Question regarding "Calico"

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Yes, I would think so too. But isn't it strange that the manager's houses were usually right next to the furnace? I'm thinking of the ones at Batsto, Martha, Allaire, Speedwell, etc. I know they wanted to keep an eye on the place, but yeah, it must have been tough for them to sleep. I wonder if there was additional industry in the Calico area.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'd like to go back to the one we were at in my post. I'd like to see whats growing in the sandy area. Soon as I get another 4 wheel drive.

"She can dance a cajun rythm, jump like a Willys in 4 wheel drive!" (Sugar Magnolia, the Dead)

BobM said:
I'd like to go back to the one we were at in my post. I'd like to see whats growing in the sandy area. Soon as I get another 4 wheel drive.

"She can dance a cajun rythm, jump like a Willys in 4 wheel drive!" (Sugar Magnolia, the Dead)

Oh, you doesn't has ta wait untills ya gets a new one. We can set a day to go back thar in mine. If'n ya don't think it's too hot.

Steve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
calico bush

i believe calico is the foundation holes on the right several hundred yards past the big puddle namely because it"s in the general location of the map you refer too and calico bush was another name for laurel which grows profusely on the left side of the road at this site and while laurel is very common where I"m from (Laurel lake) in cumberland count it"s not very common to the central barrens because it"s not as fire resistant as scrub oak which can be shown by the 2001 fire down here where vast acres of laurel have never come back while all the oak is resprouting from stumps.I think while inconclusive the location and the laurel bushes help point the way.
Al

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I think it's very probable that the newer industry reused the site of the older community. I think it's possible that the clearing with the newer foundations might represent the "redevelopment of the older "Calico". I also tend to believe that the original Calico centered around a cranberry bog and not the furnace.

Calico may represent the people displaced from Martha trying cranberry farming as an alternate way to make a living. Just a theory. As far as the true location of the former settlement, the previous commentary was more interesting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe everyone involved with this post needs to go as a group to discuss and see this as one.... Bob said when he got his new truck he would go :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
The modern ruins are much, much farther away than where the town is located on the historic maps.

I agree

Guy

Sky042

Sep 24, 2005
bruset said:
That's Calico-Warren Grove Road. It's impassible now due to a HUGE puddle, fed by a swamp.

Tom Neigel's Calico Geocache was after that puddle. I doubt anybody goes there except on foot now.
I made it through that puddle last year in a S-10 blazer with 30" Yokohama geolander AT+II's actually mine and another blazer equally equipped got through. You needed to be in 4wd for sure and get a little runnign start and stay to the left because the right side of the truck will get kinda deep but the blazer is narrow so it's less prone to falling into wider ruts. I haven't tried it now with my Blazer ZR2 with 31's and a 4inch factory lift.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The last time I was out there (with Tom) you could walk through the go-around. We walked down for a little but but didn't see anything interesting.

It's my belief that Calico disappeared when those bogs were made.