Quarter Mile Run when it's dry, how to demolish your truck.

Front view.
P1010107.JPG

The rear view mirrored and enhanced to bring out the detail. The rear was much less worn than the front.
P1010114m2.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Rolling Rock, a sweet find!

This intact beauty was winking at us by the side of a road behind Carranza. I found it difficult to get a detailed picture of the surface of the glass.

Have you ever enjoyed one of these? The horse heads are great. I know they still make pony bottles, the Pic has 5 for $5.00 in a bucket of ice, but not with this design.

P1010090.JPG

P1010113a.jpg

The bottom shows a manufacture date of1965.
P1010092.JPG

I'm getting thirsty, gotta go,
Ed