“Rough and Tumble Pine Plains," A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There actually is a Burlington County monument 40 and 40A, and today we searched for 40A. It was an interesting search taking us down an old farm property line. We could still see much of the fence and while at the monument the most intact post was clearly there.

First, Burlington County 40A. This one is different than the rest with a screw head in the center top and much shorter.

IMG_2895.JPG

Old farm fence post.

IMG_2897.JPG

The area looked to me one that would have plenty of box turtles. It had a similar appearance to an area Manumuskin took me to much further down South Jersey where we stumbled on plenty of them. So as we walked down the road I mentioned to Jessica we would find one today.

Male Box Turtle

IMG_2899.JPG

On our way home we found this lady slipper growing as they seldom do in the middle of a road.

IMG_2908.JPG

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I find many many more box turtles down here then I do up in the core area of the barrens. I wonder if they prefer oak woods to pine? Perhaps more mushrooms of which I"ve seen then chowing down on several times?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Anything mentioned what the stone Eldridge measured from represents? Does the vertical line from the stone mean anything?
I think you could find the Lost Dutchman's gold mine if you put your mind to it, LOL

Probably monument 38 was damaged when the easement was cleared? Lucky it's still there at all, let alone under a huge tree.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anything mentioned what the stone Eldridge measured from represents? Does the vertical line from the stone mean anything?
I think you could find the Lost Dutchman's gold mine if you put your mind to it, LOL

Probably monument 38 was damaged when the easement was cleared? Lucky it's still there at all, let alone under a huge tree.

Yes, the stone was the property corner of Bass River State Forrest. You can see it on the Oswego Quad. Unfortunately, the Live Maps on this site no longer has topos which makes it hard to show. So here is a digital copy of the quad. Notice how the property line does not follow the county line. This may have been a mistake years ago by a surveyor who had the county line wrong, or maybe it is correct. In any event it is what it is.

Oswego Lake.jpg

IMG_2892.JPG

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks. I know when doing research you have to look at ALL sources. I often do this when studying an area looking at all aerial photo's, satellite, atlas's, topo's if I have, etc.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I found Burlington County monument 31 today on Beaver Dam Road near the FAA tower. It is underground and marked by a wooden stake and tape on a tree.

IMG_2922.JPG