Re-Exploring the Forked River Mountains

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
This place looks like people can really get out there and not be bothered by a ranger presence. Might check this place out, anyone tell me a good place to explore?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This place looks like people can really get out there and not be bothered by a ranger presence. Might check this place out, anyone tell me a good place to explore?

Route 539 south past Whiting, and make a left on the sand road after the big fire tower. (Around mile marker 16 I believe?)

From there, have fun. Make sure you bring a topo map and check for puddles.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Question, I drive a Toyota Camry, will I be able to drive this sand road ok?

You can get down it a ways, at least to the remains of the base of the old fire tower.

I personally wouldn't bring a non-4WD vehicle back there, but I know at least one person who has.

Here's a link to a topo map of the area. Terraserver seems to running very slow, so it looks like it will take a while to load.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.865611757842025&lng=-74.36961062225339&z=14&type=topo&gpx=

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In the dead of summer you can drive it. I would not go there now. And even in the summer you need to be really careful in certain area's. I drive a Ford Focus and have been on the top of the mountain with it a few times.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
You all talk about the new bridges and the old bridges.Prior to the State buying the Wharton Estate Y0u drove through the water....NO BRIDGES AT ALL.

Reactions: Boyd