Quarry pools/clay pits/sand mines in NJ

deathproof13

May 19, 2012
mount laurel
A few friends of mine and I have been searching for quarry pools/clay pits/sand mines that are safe to swim in. Anyone know of any?
We noticed a huge one on Google Earth off Woodmansie Road (I know the name of this site has been mentioned before, but it has slipped my mind...) and decided to check it out. We got to the entrance, heard construction vehicles and decided to find another entrance so we wouldn't be seen by any of the workers. This didn't work out very well since all the other paths that led to the site were blocked off with sand dunes. We decided to keep driving and ended up at Hidden Lakes/Old Halfway. There's two of them, correct? We were at the most eastern one.
Are there any other sites like these that are safe to swim in? My friends want to go back to that huge quarry I mentioned earlier, but I find that to be a bad idea since it's still in operation and there's a good chance we might get caught and fined. Last summer I tried to head down to the one off of Burrs Mill road near rt70, but I couldn't even continue driving down the road cause it was blocked by state trooper cars.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
it sounds like you were at the woodmansie pit that they are still working.if you take sooy road north from route 72 it will take you to those two pits without encountering any working pits at all.Of course if your caught you will be fined.it is not legal to swim anywhere on state wma as can be seen by reading the signs.The most likely time to get caught would be a weekend since thats when most folks hit the water but I doubt you will get caught out there.By the way have you signed up for your annual "Flatulence Permit" required by the state of NJ before expelling gaseous waste?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
shade???is that a euphimism for sacrcasm? If so you have read me correctly.
Are you death proof because your 13? When I was 13 I was immortal also,now I have joined the world of mortals.Your post would seem to put you at more of a mortal age anyway,most seem to pass into mortality around age 30,I actually made it closer to 40.Problem is even though I admit to eventual death now I still believe I'm coming back:) Still sorta deathproof after all I guess:)

Reactions: dogg57

deathproof13

May 19, 2012
mount laurel
I was born on the 13th and it's been a lucky # of mine ever since. I'm 22 btw. And Death Proof is the name of a Quentin Tarantino film. I'm pretty sure in my original post I made a mention of myself driving, so I can't really see how a 13 yr old is able to drive (well it's possible, just not legal ;) )

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I tend to find myself swimming in places I'm not supposed to be,don't know how it happens but there I am an outlaw swimmer.One thing i don't do is throw beer bottles into my swimmin hole or any other trash for that matter.It never seems to be the drunken A-Holes that throw the bottle into the pond that get cut but someone else.Alcohol and swimming don't go together anyway.I had a friend that found out the hard way in 78 at age 14.It was his last swim.What the hell was he doin drikin at that age anyway?And skippin school too.In any case if we knew you weren't a swimmin hole trasher you'd probably get more locations.
BY the way those aerials are a great way to find all sorts of neat places in the pines.Pan down near the delaware bay and you'll find more blue holes then you van ever see.Hint.If their bright blue they are probably no longer in use.If their turquoise color they are probably being used and kept stirred up.Check for booms out in the water and tipples alongside the pond.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Borrow, mooch, beg, scrounge, or buy a kayak/canoe and go have a blast in any moving water you can find! There are no headaches if you choose this route. What can be said if you "tip" your boat???;)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think the illegality of blue hole dippin adds spice to the dip.Nothing like diving in a blue hole,then again the barrens streams stay cooler longer and the tannic water is so much silkier,diving kinda sucks in it though.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
a very nice beach on the wading also just downstream from maxwell on the starboard side heading downstream.you can also drive to it through maxwell.not real deep there though.If you go down to beaver branch the channel is about seven feet deep.