Retreat Preserve...A PBX Special Hike

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I am up for a challenge. I do 4-5 miles a day. You geezers would have a tough time keeping up with me. However, I would truly truly appreciate it. I love the pines as much as you all do. I got a very private tour of the Wharton Mansion today. I was even permitted up to the tower (not open to the public anymore) and the basement. It was lovely!!! Tours start Feb 16. But got a " behind the scenes look" I of course checked out more areas today. All by my Pineywoman self. I LOVED it. Godfreys bridge to Harrisville then some dirt roads out by Oswego outlining the Parker Preserve. Also checked out Greenbank area.

I'm in heaven. Was there until dark.

I don't mind getting dirty, rolling, climbing over stuff, getting wet. I'm game. You need to start teaching the younger generation (hint hint) so that we can pass the piney love on for future generations.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Merp Merp Boyd. You are a part of the NJ Pine Barrens Forum Group. Ha! I guess we accept you :) The question is do you accept us? Um yea. I do need to mention that I did explore the pines today in a dress with my boots on. Hahaha. However, for PBX Pineywoman will dress down and dirty. Bring it on old people! See if you can keep up! Don't worry I'll bring the Tums, Depends, and Ex-Lax for you....not to mention your Polident!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am up for a challenge. I do 4-5 miles a day. You geezers would have a tough time keeping up with me. However, I would truly truly appreciate it. I love the pines as much as you all do. I got a very private tour of the Wharton Mansion today. I was even permitted up to the tower (not open to the public anymore) and the basement. It was lovely!!! Tours start Feb 16. But got a " behind the scenes look" I of course checked out more areas today. All by my Pineywoman self. I LOVED it. Godfreys bridge to Harrisville then some dirt roads out by Oswego outlining the Parker Preserve. Also checked out Greenbank area.

I'm in heaven. Was there until dark.

I don't mind getting dirty, rolling, climbing over stuff, getting wet. I'm game. You need to start teaching the younger generation (hint hint) so that we can pass the piney love on for future generations.

Your post are changing :) You seem to be challenging us old geezers and I for one am up for that one. You have quite a bit to learn for sure. You would have hated where Al and I was today. His dog even hated it and thats saying something. Anyway, I really hope Bob opens up the next PBX hike so we can see what you are made of. You better hope it is titanium.

Guy

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Don't get me started, Mr. Teegate. Seriously. Don't worry. I will snap off a white cedar branch to make a cane for you as I am staring at you wobbling from a half mile away. Just saying would be nice to get involved with folks that are passionate. Can have fun, explore, and can keep up. Hee haw. I'll cook us up some coon' too. Hahaha

Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You need to start teaching the younger generation (hint hint) so that we can pass the piney love on for future generations.

That's a tall order Pineywoman.
Getting a young person out of the house and away from the high def tv and his or her meaningless social networking world should be every parent's priority. Sadly, that isn't happening and I don't see any change coming in the future because a lot of the parents are just as lost.

I was in the woods at 6 this morning setting up a predator calling spot, checked my trap line at 10 and I bow hunted from early afternoon until dark tonight. No tangible results from any of those activities today.
I saw several deer, my friend missed a buck with his recurve and I watched a redtail hawk circle and perch over my calling station at first light this morning.
The intangibles are what will keep me doing this until I wake up on the wrong side of the dirt.

It sounds like you have the proper mindset and I look forward to the next PBX open invite.

Scott

:guinness:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Don't get me started, Mr. Teegate. Seriously. Don't worry. I will snap off a white cedar branch to make a cane for you as I am staring at you wobbling from a half mile away. Just saying would be nice to get involved with folks that are passionate. Can have fun, explore, and can keep up. Hee haw. I'll cook us up some coon' too. Hahaha

Don't take offense to this but you really are clueless as to what it is like to really explore the woods.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
No I'm just joking around. I can "crick" stomp for miles. Softball 176 strikeouts in a season ( pitcher). I work out miles daily. I have hiked the Grand Canyon. I think you think I am some dim wit girly girl. However, I can KILL the boys any day. In fact, I'm going to do 10 miles tonight jogging/walking, just cause I can. All I'm saying is I'm ready for the Piney Power challenge. Lets rock n' roll. Don't worry, I will carry some aspirin in case you guys have a heart attack.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have two words-GREEN HAZE!

Al and I were in it today looking for stones. It was a real struggle and my legs and hands are still burning from it. This photo of Chris tells it all about the haze.

IMG_1670.JPG

Guy

Reactions: pineywoman

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It was a real struggle and my legs and hands are still burning from it.

A wall of briers hanging in brush taller than a man is some of the hardest hiking you can do. My favorites are the dry spikes at ear/cheek height.

You have to admit the girl has spunk!:D

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Just got done 10 miles. Close to 2 hours, but not bad. What what? Teegate that looks quite nasty sir, but I'm sure you still had a blast!! See worth it even though your arm is on fire :) You are the truest piney.

- Piney "Spunk" Woman. Is right!

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Belated thanks, Jerseyman, for the fascinating sequence of Retreat history you detailed for us. The statement about "children in the neighborhood" caught my eye too, but I had no idea of the subtext. With Dickens' ghost hovering near, I wonder: how common was child labor exploitation in those days?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't doubt that Pineywoman can out walk some of us geezers distance wise,she's young and that makes for stamina.I also doubt she's a sissy and minds getting dirty but if there is anything that will take the pee and vinegar out of her it is the HAZE.My dog is one tough Lab and after getting her home a couple days ago she slept most of 18 hours straight.We all had a touhg time and I thought we were going to airlift Guy out as he was trapped for quite awhile.I had one advantage,I way well over 200 lbs and I got mad an thrashed my way out.This is a technique to be avoided till last resorts.It involves getting really mad and just freaking out on the HAZE.It can get you out but it will leave you scarred for weeks.My arms legs and forehead look like I've been in a barbed wire war.Unfortunately for you Pineywoman I don't think you have the size for thrashing and while small I think your much too large to slip through the haze unscathed.I hope you can fly if the PBX runs into anything mean.I say we do another Makepeace route!I wasn't on that one but I know Makepeace well and I accurately predicted it would ravage the PBX. Of course they were up to the challenge.I will be very interested to see how this turns out.

Belated thanks, Jerseyman, for the fascinating sequence of Retreat history you detailed for us. The statement about "children in the neighborhood" caught my eye too, but I had no idea of the subtext. With Dickens' ghost hovering near, I wonder: how common was child labor exploitation in those days?

Gloria:

Child labor exploitation is as old as the most ancient civilization. In this country, from the seventeenth century on, parents would often place their children in household settings to learn “the mysteries of the domestic sciences.” With the advent of the industrial revolution(s), child labor became commonplace, whether in a textile mill or working in a coal breaker. The reformist movement of the late nineteenth century began to address the problem with a series of child-labor law and by appointing government officials to investigate and mitigate such practices. Here in New Jersey, the state lawmakers approved the position of Factory Inspector in 1884. This person and his subordinates would not only check for child-labor abuses, but also inquire about their schooling and whether the children played hooky to work rather than attend classes. In a rural setting like Retreat, more opportunity existed for exploitation with virtual impunity unless one of the children suffered injury or death. In that case, the newspapers would usually play up the incident to gain readership; “if it bleeds, it leads” is a very old adage in journalism circles!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
This photo of Chris tells it all about the haze.

I still have scars on my arms from that hike! I remeber at one point Guy, you and I were very close to breaking out onto a road to freedom but it was just a wall of brier for the last 30 yards or so we had to just bull through, we wanted out of the brier that bad! I have a picture somewhere of Tom Long-A-Coming cut up good on that trip. We had the heat to contend with that day also. That entire hike was a tough one! Jess was first back to the vehicles that day.

Chris

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Gloria:

Child labor exploitation is as old as the most ancient civilization. In this country, from the seventeenth century on, parents would often place their children in household settings to learn “the mysteries of the domestic sciences.” With the advent of the industrial revolution(s), child labor became commonplace, whether in a textile mill or working in a coal breaker. The reformist movement of the late nineteenth century began to address the problem with a series of child-labor law and by appointing government officials to investigate and mitigate such practices. Here is New Jersey, the state lawmakers approved the position of Factory Inspector in 1884. This person and his subordinates would not only check for child-labor abuses, but also inquire about their schooling and whether the children played hooky to work rather than attend classes. In a rural setting like Retreat, more opportunity existed for exploitation with virtual impunity unless one of the children suffered injury or death. In that case, the newspapers would usually play up the incident to gain readership; “if it bleeds, it leads” is a very old adage in journalism circles!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thank you, Jerseyman. The subject definitely has possibilities--perhaps I may do a little studying (guess where?) in the spring!
Glo