Raised trail?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is the Dash spot. Note the abscence of the shadow.
1700180648895.png

Here, I stab the shadow to death.
1700180913316.png

But not to worry. The sun is in the south this time of year, and there just happens to be a tree on the other side of the canal, but I was maybe an hour too late to see it cast its Pan-driven spell.
1700181119891.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
But, I did find something very interesting at the Dash spot. He may have stumbled upon a spot that was used to cross by someone in the distant past. I was probing the canal bed on either side of the log, and I was surprised to have the stick tap on something 12" wide and very flat. At first I thought it was a dance floor, but it seems to be a large cedar(?) log that has been sawn to provide a bridge of some sort. I'm not positive of this, but it sure seems like it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As I said, it was on both sides of the log and it started at the bank. It seems immovable, so maybe it's now wedged in tight. When I felt underwater, this is what it felt like (a cross section of a log with a very flat top). Perhaps they cut it at the old saw mill just a few hundred yards away.
1700182254677.png

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
But, I did find something very interesting at the Dash spot. He may have stumbled upon a spot that was used to cross by someone in the distant past. I was probing the canal bed on either side of the log, and I was surprised to have the stick tap on something 12" wide and very flat. At first I thought it was a dance floor, but it seems to be a large cedar(?) log that has been sawn to provide a bridge of some sort. I'm not positive of this, but it sure seems like it.

Reactions: Pan

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
The shadow of what? I don't see anything there to cast that long shadow. Also, It looks like it was mid-day with the sun coming from high overhead. Also, I think there's more vegetation in the dark place than the light. I think it's a trench.
That's the tail end of the mill race (canal?) From Dover forge. I was facing west.
You got a lot closer to the water than I was willing to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_131755_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_131755_Chrome.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 38

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That's neat. How far down was it?
Maybe 10" or a bit less. I did not even go up to my elbow. We'd have to somehow dam a portion of the canal to route the water around it, a cofferdam deal. But we could also try to dig it out while in the water....or see if it goes all the way across

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
Maybe 10" or a bit less. I did not even go up to my elbow. We'd have to somehow dam a portion of the canal to route the water around it, a cofferdam deal. But we could also try to dig it out while in the water....or see if it goes all the way across
That is some Curse of Oak Island energy right there!
It would be great if the floodgcotrol gates were still there.

Reactions: Boyd and Pan

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Can you find that exact place again? If I'm wrong - but I'm never wrong - the last time they thought I was wrong was in 1861 but it turned out I was right and they were wrong! - but if I'm wrong, I'll throw my hat up in a tree - or mail u my hat to throw up for me - and ever after the place can be known as Pan's Hat, NJ.

Where should I send my hat?

:(

• Haha
Reactions: DashRyan and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Seriously though, it makes me happy to know that deep within the Pine Barrens it still remains the same.

Below - Pine Branch Creek 22 Sep 1971.

pinelandpaddler - I too used to be a pineland paddler. Unfortunately I can't figure out a way to make that rhyme with green ham. If I could I would, Pan I am!​

Attachments

• njpb pine branch creek 22sep1971.jpg
    njpb pine branch creek 22sep1971.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: stiltzkin