Scary Abandoned House between Tuckerton and New Gretna

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Well actually yes. If the local cops have too many problems with the property due people hanging around it and the safety issues, they'll be likely to want to tear it down rather than just ignore it as they can with a lot of abandoned houses. If they start worrying about it too much, they'll try to get rid of it or torch it. I've seen that happen around me before. I mean it's gonna go on it's own eventually but they might dod it earlier

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
jokerman said:
Well actually yes. If the local cops have too many problems with the property due people hanging around it and the safety issues, they'll be likely to want to tear it down rather than just ignore it as they can with a lot of abandoned houses. If they start worrying about it too much, they'll try to get rid of it or torch it. I've seen that happen around me before. I mean it's gonna go on it's own eventually but they might dod it earlier
wow youve seen local cops torch houses???? thats a felony......i would report that immedialty....and i pass that house everyday...ive never seen anyone on the property...and that house is ready to fall down ....im surprised it hasent already....ive got a close friend in that town who is a cop...ill make sure to ask him to tell me before the cops go to torch it....LMAO!!! ill supply the marshmellows...

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
As a former fireman, I don't think the police will burn it to the ground. More likey the local fire department will have a drill, which gives them experiance in putting fires out. If the house is almost falling down, it's all the more reason to stay out of it. No need to get trapped and especially when nobody knows you are there.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I live in Wall Township where real estate is worth more than your sarcastic soul. They burn down houses here of historic importance all the time. The Morris House on Sea Girt Avenue and the Giffird House near Allaire both burned down in the last 10 years. The Morris House and Gifford House were built in the late 1600's. It's amazing, a house will be on the same land for 400 years and as soon as a developer has his eyes on the property and a historical problem is preventing development, it burns to the ground..and the fire department has never stopped any of them from their fate. Yes, when it comes to shit like this, things don't necessarily follow normal protocol. Get a clue bro. People nowadays want the least amount of trouble as they always have. Yeah, there's no way a fire official could never be bought off?..."now who's being naive, Kay"..that's from the Godfather movie regarding Pacino's wife saying "Senators don't kill people Michael".

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
I wasn't being sarcastic. Even though I don't know you, I was looking out for YOUR well being. I think your complaint is with the delvelopers. If you think the politians are involved it is time for YOU to get them voted out.

KamKam

Feb 24, 2004
I have done some additional research and have found that the Tuckerton "Scary house" was occupied by a man named Robert B Quinn from at least the mid 70's to the year 2000 and maybe even later. So this house has only been abandoned a couple years!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
KenDawg said:
I wasn't being sarcastic.

KenDawg, just for the record, I think Jokerman was responding to Captom about being sarcastic. I hate to see you guys get mad at each other over a mistake in who posted what.

Am I correct Jokerman?

bob

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Yeah, KenDawg's response was informed and not antagonistic. BTW, if a man lived in that house he liked to wear women's clothes. Maybe he did or maybe he just owned a lot of them.

B

bach2yoga

jokerman said:
It's amazing, a house will be on the same land for 400 years and as soon as a developer has his eyes on the property and a historical problem is preventing development, it burns to the ground..and the fire department has never stopped any of them from their fate. Yes, when it comes to shit like this, things don't necessarily follow normal protocol. Get a clue bro. People nowadays want the least amount of trouble as they always have. Yeah, there's no way a fire official could never be bought off?..."now who's being naive, Kay"..that's from the Godfather movie regarding Pacino's wife saying "Senators don't kill people Michael".

I believe this was what Kendawg was referring to, after he (Kendawg) had said:

"As a former fireman, I don't think the police will burn it to the ground. More likey the local fire department will have a drill, which gives them experiance in putting fires out. If the house is almost falling down, it's all the more reason to stay out of it. No need to get trapped and especially when nobody knows you are there."

I can see where "get a clue bro" and "now who's being naive, Kay" and "Yeah, there's no way a fire official could ever be bought off" would ruffle a few feathers. I thought it had been directed at Ken, because it fit the topic, directly followed Ken's post and did not have a quote box. After second reading I see where it could have been directed at either Ken or Tom or both. Anyway, I think Ken handled it very diplomatically.

It's hard on email, especially if you don't know a person personally, to know how a person means something. If the comment was to Tom, I've met him and he's a nice enough guy. A commercial fisherman. I interpreted his comment about marshmallows as comic relief, an attempt at humor to break the tension.

Jokerman, perhaps in the future you might consider using the quote button so we know to whom you are responding?

Ah, the world of cybercommunication...

Maybe we should just let this thread die out...

Renee

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
bach2yoga said:
jokerman said:
It's amazing, a house will be on the same land for 400 years and as soon as a developer has his eyes on the property and a historical problem is preventing development, it burns to the ground..and the fire department has never stopped any of them from their fate. Yes, when it comes to shit like this, things don't necessarily follow normal protocol. Get a clue bro. People nowadays want the least amount of trouble as they always have. Yeah, there's no way a fire official could never be bought off?..."now who's being naive, Kay"..that's from the Godfather movie regarding Pacino's wife saying "Senators don't kill people Michael".

I believe this was what Kendawg was referring to, after he (Kendawg) had said:

"As a former fireman, I don't think the police will burn it to the ground. More likey the local fire department will have a drill, which gives them experiance in putting fires out. If the house is almost falling down, it's all the more reason to stay out of it. No need to get trapped and especially when nobody knows you are there."

I can see where "get a clue bro" and "now who's being naive, Kay" and "Yeah, there's no way a fire official could ever be bought off" would ruffle a few feathers. I thought it had been directed at Ken, because it fit the topic, directly followed Ken's post and did not have a quote box. After second reading I see where it could have been directed at either Ken or Tom or both. Anyway, I think Ken handled it very diplomatically.

It's hard on email, especially if you don't know a person personally, to know how a person means something. If the comment was to Tom, I've met him and he's a nice enough guy. A commercial fisherman. I interpreted his comment about marshmallows as comic relief, an attempt at humor to break the tension.

Jokerman, perhaps in the future you might consider using the quote button so we know to whom you are responding?

Ah, the world of cybercommunication...

Maybe we should just let this thread die out...

Renee
it was meant as humor!!! :lol:

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
All's well. I get passionate about these things since I see so much being laid to waste in Monmouth County. It really is upsetting and I don't have any patience for anything except total responsibility when it comes to my and others actions and attitudes. My reply was directed at the response posted before KenDawg's, but his thoughts were obviously in my mind and were included in my ramblings. No big deal, everyone just be thoughtful in everything..and be outspoken to anyone who may threaten future travellers from missing out on what we have available to us now.

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
do you have any other maps like that one?

pineypwr17 said:
JIMBO said:
On my 1876 map of L.E.H.T. I believe it is the house labeled E Mott. Its not scary at night now in a city at night that?s scary.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

any ones that extend a little further north into westcreek.thanks!

In Pauline S. Miller book of ocean county thre is a copy of a west creek map so they mite have a copy. sorry it took so long to get back to you i missed this post

P

pineghost182

I just went into the scary house off of route 9. It was pretty cool on the property and the inside was really f**ked up looking. their was checks all over the place and millions of papers. A lot of the stuff was belongings from a man with the last name of Quinn. Some of the stuff had dates from the 40's 70's and the 80's! This house must have alot of history behind it. The house is falling apart so be careful! I searched all 3 floors. There was 2 very old tvs inside and a piano and organ on the first floor. There is also furniture left inside. The kitchen still had some canned goods left in it. Upstairs their was furniture and clothing thrown all over the place.
It was pretty creepy, but definitely a neat place!

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Again, I should stress that people should NOT go in that house. It IS a death trap. If you do, don't encourage anyone else to do so. Thanks.

P

Pineyprowler

There are old signs saying "keep out". So I think that it is private property or maybe they just don't want somebody falling through a floor or what not. I have no idea.

B

BarryC

I just checked out this house today with some others, who may or may not add to this, and I don't see what's scary or spooky about it. In the spooky department, I say, Big deal! But it's very cool.
It's too bad that local kids or whatever have trashed it in recent years. I'd like to have seen it the day after the last person to live there walked out for the last time. Must have been neat. As others have said, glassware, china and some foodstuffs were left on the shelves in the pantry, and all furniture and appliances were left. What a shame it's been trashed.
Also it's not falling apart as much as we've been led to believe.
I saw the organ and piano on the first floor, but it was so dark in that room.
Barry

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I was in Georgia (NJ) on Sunday. I noticed an old abandoned house near the school. I was trying to look at an old lake bed in the area and ran into a groupxof friendly kids who said they had read about the house on a web site. I don't think it was mentioned on this one. Does anyone know of the website they are referring to? I hope it doesn't create too much vandalism. These kids seemed all-right, but were obviously thrill seekers, as I guess I am too.

petestemmer

Feb 22, 2008
Scary House

Does anyone know anything about this super scary super old abandoned house? It's on route 9, about half-way between Tuckerton's Mathistown Road and New Gretna. It's on the right side of the road, if you're coming from Tuckerton. It's kinda deep set in the woods and if you blink you'll miss it.

This house is scary beyond belief, and inside it's completely ransacked and just SPOOKY. Does anyone know anything about it?????

Ever been in it????

Share please :)

The house was built in the late 1880's by Isaac Lewis and Martha (Mattie) Berry. The last person to live there was Robert Quinn, the greatgrandson of Lewis and Mattie. Robert, better known as Bobby, was the Superintendent of Greenwood Cemetery in Tuckerton for many years. He passed away a few years ago.

This photo of the Berry house was taken circa 1940s.

Attachments

• Louis Berry House2- c1940s- 72 dpi.jpg
    Louis Berry House2- c1940s- 72 dpi.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 513