Pro at Work-Stay Clear

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Found this today right before Buddy did.

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Can you explain exactly the workings of that?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I understand that, I was just wondering why it appears to be hooked to the log and tree.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As Ben found out it is legal as long as they put their name or code on the snare. If they do, it is illegal for you to tamper with it if it is legally placed.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
On Friday, Yvonne (infinite sameness) were hiking through the woods of Stockton College and happened across a recently dead coyote pup who had become ensnared. He managed to snap the wire but evidently died sometime later.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Trapping season runs from 11-15-07 - 3-15-08. As long as the snare has the hunters id tag on it it's legal, unless they are trespassing or placed it in a no hunting/trapping zone.......Mike

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am a licensed trapper and have only recently begun experimenting with snares.
Just because it is legal to trap in an area, doesn't make it a good place to trap.
One really needs to excecise some good judgement in snare palcement as far as proximity to people and likelihood of snaring domestic animals.
I have been travelling 4-5 miles into the woods and into places rarely frequented by people or pets to set my snares.
Bob,
I am far from an expert but from the picture it looks like the guy made no attempt to hide his set and it looks like a pretty wide path to set without some attempt at funnelling. His snare is dyed and appears to be well anchored to the tree.
If you have a chance to visit it again, check the snare for a tag. If there is no tag it could be someone dabbling illegally with snaring.
Trappers have a choice to have their name on the tag or just a number that is registered with Fish and Wildlife. Most guys, as did I, opt for the plain number.
If the snare is in an obviously dangerous location with regard to risk to the public or pets, you could call F&W and have them contact the trapper about the set.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am a licensed trapper and have only recently begun experimenting with snares.
Just because it is legal to trap in an area, doesn't make it a good place to trap.
One really needs to excecise some good judgement in snare palcement as far as proximity to people and likelihood of snaring domestic animals.
I have been travelling 4-5 miles into the woods and into places rarely frequented by people or pets to set my snares.
Bob,
I am far from an expert but from the picture it looks like the guy made no attempt to hide his set and it looks like a pretty wide path to set without some attempt at funnelling. His snare is dyed and appears to be well anchored to the tree.
If you have a chance to visit it again, check the snare for a tag. If there is no tag it could be someone dabbling illegally with snaring.
Trappers have a choice to have their name on the tag or just a number that is registered with Fish and Wildlife. Most guys, as did I, opt for the plain number.
If the snare is in an obviously dangerous location with regard to risk to the public or pets, you could call F&W and have them contact the trapper about the set.
Scott

He put it in a fire trail or old wood road, a fairly wide one. He piled brush up on the other half of the trail, to create a funnel. I'll check the ID next time out that way if its still there.

PS: I called Buddy through it twice. Both times he narrowly missed it to the right. The guy should have funneled it better.

Oct 25, 2006
He put it in a fire trail or old wood road, a fairly wide one. He piled brush up on the other half of the trail, to create a funnel. I'll check the ID next time out that way if its still there.

PS: I called Buddy through it twice. Both times he narrowly missed it to the right. The guy should have funneled it better.

Thank God you got to it first before Buddy.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
It's also illegal to bait the snare, which is what happened with mine. There were a number of carcasses around the snare that attracted my dog. I got to her in the nick of time.

The same feeling feeling goes out to you about getting there before your dog, i just wonder about the owners that get there after their dog.

Jim