Red Bank, NJ

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
I am finding references to Red Bank, NJ in the early 1900's. The only Red Bank I know of is in Monmouth County. It seems a little far for them to have traveled to get married and die. Was there a town by the name of Red Bank In the Pine Barrens region in the early 1900's?

Marcia

I am finding references to Red Bank, NJ in the early 1900's. The only Red Bank I know of is in Monmouth County. It seems a little far for them to have traveled to get married and die. Was there a town by the name of Red Bank In the Pine Barrens region in the early 1900's?

Marcia

Marcia:

The only other Red Bank I know about was a mid-nineteenth-century subdivision located in present-day West Deptford, Gloucester County. It sits just north of National Park Borough. Red Bank Avenue out of Woodbury leads to the Delaware River and the site of the slips from the former ferry operation. During the latter part of the twentieth century, before the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Closed down, a small pedestrian ferryboat operated between a finger pier at the end of Red Bank Avenue and the Navy Yard to transport those who lived in New Jersey and worked at the yard. The other notable facility located in Red Bank is Soupy Island, a fabled day resort for inner-city children to escape the heat and dangers of the city for a day of fun. The name comes from the fact that the canteen there often served soup. The park, begun by the Smith family of Philadelphia, boasts of a fully operational original carousel and other forms of amusements. At one time, the park had its own steamboat to transport the children, but that disappeared many years ago.

I do not know if this is the correct Red Bank for your scenario, but it the only one in New Jersey outside of the one in Monmouth County.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Red Bank is the other name for Fort Mercer, which is located in what now is National Park, NJ. During the Revolutionary War there was a battle (the Battle of Red Bank) fought there.

441px-HessianMapMudIsland.jpg