Possible Sighting!

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
It is not at all diffulcult to get a pet wolf or at least a dog that is very largely wolf. It would not be a hard to imagine a pet getting loose in the pines and inter-breeding with the coyotes. What I am not sure of is would a wolf coyote breeding produce a sterile hybrid? In areas where wolf and coyote ranges overlap they are enemies and will kill each other if they get the chance.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
heres a cougar track in the mud

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.an...mages/08-03-01_Footprint_in_sand_at_cabin.jpg

and heres wolf tracks
http://lecs.cs.ucla.edu/~nithya/personal/Alaska Pics 3/images/Wolf Tracks_JPG.jpg

http://images.nbii.gov/mammals/nbii_l00395.jpg

but alos a siberian husky and malimu are dogs in the wolf family , and they can grow very large in size , my aunt used to breed both

Hey Nick,
where did you take that pic of the track in the mud?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Thanks for posting the pictures, Kaugie125. They clued me in to something that I saw today I probably would have missed if I hadn't looked at your pictures last night.

I was hanging out today in a pretty urban environment (i.e., a stream bank along the Camden-Burlington county line along a pretty busy road) and saw several trees that looked a lot like one of the tree shots that you posted the other day.

You folks on this forum are knowledgeable about this stuff. I have attached some cell phone shots I took of three trees and shavings at the bottom of one of the trees (they're also in my photo gallery). Do you think that one or more beavers have been involved? If so, it would be pretty surprising to me for beaver to be thriving along a road that's evidently got an average daily traffic count of 24,400 vehicles.

I've seen the handiwork of beavers up close before, but it was way out in the sticks in Aroostook County, Maine, and there was a whole family involved and a very obvious lodge location or two. I didn't see any obvious lodge today.

Dave

BeaverTree1-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree2-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree3-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree4-3Jan2009-Shavings.JPG

Lotsa beavers in NJ. I had a whole lodge on my beach right in my back yard when I lived on the Delaware River. (made for some interesting afternoons for my cat, who would sit on the lodge and cock his head quizzially, listening to what was going on inside). I encountered this little dude while kayaking at Bull's Island last summer. He seemed unconcerned. I would think that was abnormal, but the beavers in my yard were of a similar disposition. They'd swim by, eyeing me,only a few feet away, with kids on their backs.

6-18-06007.jpg

6-18-06004.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
bear track shows five toes

I knew that. I wasn't thinking. Thanks for the correction.

Sue, Nice beaver pics. When I come across them in the deep woods they are consistantly shy. But I have purposely gone looking for them, at dusk when they are active, and found if I stayed perfectly still they would hardly notice me at all. I've had this happen when fishing, if I am totally still they will come right up to me and stare. Not certain what I am. I've noticed this with most wild life. Even had a red squirrel walk over my boot when I was fishing. If you don't move and are down wind, you are invisable.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I wasn't gonna say it.

Man, thanks for that. I came in on the end and figured the site had shifted focus dramatically. You gotta know my RADAR fixed on that line. Darned good thing I just kept my trap shut. I take Sue for a lady and was a little perplexed.

g.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Wolf Tracks

When I used to live in Mullica Twp., I lived near a guy who had a wolf, or wolf mix for a dog. This thing was huge and his name was Nightmare. Pretty fitting considering this dog looked like one. It was very nice though and ended up at our home a couple of times trying to get some with our female Shepherd mutt. I'm sure this dog really "got around" and there could be other wolf mixes from this one and they might be doing the same thing Nightmare used to do by checking out the neighborhood for some tail. The owner told us he used to find him as far as several miles away. The cops knew it was his and used to call him all the time. Either the owner never tied him up, or the dog broke all the chains. Could explain this track.

Kevin

Stork

Jan 26, 2009
Riverton
I live in Riverton when i was much younger my nieghbor and I saw what appeared to be a cougar in my back yard and im positive what I saw and my neigbhor is too

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
It is not at all diffulcult to get a pet wolf or at least a dog that is very largely wolf. It would not be a hard to imagine a pet getting loose in the pines and inter-breeding with the coyotes. What I am not sure of is would a wolf coyote breeding produce a sterile hybrid? In areas where wolf and coyote ranges overlap they are enemies and will kill each other if they get the chance.

It is possible for coyotes to breed with wolves or domestic dogs. I know what you're saying about competing with one another. When I was out West in Wyoming and Idaho, the coyotes kept closer to the roadways because they knew the wolves would stay away from them and not kill them there. Perhaps if there was a pet wolf or wolf-dog (easily adoptable in NJ) on the escape around here, maybe they would breed with a coyote because the wild population levels are extremely low in our area... everyone needs some lovin'.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I live in Riverton when i was much younger my nieghbor and I saw what appeared to be a cougar in my back yard and im positive what I saw and my neigbhor is too

As for cougars, its always a possibility, but a slim one in the pines. My friend out near near Jim Thorpe, PA was telling me last summer that not too far from him there were some lion sightings and after some hikers found carcasses in nearby trees the story leaked out and made some small town headlines, but the lion/s was never found. We really arent too far from the Poconos. I also know that a yearling was hit last year on River Road in Montague, NJ. The police and park service denied it was a cougar, but everyone at the scene knew what they saw. A week later the park service had a section near the Delaware River sectioned off with police tape and were observing the den of the lion that was thought to be the yearling's mother. People in the area were asked to keep quiet about it to not stir up a scare. I have an older friend in Montague that I fish with who passed this info to me. He's as reliable as they come.

AoCnG

Dec 11, 2008
Delanco, NJ
www.joshmoritz.com
Id say its a cougar(prints from facebook account). Notice how the front toes are not even across front, and the one side toe looks rounded. Dogs are even across front and both side toes are angled.