Revisit to Lower Mill

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
On Saturday, the Pine Barren Explorers could not resist going back to Lower Mill. It is such a neat area with a lot of hidden little spots along the stream. We started out close to the Mill and went upstream to Turkey Buzzard Bridge. We all had a really good time. The day was not as wet as we thought it would be, and the company, as always was good. We gave it an 8.625 out of 10. Not bad at all.

Here are the guys who started out (besides yours truly); Mickey, Tom, Gabe, Scott, and Jeff.

IMG_0538_%28Small%29.JPG

Our first canal crossing was tough on those of us who only had knee boots.

normal_IMG_0539_%28Small%29.JPG

This is the site of Lower Mill according to Jeff. He found something there you’ll see a photo of later. Scott took the photo.

normal_IMG_0542_%28Small%29.JPG

The Sulfur Spring. It is actually a spring. There is a lot of clay in this area, but it does not explain the white coloring coming out of this spring that smells like sulfur.

normal_IMG_0543_%28Small%29.JPG

There are some nice inclines down to the river in this area. Here’s a shot of the boys from about ¾ of the way down.

normal_IMG_0546_%28Small%29.JPG

Tom at a nice little stream coming in to join the main one. There were several along the way. Beautiful country.

normal_IMG_0548_%28Small%29.JPG

I got across, but then Jeff broke the log, so the rest of them had to go upstream to find a suitable crossing. Those with hip boots held on to the log and crossed. The current is strong the whole way on Bispham’s Mill Creek. It seems always in a rush to become the mighty Rancocas.

normal_IMG_0552_%28Small%29.JPG

Now Gabe points and asks Jeff to try the strength of the log. He does not want it to snap while he is on it.

normal_IMG_0553_%28Small%29.JPG

Sure enough, it snapped. You can see the others dejectedly going upstream while Jeff and Tom cross.

normal_IMG_0554_%28Small%29.JPG

We found a Hunter’s Bridge, and the rest crossed easily. This is Mickey.

normal_IMG_0556_%28Small%29.JPG

Found a couple bogs that are good flower spots. These are pretty exciting to me. They are just like Webbs Mill, but the vegetation has never been scraped down to the sand. I’d like to do that.

normal_IMG_0557_%28Small%29.JPG

Another little stream joining the creek.

normal_IMG_0560_%28Small%29.JPG

Big Country this is.

normal_IMG_0562_%28Small%29.JPG

We met the big man himself, Steve, at the bridge. He is sidelined from hiking for a little while. We went and had a couple beers. That is a story in itself. I had a great time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sounds like a great time. It must have been nice to have Mickey back? He always adds to the day.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A few more pics:

Gabe amazed us with his ability to knock over full grown pines:
normal_the_low_down_on_lower_mill_PBX_hike_march_o7_001.jpg

Taking a break on a long forgotten causeway across a long forgotten lake.
normal_the_low_down_on_lower_mill_PBX_hike_march_o7_002.jpg

Bob, not having brought a lunch was forced to scavenge for beatles
normal_the_low_down_on_lower_mill_PBX_hike_march_o7_003.jpg

the oxbow lake
normal_the_low_down_on_lower_mill_PBX_hike_march_o7_010.jpg

Gabe gives a thumbs up after reaching the waypoint; a beach at the river turn complete with a lagoon
normal_the_low_down_on_lower_mill_PBX_hike_march_o7_015%7E0.jpg

Contemplating life and rivers
normal_the_low_down_on_lower_mill_PBX_hike_march_o7_016.jpg

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
As always, a great time with great people.
This area is a real treasure and hidden by just a few hundred yards of woods from a major public road.
I would venture that most people that live within a 5 miles of it, with the exception of hunters, have never seen it.

While approaching Lower Mill from the east side of the stream, Bob spotted this partially buried. Jeff held it for photos.
It is one of the best preserved examples of an early colonial Hennweigh that I have ever seen:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=281&pos=31

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=281&pos=26

Scott

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Despite a previous night of many beers and little sleep, I had a great time hiking in a special part of the Pines previously unknown to me and with a great group of people. Thanks, fellas.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have to give Jeff credit for seeing this first. I am really intrigued by this item. The chances are high is was made at a local iron forge of the time, perhaps Retreat?

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10177/hennway_too.jpg

Jeff, knowing how you and Claire love Batsto, you oughta take Jack down there on a nice sunny day this spring and bring the photo of the mystery item. Show it to the guys in the sawmill, see if they can match it up.

I have to give Jeff credit for seeing this first. I am really intrigued by this item. The chances are high is was made at a local iron forge of the time, perhaps Retreat?

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10177/hennway_too.jpg

Jeff and Bob:

Bob, you have a good idea to show this to the folks at the Batsto sawmill. In viewing the above image, my initial reaction to the item is a guide and delimiter spring for an up-and-down saw blade, the typical type of equipment used in most Pineland sawmills. The invention of a suitable circular sawblade did not occur until the 1830s and sawyers did not begin to accept the new technology until at least the 1850s. Following the Civil War, most major lumber processing mills employed large bandsaw blades in cutting lumber. The up-and-down sawblade mimicked the action of pit sawing, only mechanical power replaced the sawyers of old.

Please let us know if you learn anything further about this object.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I had a blast last Saturday guys thank you. A great big thanks to Gabe and Mickey for pulling me out of the quicksand, I mean bog mud on a couple occasions. All of you guys were bursting with knowlegde on a plethora of subjects I tried to soak in as much as possible. I really like to get into the soil and water on these hikes, literally! I have a lot to learn about these woods gentlemen. I learned a little from each of you guys. Hey that Mickey is a class act, he treated me and Gabe to a little Nova Scotian folk music while driving to Mary Ann, and he has mad knowledge about the Pines. It was good to see Scott, a very impressive woodsman. Bob you made that water crossing look like you were stepping over a small puddle! Great trip Jeff I look forward to many more adventures with you guys!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had a blast last Saturday guys thank you. A great big thanks to Gabe and Mickey for pulling me out of the quicksand, I mean bog mud on a couple occasions. All of you guys were bursting with knowlegde on a plethora of subjects I tried to soak in as much as possible. I really like to get into the soil and water on these hikes, literally! I have a lot to learn about these woods gentlemen. I learned a little from each of you guys. Hey that Mickey is a class act, he treated me and Gabe to a little Nova Scotian folk music while driving to Mary Ann, and he has mad knowledge about the Pines. It was good to see Scott, a very impressive woodsman. Bob you made that water crossing look like you were stepping over a small puddle! Great trip Jeff I look forward to many more adventures with you guys!

We dig you too Tom. Literally that is, out of the mud. :)

You are officially a "Brother of the Pines".

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
LOl, Tom, I'm laughing thinking back on how you avoided the smallest drop of water after your near death experience in the mud! Hey, man, I've been there too and completely understand. :D

Speaking of water, we should do a paddle sometime soon. Do you have a four-wheel drive, or are you limited to your sentra like me?