Plan to put gas pipeline in Pinelands spurs ire

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I understand the whole it violates the CMP and you can't let them win one battle...but I don't see this really as that big of a deal. They are going under existing roads, they will be preserving more land along the ROW. The later is very important, there is alot of endangered species down there that need protection. The coal plant is also dirty and pollutes the area. It is disturbing to see the pinelands commission caving in, but its just how the economies and the world works, in utopia the barrens would be preserved forever and be free of the $$$, but this isn't utopia, comprimised is needed. I would love to see the holly farm preserved out of this, the place is loaded with T/E species, many of which are very isolated from other populations.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
How does one become a member of the commission? I'm not familiar with process. The reason I ask is who do we pressure to get them removed.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I understand the whole it violates the CMP and you can't let them win one battle...but I don't see this really as that big of a deal. They are going under existing roads, they will be preserving more land along the ROW. The later is very important, there is alot of endangered species down there that need protection. The coal plant is also dirty and pollutes the area. It is disturbing to see the pinelands commission caving in, but its just how the economies and the world works, in utopia the barrens would be preserved forever and be free of the $$$, but this isn't utopia, comprimised is needed. I would love to see the holly farm preserved out of this, the place is loaded with T/E species, many of which are very isolated from other populations.

It's not just along/under existing roads. They're also tunneling under some swamps.

So $8M is going to be spent "protecting" more land -- that can be sold out by the commission for another few million when another project comes along the line. Really, this means that if you pay enough money you can do what you want. At least that is my take on it.

The coal plant was slated to be shutdown, so it's not like it would have kept running if the pipeline did not go through. The grid would have handled the loss. And now, instead of pollution from burning coal we'll have pollution from burning natural gas.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
From the PPA today....

Friday is the critical vote

I hope you can join us at the Pinelands Commission offices on Friday January 10th at 9:30 am to oppose the draft Memorandum of Agreement that would allow the Commission to WAIVE their rules and allow South Jersey Gas to build a natural gas pipeline in the Pinelands where it is NOT permitted.

When: January 10th at 9:30 am
Where: Pinelands Commission, 15 Springfield Road, Pemberton

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Not sure how any fan of the barrens and preservation could be ok with approving such a plan. The risk/reward ratio for projects like this are just not worth it. I'd rather have my taxes raised for new solutions and know it went towards preservation than risk any type of leak in these forests. Same with my fishing and hunting grounds up north were fracking has become the norm. This country is eventually going to have to look at refiguring our national grid as a whole and look for greener solutions than all these nonrenewable fossil fuels that are harmful to the environment. Heres another read from todays paper. Seems like we might hear some more news by the end of the day.
http://blog.nj.com/njv_guest_blog/2014/01/go_green_and_save_the_pineland.html#incart_river_default

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Interesting that UNESCO and the NPS haven't had something to say, or perhaps they have behind closed doors.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
This morning we got a bulletin from the Pinelands Preservation Alliance that the Pinelands Commission has voted to deny the application for the pipeline.
There is justice remaining in this world.
Congratulations and thanks to the commissioners who voted to uphold their oath to obey the rules of the Commission on which they were selected to serve.
A great many thanks also to whomever made happen the preservation supportive letter from the four previous governors.
A nice precedent for the next move to destroy some part of the pines; one will be coming we can be sure.
Now we can sit back and slowly learn the dribbles of information about why this pipeline project was a bad idea all along, like the rumored plans to shut the power plant down coming true.

Reactions: Boyd and Ben Ruset

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Just heard that it was a tied vote 7 to 7! But ties don't win.
Also understand newly appointed member who was forced to recuse himself would have voted against application; he'd been on the Commission before.
But a win is a win.
Be interested to learn who voted how.......

chris erichsen

Jan 6, 2014
I was following the facebook updates by the Pinelands Preservation Alliance during the vote so you can see on their facebook page the votes of the commissioners as they happened.

I can't provide the link as my new membership doesn't have the required # of 'likes' : /

just google: Pinelands Preservation Alliance facebook

I recommend 'liking' their page and follow their good and important work.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Many of the proponents of the pipeline argued that their needs to be a redundant system of gas delivery for the residents of Cape May County. I wonder if it is possible to lay a pipeline 17 miles across the Delaware Bay from Delaware? They can run a telephone cable across the Atlantic Ocean so why can't this be done.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Compared to the bridge everyone wants in order to replace the ferry it would be much less intrusive. I am just thinking out of the box. South Jersey Gas says Cape May County needs another gas main in case of an emergency. I would assume that a much smaller gas line could be used if it didn't need to feed a power plant.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The question I'd ask is how many times has Cape May County been totally cut off from gas service? Are they trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist?

If it's about expanding service then sorry SJ gas, you can't increase your profits by shredding the already tenuous Pinelands regulations.

Reactions: Boyd

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Today was the first day that I got to read up on this pipeline and I have to say, I can see both sides but I'm definitely in favor of not touching the pines. I wonder what would have happened after the bribe was spent and then a section of the pipe ruptured under a pond or stream. Chapter 11 to stick it to the taxpayers? Another fabulous superfund site or whatever they call them now?
One other question though, what is the difference between regular natural gas and natural gas from fracking? 10 cents a gallon?
Nice work by half of the Pinelands Commission.