Power Lines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We walked over 12,000 steps this morning and made it to the power lines in Medford in the vicinity of Sharps Mountain. We did not find anything we were looking for. We found a route that will help me get to a spot I want to visit that may have some historical information you all should be interested in that I recently learned about. Maybe next weekend or at least soon I should get there.

Anyway, a view today and one close by on a PBX hike in 2008. Again, not the exact spot. The next time I am there I will get the exact spot.

Today

DSC_0352a.jpg

IMG_0714a.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Guy
The 2 powerline photos are not taken from the same spot? Regardless, it's amazing how much has grown in, in 14 years. Nature at work.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No, they are not the same spot. I mention that in my post. I will try and get there one day soon.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wow. 12 years ago.
Jeff lost his GPS before we broke out into the open at the powerline and we backtracked and found it. And one big-ass sassafras.

Attachments

• 100_2481 (Medium).jpg
    100_2481 (Medium).jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_2482 (Medium).jpg
    100_2482 (Medium).jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As I mentioned earlier, there is something of interest out there that I learned about recently which I want to find. So today Jessica and I made a few adjustments to our route and was able to drive a little closer so the walk would not take us all day. And by taking a fire-cut to avoid private property we were able to make it to the powelines pretty fast. Then an 8 tenths of a mile walk up the power lines to a well hidden dim road that works it's way towards the meadows. On this road is what we came for, and we came up empty. More research and questioning is needed.

The end of the line on the dim road.

DSC_0370a.jpg

So the journey back to our car began and no sooner did we turn around and started back, we ran into this which was a surprise. Nobody on it or around, as if it drove itself there. Bags of deer corn and other hunting gear ripe for the picking. But luck was not on our side as the hunter quickly appeared coming towards us through the woods. We said hello and moved on.

DSC_0371a.jpg

The long walk up the power lines, back through the woods to the fire-cut and eventually back to the car where the same ATV from above was coming down the road towards us. This time the surprise was on him as he wondered how we had traveled so far in such a short time. We had a ten minute conversation and I learned quite a bit and surprised him I believe on a few things he did not know. In the end we learned an even better was to get where we want to go.

One day I will find what I am after and let you all know about it.

They cut the power lines this past week.
DSC_0368a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Again today we traveled to the power lines in Medford to look for something deep in the woods that I recently learned about.

Earlier this morning we drove a few miles into the woods and then walked a fire break to get there.

DSC_0480a.jpg

The area we were in was years ago was called Dudley Hole, with the property called the Dudley Hole Tract.

dhole.jpg

From the power lines it was an almost 1/2 mile hike through the swamps to get where we wanted to go. Along the way we crossed this old canal dug long ago for some unknown reason. I could barely see it on my GPS and even here at home on aerial maps.

DSC_0477a.jpg

We used a super highway made by a hunter some years back to help get through the briers.

DSC_0475a.jpg

Then we arrived in the area and walked forever without finding what we came for. I have put quite a bit of time into this and was a little frustrated. Did I walk past it? I don't really know. But another visit, at least by me, will need to happen.

In any event, the day was not a total loss as Jessica saved the day. While walking through the woods that I had just walked through, Jessica noticed a car. How she saw it I don't really know. Can you see it?
DSC_0443a.jpg

I will post multiple photos so we can all come up with a year. At first I was thinking late 70s but without doing any research I am thinking 80s. I looked for the registration number but that area is damaged. The car is actually in a stream.

DSC_0437a.jpg

DSC_0451a.jpg

DSC_0450a.jpg

DSC_0448a.jpg

DSC_0442a.jpg

More below. Maxed out the photos for the post.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
DSC_0441a.jpg

DSC_0440a.jpg

DSC_0434a.jpg

Jessica soon after noticed lanternflies all over a tree from the top to the bottom, and on the ground around it. They are even in Dudley Hole :)

DSC_0466a.jpg

DSC_0464a.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I say it is a 1978 Grand Prix. The front grill is exact. That design started in 1978 and ended in 1980. The grill is different each year and this one matches 1978.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I doubt that is Dudley Hole, however, the jury is still out as to if that location is what I was looking for. More on that hopefully in the near future.

My comment saying the lanterflies are even in Dudley Hole may be misleading. I was just jokingly saying that the lanterflies have even made it to the remote Dudley Hole area.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes. However, they were obviously not staying on the road. More on the road later. I am still working on that.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Wouldn't expect to see lantern flies in remote areas. Never noticed any at home but they are everywhere at work. Dumb creatures that will climb anything vertical thinking its a tree

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I noticed tonight on one particular aerial I can see the Grand Prix. And I believe another one or something else is nearby. I will visit there again soon.

car.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The perfect vehicle to ride in the pines. Yea right.

Slipkid

Mar 14, 2017
Medford,NJ
I have been by that car a few times. It is just off a trail that is part of a 4.3 mile running/bushwhack loop from my younger days. The VIN plate has been removed. It is in somewhat close proximity to 2 completely stripped Fox body Mustangs. The Grand Prix is intact, have always wondered what's in the trunk....and why its nose is pointed toward the power lines - the trail behind it just ends at a large marsh, Maybe years ago that marsh was drivable, dunno.

The "super highway" trail you found - is it past the Grand Prix (away from the power lines) on the right? If so it is active as it is much clearer than the last time I saw it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The super highway is 1000 feet from there so your super highway location must been a different place. I have noticed another vehicle nearby on the aerials and will be going back to check it out. It is still up in the air if that water location where the Gran Prix is located is what I am ultimately looking for. Once I make that decision I will let you all know what I was told.