Plants 2015

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I brought up with Guy the subject of a volunteer citizen workforce to spruce up and open up (as required) areas that have great wildflowers and scenic beauty that are now choked up with brush etc. I'd coordinate it if I can get the state to sanction it.

Good luck with that one. It's a great idea especially in Batsto Natural Area. Would definitely be an asset to the Wharton Tract. Maybe some signs with info/pics. I really hope you can get something going, but from my dealings with the state it isn't happening.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Slender Rattlesnake root

rattlesm.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just got back from a WV vacation.I photographed this plant in an old abandoned graveyard.I thought it might be Ginseng or yellowroot neither plant of which I"ve ever seen outside of books.It appears to be neither.Can anyone tell me what it is? It had very deep bllod red to maroon colored stems.

Attachments

• IMG_8214.JPG
    IMG_8214.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 260

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just got back from a WV vacation.I photographed this plant in an old abandoned graveyard.I thought it might be Ginseng or yellowroot neither plant of which I"ve ever seen outside of books.It appears to be neither.Can anyone tell me what it is? It had very deep bllod red to maroon colored stems.
No takers on what this plant might be.It reeks of a medicinal.I"ll have to break out my plant books and see if i can find it.Thought the plant gurus here might know it on sight.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
And...that does 'look' like a ginseng in your photo, but unless I am familiar with the plant, I try to never declare a species without having the inflorescence as part of the study. And...the genus Ginseng has about 11 separate species.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The pics I saw googling Ginseng had toothed leaf edges and this plant has smooth leaf edges, the veining also looked much different.Is dwarf Ginseng a medicinal like regular Ginseng? I still haven't got to cracking the books.I did not take the plant beings it was the only one in the area so I"ll have to go from my photo.