Rock of ages to get new home in Buena

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Not to detract from it's already historical coolness and serious size, unless 90% of that rock is still underground... I think they're Gilding the Lilly a bit about it's weight.
As a stand alone object regardless of weight, it is a piece with character and history. Hope it remains that way.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He told me about it a few days before and speaking of the devil there was an article about it.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm heading to this stone today and am going to attempt a zoom picture of it and i will settle who is right.i think it's closer to the road just east of the two pine trees and between the front house and the trailer.i see the other things you guys are guessing at and am now curious who is right.No one noticed the naked lady in the window?Just kidding but it'll make you think about what you do in your own pool behind the privacy fence.Just a little more zoom and nasa could pick out the wart on your butt and i sure they have a little more zoom.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
by the way how do you people feel aboput them moving this stone.to me it destroys the significance of the stone if you move it.Just another rock then.Just one with writing on it.All stones are old so their no magic in the age of the rock itself but the fact a human being inscribed it and placed it in the exact spot you find it many generations later.I understand their moving it to protect it because the new owner may decide it's in the way and bulldoze it but to me if you move it it is now just another rock.Their should be laws to protect stones like this.Stones that nowadays find themselves in peoples front yards when once they enjoyed the solitude and safety of the forest.I get misty eyed when I have to move after living in a place for a few years.Imagine how that poor stone feels:-(
Al

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with you totally Al, the Stone should remain where it's at with the appropriate laws to protect it whomever owns the property.

Jim

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
My guess on the stones location is based on the picture in the article. You can see it's right next to a concrete pad by a building. It's not even visible in the photo. The article also states that the stone isn't in it's original spot. It was moved when the family sold their farm.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i was just out there and the stone is still in it's original spot.they haven't moved it yet and the farm is still for sale though i do agree it's not zisible in the photo.it's between the house and the trailer under a large maple tree.it's plainly visible from the road but in spring when the pic was taken it would be hid beneath the tree.i took pics from the road.i dont know if the malteses would let anyone up in the yard for pics or not.the stone will be much more accessible to the public at the twp building but then whats the point it isnt where it belongs then.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob,
I was yanked around a lot as a kid.Mostly we stayed right in this area except for a five month stint to florida when i was 12 but I was always the new kid in school.I did get to go to high school all in one place and I knew more people there then most because i had already been to all of the elementary schools that ended up in that high school.I hated moving and losing my friends repeatedly but maybe it was for the better.I occasionally run into friends from my early childhood and a few of them I think I was fortunate to get away from if you know what i mean:)It wasn't only friends i hated leaving but i got attached to the houses as well.I also don't like change around me either.They've just built this new motor sports park 2 miles from my house and it's right on my drive to work.I'm not dealing well with all the extra traffic and rubberneckers parking in the 50 mph highway i drive to work like it's their own personal parking space while they watch the races for free through the fence.Eventually a gravel truck will come along and send one of them to NASCAR heaven and they"ll put up a privacy fence to get them out of the road.
I hear a lot of people say if i had a million dollars I'd buy a half a million doallar house and get a 100,00 dollar car,blah blah blah.I think I'd build a little trapper shack with a small generator for what little juice I would use and buy enough land around myself that no one could change anything for miles around me.Just when I was convinced i had myself sufficiently isolated from the world the goverment would decide they neeeded my woods for a military installation or some such crap and I'd be right back where i started.
By the way if I lived in bamber Lake I don't think I'd ever want to leave either.Just hope the pinelands protection act is strong enough to stop them from building a strip mall across the street and putting little foot bridges across and flower beds along cedar creek to improve the scenery.I guess thats why I like stones.They don't change till some egghead comes along and decides that would be a nice nick nack to put along his driveway.I'd be happy to plow around a stone thats been there five times longer then I"ve been on earth.
Al

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Their should be laws to protect stones like this.Stones that nowadays find themselves in peoples front yards when once they enjoyed the solitude and safety of the forest.

Just when I was convinced i had myself sufficiently isolated from the world the goverment would decide they neeeded my woods for a military installation

See, I agree with your sentiments, but it gets a little tricky. In both of these cases a government body is intruding on your private property, whether they're telling you not to move a stone or appropriating your land for the "common good"....

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the governement might as well tell us what we can and can't do with our land seeing we don't really own it anyway.we're basically all renters.let your property taxes go unpaid for a few years and you'll find out who really owns your land.Land ownership in this country and any other country I know of is just an illusion.You rent it at the good will of your benevolent government.We came here to get away from despotic governments and it worked for awhile but I fear we are creating another one anew.Income tax,property tax.Tax me on my money I earned??On property I own?I can see a road tax ,a defense tax,a school tax,but property tax and income tax?only now we have no more oceans to cross to get away from taxes.My property tax just went up because i cleared the brush from my woodlot next to my house.I have to pay more because over the last four years of sweat,blood and bee stings I manually cleared the gound of stumps,roots and brush and now the governments going to live larger because of my labor?And just think this is the greatest country on the face of the earth.Most countries don't even support a farce of ownership.Ran't concluded.I feel much worse now.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Hey, I hear you - I'm a landowner myself. You make a good point about not really "owning" the land. I dislike property taxes as much as the next guy. Mine are really low since I moved to Estell Manor, but were ridiculously high when I lived in Medford. Unfortunately you need to be aware of taxes and other issues related to ownership before you buy property (Caveat Emptor). And if you are unhappy with the taxes, or anything else about your home... move. Worked for me :)

There's a lot which is wrong in our country, and I've gotten very cynical about things myself. It's frustrating. However, I was recently "drafted" as a juror in a federal case and sat through a three week trial in US District Court. Much to my surprise, and in spite of my original dread of this, it ended up being a really positive experience which actually made me feel good about being an American again.

We have many problems in the US, and it's clearly going to get worse before it gets any better, but I just can't think of any other country I'd rather live in. Try not to let it get to you....

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Well, the government doesn't enjoy the asset value and any appreciation, so I'm not sure about ownership. But I am sure that property taxes are a crappy way to pay for services. It's a basic principle of economics that the remuneraton for a service or good has to be tied to the quality, and it's a complete disconnect now. As for the income tax, I checked the history books and it's just temporary.