RAIN?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were in the Apple Pie Hill area early and it was raining lightly. Then headed to another location looking for rattlesnakes. No rain and no snakes. Rooftree, we then headed to the Gentian location we discussed and they are not ready. See below... and sorry for the poor photo. Then to another location and no rain. Got home around 1 or 1:30 and even now at 5:35 we have had no rain.

IMG_2094a.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Another failed forecast.

I was watching the forecast and radar constantly on Friday, as the kids were on the way down from New York with big plans for a video shoot that has been long delayed due to tragedy in my Son in Law's family. Aside from some light morning rain, it was a nice overcast day though. The rain probability for Saturday kept bouncing between 20% to 50% all day, but with no significant totals forecast.

Saturday came, with just some very light sprinkles in the morning. We set up lots of audio/video gear in the woods, spent 6 hours outside and really couldn't have asked for better weather! The overcast sky was perfect soft video lighting, with a gentle breeze blowing the trees and the sun peeking through late afternoon. It was truly the most fun we've had together in years!

So I have no complaints about the weatherman, and it was actually very educational for my 8 year old granddaughter as she learned how to "read" the weather radar and kept checking it for us. :)

I did read a story that they had 9 inches of rain in parts of PA and MD however, with lots of damage and one person killed when their car was swept away.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I commend all of you that have been able to do anything outside these last few weeks. The temps and humidity have been unbarible for the wife and I.

Autumn, 19 days to go and then, :dance:

40211159.jpg

T

Toothy Critter

I commend all of you that have been able to do anything outside these last few weeks. The temps and humidity have been unbarible for the wife and I.

I embrace the Summer. Night Fishing under the stars, with moon phases as my lantern. Silence, Serenity, and some pretty good numbers of fish. To travel around our wonderful State and explore the lakes in darkness. It is a unique experience. One that I will miss shortly."For everything, there is a season" Ever try night hiking...?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There seems to be a great disconnect between my weather forecast and current conditions. I have 80 degrees on my thermometer outdoors, and it feels every bit like it.

upload_2018-9-16_11-1-39.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Have been noticing recently... because of all the rain this summer, it still looks a lot like July around my woods. Usually it gets dry in August and leaves start falling from the trees, but everything is still nice and green this year. Can't recall a year like this in recent memory.

If conditions stay more or less the same and we don't have frost, will the trees stay green into October/November or will the shorter days trigger something?

Reactions: Toothy Critter
T

Toothy Critter

I was fishing in one of Franklin Parkers waterholes on Wednesday when I got caught in a thunderstorm that lasted maybe a half hour The sand roads were like rivers. I tried ducking under a tree for some refuge from the downpour, but the flies had the same idea, and figured while they were there they might as well use me for lunch. So I vacated the tree cover and decided to head back to my car, figuring that the flies would never bother me out in the open of the storm. Wrong.. The rain musta washed my Deet off, and to my surprise the little buggers were buzzing me in a torrential downpour! I mean....come on.....what gives with that?

Reactions: Teegate

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
will the shorter days trigger something?

That's part of it, the leaf color changes are also part of the cycle. Complex stuff. We have had a good bit of leaf drop already. Autumn is on the way, 6 more days :dance: We'll be up north the day after :dance:

T

Toothy Critter

I'm into botany, and noticed that there are still many plants I study that are behind in seed maturity. Something is up. A change is coming.

You've got my attention...but what does that mean exactly?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Storm and tornado was passing over the Chatsworth area. Hope all is okay.

Diablo2424

Scout
Sep 1, 2016
Shore
www.instagram.com
I was in Chatsworth last night, it rained pretty hard for about an hour or so around 8-9PM, then tapered off to a light drizzle on and off until 10. From 10-11 the skies cleared up a bit, some stars came out and the moon was lightning the road.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
We got very little rain here, maybe 1/10" and no significant thunder or wind. But if there's another storm coming, you won't see it on radar. ;) The two sites that cover our area - KDIX (Fort Dix) and KDOX (Dover AFB) are both down. KDOX has been down for over a week, which isn't unusual. Can't remember any recent time when they were both down together.

down.png

down2.png

Last edited: