Religious experience in the Pine's anyone?

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Does anyone here find visiting the pine's, or perhaps specific sections of the pines is like a religious experience?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Does anyone here find visiting the pine's, or perhaps specific sections of the pines is like a religious experience?

God reveals himself through his creation. Before I was a christian I could not wander the pines without wondering how all this happened. I can find God anywhere, the place has nothing to do with it, but some places feel special. The pines are one of those places for me.

Acts 17:24-27

24(A) The God who made the world and everything in it, being(B) Lord of heaven and earth,(C) does not live in temples made by man,[a] 25nor is he served by human hands,(D) as though he needed anything, since he himself(E) gives to all mankind(F) life and breath and everything. 26And(G) he made from one man every nation of mankind to live(H) on all the face of the earth,(I) having determined allotted periods and(J) the boundaries of their dwelling place, 27(K) that they should seek God, in the hope that(L) they might feel their way toward him and find him.(M) Yet he is actually not far from each one of us,

romans 1:19
19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
I find the solitude of the pines to be one of the most peaceful locations I have experienced next to my all time favorite of the Adirondacks. Certainly a place of where great reflection can occur. Not to go off topic but for me also provides a very romantic setting with the proper company.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Religious? Hmmm...

One suggested etymology of "religion" is that it derives from "religio", meaning "to relink", ie. reconnect one's soul to its source. The Pines give me a childhood nostalgia that has kept me from forgetting who I am. The history of the Pines, as well as its natural beauty, also gives me a humble sense of my small participation in a great world. Too poetic?

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Wow ! Great responses.

I hear God speak to me often when in the isolation of the pines.

I would enjoy a "fellowship" group that meets outdoors in the Pines say near Warren Grove.

Anyone interested. I have a great location available.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have what I call power spots.These spots are always a comfortable place to site with a commanding view either of a panorama like you can get from certain areas of the plains or up and down a cedar swamp stream.As far as God (by whom I mean YHWH/Yeshua) goes I think he is everywhere,not just in the pines,I just think he may be easier to listen to there.I can't think as clearly anywhere else as i can after about a half an hour sitting in a pwer spot.I don't know if thats what you mean by a religious experience or not.Thats just me thinking to myself.If i actually want to hear God talk to me I"ll come back to this website and read those verses you put up.Someday i won't have to settle for reading his book,there will be a face to face encounter.Right now it would kill me,I"ll wait for his time:)
Al
ps,a nice power spot is on top of spring hill.it's a lone pine tree that sticks well up above all the stunted pines.it's visible just north of the pit that faces bear swamp hill.you have to bushwack about 100 yeards or better to get to this tree.I used to climb it before i got fat and it was a mighty power spot till one of my friends who i won;t mention who,climbed it and broke off a major limb.I don't think i climbed it since.It was quite the power spot and last time i was out there the tree was still there.It's about 20 ft tall but looks taller because it's surrounded by midgets and if you head north from the pit overlookin bear swamp hill it will soon become visible to your left if you take the road toward long causeway.If you weigh over 180 please do not climb this tree.I stay on the gorund now:)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Religious? Hmmm...

One suggested etymology of "religion" is that it derives from "religio", meaning "to relink", ie. reconnect one's soul to its source. The Pines give me a childhood nostalgia that has kept me from forgetting who I am. The history of the Pines, as well as its natural beauty, also gives me a humble sense of my small participation in a great world. Too poetic?

Not at all. I am not a religious person, and I think you've put it perfectly. :)

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Religious? Hmmm...

Amen to that.

I come from Sue's court in regard to "religion," but can use PLP's final sentence, especially when talking about natural beauty and the sense of humbleness one acquires. I remember the first time I paddled up the Tulpehocken River and laid eyes on its meadows. A religious experience. I also remember the first time I headed to the barrens to record, when about three pine barren tree frogs, two Fowlers toads, a handful of peepers, and a few scattered leopard frogs put on a little "this is for the first timer" show (yet to be surpassed). A religious experience.

Alfie, I've apologized to you a hundred times about that limb. I tried glueing it back on; remember?

Bill

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Religious? Hmmm...

Well put. I am not religious but I can truly agree with this sentiment exactly.

I guess you could say that if the Pines was a religion, we would all be religious!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bill,

I know you apologized.Thas why i haven't tried to climb that tree in many years.After seeing what you did to it at 180 can you imagine what I'd do to it now?If I was to damage the tree worse then you did I'd never har the end of it because after 20 some years you still haven't heard the end of it:)
By the way the screech owl recording was awesome.Coule barely hear the great horned owl but I didn't hear a lot of man made stuff interfering.Woulda been nice if you could have gotten closer.You need to find his singing trees,probably owl pellets under em.
Alfie

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes.

Yesterday, I was standing by a large grassy meadow at noon. Pine trees were visible in the distance at the border. It was windy and warm, and the grasses and other plants of various sizes, colors, and beauty all their own were waving gently in the breeze, making a softly sighing sound. The sky was bright blue, and the clouds scattered, puffy and white. It was serene and wonderful. It moved me enough to say the Lord's Prayer aloud.

Folks:

If you are seeking a religious experience in the Pines, I suggest you visit here:

Pleasant_Mills_Methodist_1808.jpg

This circa 1905 post card image depicts the 1808 Pleasant Mills Methodist Episcopal Church in a state little changed from its original construction except for the very necessary double screen doors on the left-hand entryway—most likely first constructed as the entrance for women. Mosquitoes and other flying insects could become quite pesky during a warm summer Sunday evening hymn sing and those screen doors barred entrée to the bloodsucking swarms while allowing some good air circulation. Note the picket fence around the burial ground and through the trees you can see the pyramidal stone monument atop Jesse Richards’s grave.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice card. I wonder if the bridge is out :D

Thanks Jerseyman.

Guy