RAIN?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That map doesn't look quite right IMO. It shows me in the 3 to 4 inch zone. There was about 3" of rain in my wheelbarrow Sunday morning, then we had steady rain for many hours from late afternoon thru overnight.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Says 4.01 inches for me, still think that's too low. Rainfall data like that usually is based on radar which is low resolution - each pixel is about 1400x1400 feet. But anyway... it was a lot of rain!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Some people have been getting rain today but hardly any here (yet). But I've been busy writing code - just updated my nexrad app to add geodata - as you move the map, the county and state are now shown at the top left. This is the first test of a new technique I've developed to encode data in a map and decode it quickly in realtime. As before, the radar imagery automatically updates every three minutes and the time of the latest update is now shown at the bottom left.

Am working on some bigger geodatasets to use in the main boydsmaps app in the future.

https://boydsmaps.com/nexrad/#9.00/40.0680/-74.1914

nexrad_update.png

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Working on the nexrad app some more... it now includes USGS boundaries of 77,046 continental US Incorporated Places, Unincorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions which stream in realtime as you move the map around. This is definitely still beta software but seems to work pretty well. You'll see names of cities in other states sometimes as you move but it's usually correct when you stop. Every now and then it throws an obvious error though, it tends to work better when you zoom in farther.

Anyway, welcome to my ongoing experiment in embedding lots of data in a map and accessing it quickly. :)

https://boydsmaps.com/nexrad/#9/39.2188/-74.9988

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.45.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: enormiss

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
As much as one to two inches of rain is forecast for tonight, into tomorrow morning. And the Poconos are supposed to get some significant snow and ice!

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.16.14 AM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Snow to the North and West, but we are getting rain again - which is fine by me :)

Sunday: Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Sunday Night: Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Monday: Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.