RAIN?

T

Toothy Critter

I'm gettin' robbed...two weeks ago I was still out in the boat, fishing at night with just a pair of shorts and a hat on. Barefoot like Huck Finn on the Mississippi. Now I gotta wear flannel shirts and hoodies , long pants and windbreakers. . Dealing with temps 10-15 degrees below normal, and winds coming this week like Novermber fronts. New rule on this site!!!! No more ****** happy faces in posts about "OOOHHHH, I really love this ****** weather" :mad:

Reactions: Teegate

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No more ****** happy faces in posts about "OOOHHHH, I really love this ****** weather" :mad:

Be happy, ice fishing will be here soon. ;)

166290188.jpg

Reactions: dogg57

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Now it would be nice if the sun would actually appear and dry things out a bit. Has been in very short supply around here - cloudy, damp and cold ever since the hurricane.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
WORST OCTOBER I EVER REMEMBERED

Why?

The storm still seems very tentative:

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
405 AM EDT Tue Oct 23 2018

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central Delaware, northern
Delaware, southern Delaware, central New Jersey, northern New
Jersey, southern New Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania.

.DAY ONE...Today and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Wednesday through Monday.

There is potential for frost or freeze conditions on Thursday night
in areas where the growing season continues.

A coastal low is expected to affect the region this weekend.
Considerable uncertainty remains in the timing and track of the low
and resultant sensible weather impacts to the area.
However, there is
potential for strong winds, coastal flooding, and heavy rain, which
may result in localized freshwater flooding. Stay tuned to the
latest forecasts.

T

Toothy Critter

Because almost every day has some factor that intrudes on my fishing. If its not raining, its cold. If its not cold or raining, its windy.. I realize that everyone goes out and walks in the woods and to them this weather is welcome But try sitting in a boat in the middle of an open lake in these winds. I can almost bet that the average temp this month is way below normal. But really I'm just b****ing :bang:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I can almost bet that the average temp this month is way below normal.

Well, except for today, which is turning out very nice, it will not be getting out of the 50's during the day for the foreseeable future, maybe until April ;). Fishing should pick up as the possible nor-easter develops over the next few days. It's all up to Willa.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Rain forecast is increasing, but it doesn't sound much different from other recent storms.

Friday Night
Rain, mainly after 8pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 50. East wind 7 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible
Saturday
Rain. High near 63. East wind 6 to 16 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well, except for today, which is turning out very nice, it will not be getting out of the 50's during the day for the foreseeable future, maybe until April ;)

April must be comin' :D

"Saturday: high near 64.
Wednesday: high near 63.
Thursday: high near 66."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Get ready for some more rain. ;)

Monday Night
Rain. Low around 44. East wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Tuesday
Showers before 1pm, then rain likely between 1pm and 4pm, then showers likely after 4pm. High near 58. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Plenty of puddles out there today. A couple were pretty deep. The rain is postponing some of my visit to various places.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm into botany, and noticed that there are still many plants I study that are behind in seed maturity. Something is up. A change is coming.

There have been virtually no acorns at all in my oak-pine woods this year. The difference is really striking compared to other years, almost never heard them dropping on the roof or car. Was looking at a branch that blew down, and the acorns are just tiny immature buds. Aside from the squirrels, could this mean a rough winter for other animals?

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/public-service-announcement.12245/
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/its-a-nutty-fall-for-sure.10818/

T

Toothy Critter

No acorns means a mild winter. A late falling of them indicates a late winter. Nature has her ways