Resistance Grows to the New Plan to Close 200 Miles of Roads in Wharton State Forest

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

I think this is a really well written article that gives equal attention to both sides of the issue.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
And in other news:

It has a pay wall, but in the preview:
"Environmentalists say those who frequently use illegal vehicles, such as quads, in the Pine Barrens-based forest, are most likely to oppose the plan to eliminate hundreds of miles of trails in the forest from a map used to delineate approved trails and roads within the state park."

I can only guess the quote was provided by Everyone's Favorite Environmental Activist. I wonder, since it is already illegal to use quads on State lands, if the road closures do come to fruition, will that make them illegal illegal users? In any case, if one opposes the planned closures that person must be an illegal user, so at least we know that.

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
>"Environmentalists say those who frequently use illegal vehicles, such as quads, in the Pine Barrens-based forest, are most likely to oppose the plan to eliminate hundreds of miles of trails in the forest from a map used to delineate approved trails and roads within the state park."

Yes, having a new map that shows where people can drive legally will certainly cut down on the number of people operating illegal vehicles in the woods.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I honestly have never seen a quad in Wharton, but I only got over there about 4 or 5 times a year.
I see them occasionally but no where near as many as I see in the WMAs. A month or so ago I saw some flying down Atsion Rd on the pavement in front of the cabins. At least 2 to 3 riders per quad and only 1/2 had helmets. Maybe they didn’t know that was illegal. Surely the new visitor map will solve that:D

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
One of the statements I keep hearing from those in favor of this map is that 98% of Wharton is no more then a mile hike from an approved road. Thats only if, you count West Mill Road. Everyone here knows it is not connected to any approved route or paved road. Making that statement completely false. Thousands of acres are over that one mile hike and I would be willing to bet some areas are twice that.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
One of the statements I keep hearing from those in favor of this map is that 98% of Wharton is no more then a mile hike from an approved road. Thats only if, you count West Mill Road. Everyone here knows it is not connected to any approved route or paved road. Making that statement completely false. Thousands of acres are over that one mile hike and I would be willing to bet some areas are twice that.
Ah, the West Mill Road question. A thoughtful strategy along with concentrated and sustained pressure must be used to resolve that issue.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
John Cecil “to which an additional 10-mile stretch was actually added.”

Maybe John has the key to take us down that rd…

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ

I’d like to see how they came up with that. Even with west mill I don’t think 98% is within 1mi…

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I’d like to see how they came up with that. Even with west mill I don’t think 98% is within 1mi…

It's a talking point cooked up from Carleton Montgomery's little "GIS exercise" that he told Rob about back in 2015 when they were discussing how to strengthen the argument for the old MAP proposal. It's in the OPRA request that I got from Rob's emails back then. To my knowledge it's never been independently verified to be true and even if it is we all know that it's next to impossible to walk a straight line through the woods without being stopped by walls of impassible briars, swamps, rivers, etc. It's not realistic if you're trying to portage a kayak or canoe with your family or drag a buck back to your truck during hunting season.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's a talking point cooked up from Carleton Montgomery's little "GIS exercise" that he told Rob about back in 2015 when they were discussing how to strengthen the argument for the old MAP proposal. It's in the OPRA request that I got from Rob's emails back then. To my knowledge it's never been independently verified to be true and even if it is we all know that it's next to impossible to walk a straight line through the woods without being stopped by walls of impassible briars, swamps, rivers, etc. It's not realistic if you're trying to portage a kayak or canoe with your family or drag a buck back to your truck during hunting season.
Not to mention the damn deer flies and ticks in the summer, along with the humidity.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Moore Deer Club, Tabernacle.

P2050004.JPG

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
John Cecil “to which an additional 10-mile stretch was actually added.”

Maybe John has the key to take us down that rd…
I think that the new road is Push line Road. Since it’s not a true road but was a Fireline. Now they want to call it a road and act like they gave us something even though I’ve been driving it nearly my entire life.