Raised trail?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't know what it is, but it isn't something solid like a tree or a pipe. Looks like maybe an artifact where the camera made a "stripe" of the image darker. Maybe it was caused by an object in the foreground - like a branch - that is completely blurred to the point of being invisible?

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 1.08.04 PM.png

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I don't know what it is, but it isn't something solid like a tree or a pipe. Looks like maybe an artifact where the camera made a "stripe" of the image darker. Maybe it was caused by an object in the foreground - like a branch - that is completely blurred to the point of being invisible?

View attachment 21220

No, I don't think it is something solid like a tree or pipe, or a camera artifact, or a shadow. It looks like water to me, a small trench, most likely a stream. The rest of what looks like a wide stream may be mud - or maybe it's an underground pipe related to that raised trail.

If I wasn't 2,500 miles away I'd go there myself today!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The shadow of what? I don't see anything there to cast that long shadow. Also, It looks like it was mid-day with the sun coming from high overhead. Also, I think there's more vegetation in the dark place than the light. I think it's a trench.
Did you click on the photo to take a close look? You can still see the water behind the shadow.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Yes, Bobpbx, that's what I'm speaking of, what u r calling a shadow, except your encircled area goes too high. What looks like a stream of water gets lost in the grass around and above that horizontal branch.

"You can still see the water behind the shadow."

Don't know what u mean by "behind the shadow", but the "shadow" looks like water to me. To the left and right of "the shadow" it looks like mud with some water, especially to the left of the "shadow".

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, Bobpbx, that's what I'm speaking of, what u r calling a shadow, except your encircled area goes too high. What looks like a stream of water gets lost in the grass around and above that horizontal branch.

"You can still see the water behind the shadow."

Don't know what u mean by "behind the shadow", but the "shadow" looks like water to me. To the left and right of "the shadow" it looks like mud with some water, especially to the left of the "shadow".
What I meant by "you can still see the water behind the shadow" is simply my way of proving that it's not a solid object, otherwise it should not show the water.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think it's all water, but something is making it look darker inside the area that Bob has outlined.
The shadow is making it look darker. After all, it's nothing but a shadow, which means something is blocking the sunlight. The most likely cause of the shadow is that log. This time of year the sun is low, you know.

Last edited:

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
This is much ado about nothing I guess, but here is the "shadow" enlarged. The texture of the so-called shadow looks like water with little wavelets compared to the adjoining "mud". Different surface.

Also, judging by the sunlight and shadows on the leaves and branches it seems to be midday with the sun coming from more of less overhead, not dawn or dusk with long shadows.

Ooops...that needs some more work. The enlarged bit didn't come out...

Attachments

• 500XNJPB image.jpg
    500XNJPB image.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
It's not a tree
Why can't you see?
It's not green ham
It's not a damn
It's not ice cream
It's just a stream!

It could use some additional pixels.

I do not think it’s as you say
I do not see it quite your way
See it my way, if you can.
See it my way, Pan-I-Am!

Reactions: Pan

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Alright, you've given me an excuse to go out there Pan.

Can you find that exact place again? If I'm wrong - but I'm never wrong - the last time they thought I was wrong was in 1861 but it turned out I was right and they were wrong! - but if I'm wrong, I'll throw my hat up in a tree - or mail u my hat to throw up for me - and ever after the place can be known as Pan's Hat, NJ.

• Haha
Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found the exact place, yes. This is my track. Dash, you did not have a GPS, did you? It appears that as you saw the wall of shrubs and briar, you kept moving (subconciously maybe--we do it all the time) until you saw an opening, and you assumed you had the right place. More after dinner.

1700175209194.png

Reactions: DashRyan

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The wall of briar 15 feet in front of the canal following the line that should have been.
1700175783659.png

Me wondering if Dash went through here. Me thinks no.
1700175855897.png

But I did, and reaching the canal, I was sure it was not the spot he photographed.
1700176019985.png

But Dash found a good spot to go in. No struggle at all.
1700176115657.png

• Haha
Reactions: DashRyan and Pan