Scouting the Skit, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On November 29 all of the members of PBX received this edited email from Bob informing us of our next hike.

The title of our next PBX trip is "Scouting the Skit". The date of this trip is Saturday, 20 December 2008. We'll meet at 8:30 AM where the Skit crosses under High Crossing Road.

We'll work our way upstream all the way to the source of the main Skit Branch, up above Mt. Korbar. We should be seeing some fantastic Cedars lining the Skit on the way up to Carranza Road, and north of Carranza Road we'll get into some nice savanna land that few people ever see on Robert's Branch. Above that point, we'll jump from Roberts Branch back onto the main Skit Branch in order to reach the source. On the way to the end point we'll cross over Mount Korbar, a stunning 132 feet above sea level. Bring oxygen.

This trip will mainly consist of following the river and poking our heads in at the bank to see the sights. Step lively and get in shape boys, that 5.41 miles is flying like a crow. I hope to see you there.

Happy Trails..........bob

Obviously, today is not December 20th. There was a postponement until today because of concerns of the weather on the scheduled date.

So this morning ChrisNJ, RednekF350, BobPBX, Me, Jessica, and a non member of this site (Paul) began our journey starting at the bridge over the Skit Branch at Hampton Furnace. Here we are at arrival.

IMG_0055.JPG

This is one of the “Lost Causeways” that Woodjin mentioned in his exploration of the “Lost Causeways of the Skit Branch’ in a previous thread.

IMG_0056.JPG

While at the causeway I believe it was Bob who found this. I have no records of it being a property stone so I am stumped as to if it is a property corner.

IMG_0060.JPG

Early morning views on the Skit Branch.

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

Then Paul found what we believe may have been an old still. Located on a peninsula along the Skit was a barrel and some odd large pieces of metal. We also noticed steel straps like would be wrapped around an old wooden barrel. All of this is located about 1000 feet from Carranza Road. If you have any idea’s on what this may have been feel free to pass them along.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Just upstream from the bridge on Carranza Road.

IMG_0085.JPG

Nobody passed by while we explored around the bridge. It was quiet on Carranza Road today.

IMG_0088.JPG

After crossing Carranza and moving on to the Roberts Branch we discovered this duck blind.

IMG_0089.JPG

Paul testing his luck :)

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Lunch by the log.

IMG_0093.JPG

A couple of the many savannahs we visited.

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

Jessica in the far distance trying to keep one step ahead of all of us. When we rested she kept going at times so she did not have to struggle to keep up.

IMG_0099.JPG

Bob needed a rest so he levitated over this water hole he found.

IMG_0095.JPG

In the end Jessica became exhausted and we broke off from the rest and headed to our car. The goal was to see the very beginning of the Skit and visit Mount Korbar again; however, we were not able to.

Changing subjects, I want some input on those who have high MP camera’s. What setting do you have your photo size set to? If you look closely at the watermarks in the above photo’s, the quality is really diminished when I shrink them down to post here. I need to find the proper settings for the highest quality photo for use in my post. Currently I am not happy with the results. Any input would be appreciated.

Guy

Then Paul found what we believe may have been an old still. Located on a peninsula along the Skit was a barrel and some odd large pieces of metal. We also noticed steel straps like would be wrapped around an old wooden barrel. All of this is located about 1000 feet from Carranza Road. If you have any idea’s on what this may have been feel free to pass them along.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

Guy

Guy:

That looks like the parts to an old derelict tub-style washing machine to me.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman,

That may well be, I really am not sure. However, it is really thick metal and very heavy, and a portion of it was torched like there was a hole cut in it to feed wood. With the barrel there and even a cinderblock, we were leaning towards a still. But it could be both also. They may have used the washer parts to make the still, or maybe it was not a still. Confusing!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Our tracks. Jessica, Chris, and I bailed out at NNE and headed to my car at "End." The rest finished.

track.jpg

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
As always, a great day to be suckin' air deep in the pines.
The hike was planned very well with the purpose being to hike the Skit from a point near its confluence with the Batsto to its very origins to the north and east.

The beginning of the hike held perfect conditions and the Skit was beautiful in the early morning sun.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/10274

The cedars arched over the Skit in a lot of areas and made for some great photos.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/10275

We ate lunch north of Carranza and were next to this pond with a freshly kept lodge.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/10276

After a leisurely hike up to the point of lunch, things got a little tougher afterwards.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/10277

It stayed like this for a good while and after passing through some semi frozen savannahs with challenging footing we were showing some signs of wear and tear.
But I payed my money and wasn't going home without the prize.
Here is the humble beginnings of the mighty Skit.
Essentially a dry, shallow swale with highbush blueberry and sheep laurel.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/10272

After a brisk climb to the top of Mount Korbar, Elev 139, it was time for my favorite part of all.
Alchohol. :)
Bob, Paul and I partook in some of my homemade wine at the end of the hike and after that I drove back to the beginning to get Bob back to his vehicle.
Once again my tailgate dropped and Bob and I had a few very cold ones while enjoying a cigar and some good conversation in the moonlight.
If Bob didn't want to leave, I would still be back there. I kid you not.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/10273

Thanks guys and Jess.

Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I liked the arched tree photo Scott. Very nice! It was nice hiking with you as usual.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Very nice! I see by your track that you covered some of the ground Al and I took in last week (specifically near Roberts Branch) ... and those strip meadow photos (Guy) look like mighty familiar territory. See any whip tracks? Amazing what some sunlight will do to fire those babies up. Beautiful images, Guy and Scott! Al and I did a little more than three miles Tuesday and wore ourselves to a nub (still recovering). Looks like you took in a few more. Break out the Advil! :)

Bill

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great photos. Thanks for posting them. I realized when I went out in the woods for a bit today that I made the right decision not to do this hike. I was worn out after about 100 yards (i'm sick). I noticed your cars/trucks still there when I was heading home at 3:30. Glad I had a chance to at least say "hi" when i met you guys along carranza.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Very nice! I see by your track that you covered some of the ground Al and I took in last week (specifically near Roberts Branch) ... and those strip meadow photos (Guy) look like mighty familiar territory. See any whip tracks? Amazing what some sunlight will do to fire those babies up. Beautiful images, Guy and Scott! Al and I did a little more than three miles Tuesday and wore ourselves to a nub (still recovering). Looks like you took in a few more. Break out the Advil! :)

Bill

yes Billy is quite right on the wore out part.THAT STRIP MEDDER JESS WAS SEEN TRUDGING UP WAS THE LAST LEG OF OUR HIKE ONLY WE WERE TRUDGING BACK THE OTHER WAY.oUR HIKE CONNECTED TO YOUR ROUTE AT THE NORTH END OF STADIUM BOGsorry about the caps.two fingered typists can't watch what their typing.In any case the long slog back that medder had me on auto pilot.I was in ignorethepaintrance state.Whippoorbill was still quite chipper at that point because he was like a madman with his camera and new gps but by the time we got back to the truck Whip was in bad as shape as i was.The medders were a nice break from beatin through the brush which makes my thighs scream but the medders suck at yer feet and make yer back scream.
Alfie

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

That last section was extremely hard for about a mile and I was thinking then you had absolutely made the right decision.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
m but the medders suck at yer feet and make yer back scream.
Alfie

Al,

They are extremely hard on Jessica. She does fairly well in the woods though. I keep asking her how she is and watch for here reaction. I can usually detect when the end is near, and she had hit a brick wall when we bailed.

I am so fortunate that I could have turned around and made it back to the start, but the day will come I won't. I have to do it now or I will never see those places again.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al,

They are extremely hard on Jessica. She does fairly well in the woods though. I keep asking her how she is and watch for here reaction. I can usually detect when the end is near, and she had hit a brick wall when we bailed.

I am so fortunate that I could have turned around and made it back to the start, but the day will come I won't. I have to do it now or I will never see those places again.

Guy

to the stadium is was fairly easy as i told you?were the woods worse past the stadium?Is that where she hit her wall?perhaps the medders took it out of her and when she hit more bushwacking she was done in.
She's definitely tougher then she looks.She's been in stuff with us that woulda made a dog whine and I never seen her complain unless of course she finds out we've been tresspassing.That does rub her wrong a little.:)
Alfie

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
She's definitely tougher then she looks.She's been in stuff with us that woulda made a dog whine and I never seen her complain....Alfie

You said it Alfie. She definitely is made of the right stuff. She never frowned or said a word to the negative yesterday, right up until she and Guy left. Those "medders" (as you call them--I like that) were tough. You had to step in between hummocks for a mile, blindly not knowing where your foot was going to land, and if you didn't slide on the ice then you crashed through it and lost your balance. Makes for an exhilirating hike on a bright winters day.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Great pics, Guy. Looks like you all had a perfect day for it. With respect to the machinery parts: my thought on seeing the first pic was that it was a cover or fairing for a power take-off or some other powered belt and pulley/chain arrangement. The second piece... some sort of cast housing, and from size and general arrangement not hard to imagine it mated to the first piece in some way. The barrels and bands are too nondescript to say much about, I think. There could be any number of reasons for their being there. The final use of those pieces might bear little relation to their original purpose. Without looking the site over more carefully, and looking for markings on the pieces themselves, I think rank speculation is all that can be expected. I do agree with you that they seem heavier than I would expect from a washing machine, but perhaps a commercial unit? I will also say that nothing in those pics makes me think of a still. The large barrel might be a piece of one, but it would be a crude outfit, and anyway it might just as well be for fuel storage, or any other liquid. My reaction to all of the pictures is "industrial/agricultural."

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You said it Alfie. She definitely is made of the right stuff. She never frowned or said a word to the negative yesterday, right up until she and Guy left. Those "medders" (as you call them--I like that) were tough. You had to step in between hummocks for a mile, blindly not knowing where your foot was going to land, and if you didn't slide on the ice then you crashed through it and lost your balance. Makes for an exhilirating hike on a bright winters day.

Billy and I didn't have to contend with ice that day.That would definitely compound the agony.I kinda go into a steady trancelike slog when I feel the fatigue monster wearing at me.The medders sucked me dry after the bush beat me up and their was no dry place to rest my toosh.I was moving a little fast for billy who was snapping pics left and right.He had his new gps and i was testing to see if he would say heck with Alfie,I have a gps now or wether he would scream ALFIE! WAIT! Actually neither happened.he nonchalantly picked up the pace just enough to catch me before I disappeared into the heavy timber at the end of the medder.Give him a couple more trips he'll say go on! Leave you coward!I'm free!No more ball and chain to Alfie's ankle for me!It's all part of growing up I guess.Gotta let the kids go free.I'll get over the feeling of uselessness and not being needed.Now I have to learn the art of photography so I can break the camera leash he has hooked to me.I get so disgusted with my photographic ability that without him I generally don't leave a record of my trips.I'm way to impatient and I insist the camera see things like I do and it refuses. It's amazing that blind biological evolution can create eyes that are so superior to our finely honed ,technologically created machines.(Billy knows I'm being sarcastic here:) )My eyes see beauty in nasty ,cloudy weather but the camera just sees drabness.I like shadows and dappled sunlight.The camera makes a total mess of this.Maybe we should throw the darn things in a primordial mud puddle with some amino acids thrown in and in a couple decades we can pick up a camera that will put our eyes to shame.(Billy is frothing by now:) )
Keep me posted on the next trip.
Alfie

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My reaction to all of the pictures is "industrial/agricultural."

It certainly well may be. I may have to go back and look them over more closely. They are fairly easy to get to.

Guy