Sandy aftermath

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
All is well here, no obvious damage, no power loss, no fallen trees. I feel really lucky. Am going to just stay home today, am almost afraid to see what damage is out there nearby.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Mehhh, power out for a good long time but no blowdown and no compromising of house and home.
We had the basic preperations down so were ready as you could be when you don't get a say in the weather.
Looking at other areas on the news, we were quite blessed.

g.

Reactions: glowordz

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
My town is underwater. The bridge and circle flooded and allowing access over train tracks. We have no power and word is will be over a week. People and my pals have lost everything. Please let me know if anyone needs a hand. I am here to help with any cleanup or recovery effort. I'm heading out to help these older folks down the street that are flooded.

Has anyone heard anything on Sea Isle? The police there are directing folks to local media. Avalon bridge is washed out. Have not heard anything.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just got back from a short walk, the sun is poking through the clouds here and a light breeze is blowing. I did not see a single fallen tree anywhere in my 10 acres of woods or the surrounding forest. I was quite surprised. There were some small branches on the ground, but nothing more than I'd expect from any storm. I think the intense winds during the derecho already knocked down the weak trees.

The biggest surprise was the water level in Stephen Creek. I would just call it "seasonally normal" now. At the most, it is perhaps 6 inches higher (probably less) than pre-storm levels. This is certainly about 2 feet lower than the highest levels I have seen here over the past six years. We had pretty severe flooding about 3 years ago and this is nothing like that. Not nearly as bad as Irene either. There are signs that the creek was over its banks during the storm, but that obviously dissipated quickly. I guess that living in the "Sahara of the Pines" isn't such a bad thing after all. :)

Looks like we got about 4 inches of rain yesterday, which is more than most of the pines got.

rain2.jpg

The Estell Manor website says that a travel ban is still in effect so I am not going out on the road, and I woke up this morning with a cold so I didn't feel like taking a longer walk. But I'm still very surprised at how lucky I was this time around. Sorry to hear about the other problems - hang in there, better days are coming.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Just got back from a short walk, the sun is poking through the clouds here and a light breeze is blowing. I did not see a single fallen tree anywhere in my 10 acres of woods or the surrounding forest. I was quite surprised. There were some small branches on the ground, but nothing more than I'd expect from any storm. I think the intense winds during the derecho already knocked down the weak trees.

The biggest surprise was the water level in Stephen Creek. I would just call it "seasonally normal" now. At the most, it is perhaps 6 inches higher (probably less) than pre-storm levels. This is certainly about 2 feet lower than the highest levels I have seen here over the past six years. We had pretty severe flooding about 3 years ago and this is nothing like that. Not nearly as bad as Irene either. There are signs that the creek was over its banks during the storm, but that obviously dissipated quickly. I guess that living in the "Sahara of the Pines" isn't such a bad thing after all. :)

Looks like we got about 4 inches of rain yesterday, which is more than most of the pines got.

View attachment 2869

The Estell Manor website says that a travel ban is still in effect so I am not going out on the road, and I woke up this morning with a cold so I didn't feel like taking a longer walk. But I'm still very surprised at how lucky I was this time around. Sorry to hear about the other problems - hang in there, better days are coming.

4 imches in Shamong

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Looking at that map, I realized that it is only showing 24 hours and probably misses some of the hurricane. This one shows total rainfall for the past week. Not sure about other areas, but I don't think we had any other rain during the past week. So I think it is a more accurate picture of the total rain from Sandy. It shows 6 to 8 inches for me and also agrees with with Don's observation.

rain3.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We lost power for 23 hours, a tree snapped a telephone pole. The pine rivers are high. The area around Carranza looks normal except for alot of pine needels.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Nothern Winslow got some early rain and minimal wind gusts. We didn't lose any trees or the power. It seemed like it passed fairly quickly. Considering all the forecasts, this area was very lucky!

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry to hear that Ben. Were you in it at the time?

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I hope everyone is at the least physically intact with no loss of loved ones. The last fifty-eight hours has been very tough but I understand it has been tougher on others. Ben, I wish you the best on what comes of your situation. Everyone else I am glad we are in one piece.

I don't want to hear a the sound of a chainsaw for the rest of the year. Sandy broke my heart and wore me down.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
My family and home are all well. Only thing that happened was the wind took the cover off my grill and set down right next to it!! I also lost most of the leaves off my trees. Ben I hope all works out for you.