Scary Abandoned House between Tuckerton and New Gretna

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
I took my husband past the house the other day and there happens to be a ghost story about the house. Alot of locals have seen a woman in a white dress trying to cross the road there but when they look back or in their mirrors no one is there.

I love ghost stories. Any idea who she is supposed to be?

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
I have no clue. My MIL would have seen her in the late 70s early 80s. Thats when she drove taxi. So who ever it was would have died before then. Kate the little girl who was with us this weekend, her father grow up down there and he won't go near the house. Kate was even alittle scared but then she got out of the car and snapped a picture with me but her and Angie flew back into the car when we heard something move in the woods......lol.

Nykki

KamKam

Feb 24, 2004
bunnymom3 said:
I have no clue. My MIL would have seen her in the late 70s early 80s. Thats when she drove taxi. So who ever it was would have died before then. Kate the little girl who was with us this weekend, her father grow up down there and he won't go near the house. Kate was even alittle scared but then she got out of the car and snapped a picture with me but her and Angie flew back into the car when we heard something move in the woods......lol.

Nykki
wait, are you talking about the Tuckerton house or the Bulltown house?

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
i asked a friends wife who has lived in tuckerton all her life...her familys house in tuckerton is over 200 years old...three generations in the house...so anyway she told me that the family that lived in that house in the picture had some problems...they had a teenage son and the day he graduated high school both his parents comitted suicide in the house...he stayed in the house by himself.. became an old man...and was the caretaker at the cemetery that his folks were buried at..which is the one on 539 and nugenttown road...he was a recluse and died in the house....and its been sitting there ever since.......and with that i said...well thats a better story than the other one i heard...LOL

KamKam

Feb 24, 2004
capttom said:
i asked a friends wife who has lived in tuckerton all her life...her familys house in tuckerton is over 200 years old...three generations in the house...so anyway she told me that the family that lived in that house in the picture had some problems...they had a teenage son and the day he graduated high school both his parents comitted suicide in the house...he stayed in the house by himself.. became an old man...and was the caretaker at the cemetery that his folks were buried at..which is the one on 539 and nugenttown road...he was a recluse and died in the house....and its been sitting there ever since.......and with that i said...well thats a better story than the other one i heard...LOL
Whoahhhh that's crazy. I really wanna get to the bottom of this... does anyone have names, or around what year this stuff might have happened, anything? Hmm would there be anything about this in any Tuckerton newspapers, on microfiche in the library?

This house just really intrigues me beyond belief.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
C'mon, why don't we just SELL this story to Weird NJ and let their fans burn the house down. Although, that story is typical of modern folklore and I think it's cool, it is totally ridiculous. An old woman named Hattie Berry (maiden name = Chew) lived there and she died alone in the house. The house contains woman's clothing and it's too bad that any potential heirs would find all her belongings ruined due to what has happened there. This item will only make it worse, now with the attraction of thrill seekers looking for ghosts and what not. I knew that house would eventually make onto this site and I only hope it won't be for the worse. The house at Bulltown is beautiful and thank God they are watching the house and handing out tickets to tresspassers. That house is a sentinel to former Bulltown. I'm not saying I don't have a big desire to go in these places, and that I haven't, but I just cringe when the vulnerable spots are thrown into the limelight and start getting so much attention. All the little artifacts at Red Oak Grove disapperaed within 3 weeks after a discussion about it here. Please use some discretion...Weird NJ and the like IS watching!!

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Weird NJ and the like IS watching!!

Luckilly nobody gave the exact location of the Hattie Chew house and if you know where Bulltown Road is, chances are good you have nothing to do with "Weird NJ". I too fear that every place I visit will next be published in that magazine. I love vistiting places like this but I never cause damage or take anything home... Ever since little places in my hometown started showing up in there as well as the historical gem we call Brooksbrae Brick Company, I have been weary of that magzine. Maybe we can all use just a little more discretion in posting exact locations of places and leave it to chance or private messages...

B

bach2yoga

Ben has repeatedly stated that directions to places that are historically sensitive or environmentally sensitive due to rare plant species are not to be given on the site.
John Pearce talks about the house in his book, so it isn't exactly new knowledge to most of us though.
Unfortunately, there are far too many vandals in the pines. :(

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
sorry...didnt mean to get everybody riled up...i dont beleive the story..i didnt beleive it when she told me about it...was just tellin ya what i heard...as far as vandals torching the place or ruining it i went and had a close look at it tonight...i did not go in and woudnt recomened anyone does...the place is falling apart...plus there are no trespassing all over the property...once again i didnt mean to rile any feathers.....tom

PrettyWaste

Mar 1, 2004
Jersay
I went to the house earlier this evening.. It was pretty spooky. I wasnt that scared to go near it .. But then again it was also day time... I want to go back n get more pictures of the inside.. Im just a little cautios bc the place is falling apart, and all I need to do is fall straight to the bottom.

B

bach2yoga

PrettyWaste said:
I went to the house earlier this evening.. It was pretty spooky. I wasnt that scared to go near it .. But then again it was also day time... I want to go back n get more pictures of the inside.. Im just a little cautios bc the place is falling apart, and all I need to do is fall straight to the bottom.

PrettyWaste,
It is NOT recommended that you take pictures of the inside. It is posted no tresspassing and is a historical house. Pictures from the road are fine.
It is exactly that reason that causes us NOT to post on some of the more interesting things that we fine.
The original post to discuss the place is fine, IMO, and the legends too. But no one gave exact directions, either, for the reason that we didn't want someone going in and doing exactly what you are intending to do.
I hope you will reconsider.
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
When I was younger (13 or 14) my friends and I went into two abandoned houses on Rt. 35 in Eatontown. (I lived in Eatontown at the time.) One was a house that had been turned into an office. It was pretty much trashed - many people had gone in before. The other was a much older house that had been turned into a hotel. Pretty creepy stuff. In one of the kitchen drawers there were funeral announcement cards with pictures of Jesus on them.

While I still love abandoned houses and exploring, I'm not too sure if I'd be in any great rush to break into one and poke around. As I get older and perhaps a bit wiser the thought of walking into a house that might be ready to fall apart, or getting a ticket for trespassing doesn't sound like fun. There's a certain time and place for trespassing, and exploring a house on the side of a busy road is not the proper place.

PrettyWaste

Mar 1, 2004
Jersay
You guys are too much.. Really though.. If i want to go and poke around in a house and risk getting in trouble.. I dont see why anyone should get all riled up about it. i thought this site was to tell people about it and what they have experienced or whatever. My bad for talking about or doing the wrong things...

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
As I get older and perhaps a bit wiser the thought of walking into a house that might be ready to fall apart, or getting a ticket for trespassing doesn't sound like fun. There's a certain time and place for trespassing, and exploring a house on the side of a busy road is not the proper place.

:grin: Agreed...I love exploring ruins and old houses, but there is a time and a place...I've been known to shove my little body into a few little house openings and up virtually every deer stand we find. I've certainly been known to break a few rules, but always with discretion. But inside that particular house is just not a smart idea, IMO.
Renee

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Guaranteed, this discussion will remove history from future travellers. Newbie, your smug remark is not necessarily indicative of your contribution to this inevitabilty, but more of a symptom of it. I REALLY think all of us who are SINCERELY interested in the HISTORY should be VERY vague in our descriptions.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
jokerman said:
Guaranteed, this discussion will remove history from future travellers. Newbie, your smug remark is not necessarily indicative of your contribution to this inevitabilty, but more of a symptom of it. I REALLY think all of us who are SINCERELY interested in the HISTORY should be VERY vague in our descriptions.

Are you trying to say that because of the discussion on this subject here, that house will be "removed" by someone?

Guy