Searching For The J Roger Brick Stone

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Tonight, Al and I returned to the general area we were in last week to search out and find a stone I have been hoping to find for years. This area is wild country where very few people ever visit, I have to believe it is one of the most unexplored area’s in the Pine Barrens. There is so much water there it is impossible to easily explore without wading as Al and I did again today.

Unfortunately, carrying three frozen bottles of water in my bag, and the high humidity, caused my camera lens to steam up the complete evening. Because of this, many of the photo’s and video’s I wanted to take were impossible to do, and many I took are steamed up. So be prepared for that.

First, the location we were interested in. This tract was owned by J Roger Brick when the state purchased Wharton in the mid 1950’s. Mr. Brick owned, and his heirs still own West Jersey Cranberry Meadow. He was the grandfather of a man I worked with, and I have viewed a piece of the Great Wall of China that he took from it in the 1930’s as he traveled the world. Anyway, the state decided to not survey the property for reasons unknown to me, but it is obvious to Al and I why that may have been. It is a flooded mess there, where one wrong move and you are up to or over your neck in black mud. Why survey such a remote place if it is just water and mud for the most part? However, there is a stone there and Al and I wanted to find it, but that was not to be today. We will return again with a better understanding of what we need to do to accomplish what we set out to find.

The location in the woods behind Atco Dragway. They were racing today and it sounded like the cars were coming right at us out there.

aerial.jpg

Notice the arced canal. We had to cross that.

canal.jpg

Al cleaning himself somewhat after crossing the canal. It was tough getting up out of the water there. Sorry for the misty photo’s :(

IMG_2712.JPG

The view of the canal. I was standing in it. The bottom in the center where I was was very hard, but the edges were brutal.

IMG_2713.JPG

Looking down.

IMG_2714.JPG

Beavers cause this. We stumbled on their very remote den, well protected from anything by brier.

IMG_2715.JPG

And this.

IMG_2717.JPG

There are some very nice savannahs out there. Most of them have been infiltrated by ATV’s. You can see their damage in the second photo.

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

We searched for the stone for almost a half hour and sunset was approaching, so we decided to walk back to our vehicles by accessing the power lines. On our way we found this Black Rat Snake.

IMG_2720.JPG

Does Al look a little dirty? That is a towel in his shirt to get the sweat out of his eyes. It was very hard walking today and not feeling the heat out there.

IMG_2724.JPG

Another view of the canal.

IMG_2727.JPG

Our decision to return on the power lines was not a good call. There is a long section of it that was not cleared in the past year when the rest was. It is just so wild and wet they must have decided it was way too much trouble. We had to navigate our way through some really serious woods that was taking it’s toll. We stopped every few feet and the sun just kept setting. Finally, after what seemed like forever we made it to the road in the area where we killed Gabe a few years back if you remember. If not, well .....

IMG_2729.JPG

This area of the power line has all kinds of vegetation, with thousands of Meadow-Beauty and billions of Sweet Pepper Bush. I also found this Turks Cap Lily sticking out above all other vegetation.

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

We unbelievably took the wrong road back and had to bushwhack again through the woods to get to our cars. On the way out I got stuck and had to fight my way out, just before I took this photo.

IMG_2735.JPG

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice. tough going in there huh? Well you picked some good hiking weather:rolleyes: When getting into areas like that it feels good to know you are well off the beaten path. Thanks for the report. Nice black rat BTW. Chiggers?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice. tough going in there huh? Well you picked some good hiking weather:rolleyes: When getting into areas like that it feels good to know you are well off the beaten path. Thanks for the report. Nice black rat BTW.

Jeff

No chiggers so far this year. I don't think our legs were out of water long enough for them to get to us :)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had a premonition of how tough it would be Guy. Usually hiking like that after a day of heating up the earth will tax a man to no end. I'm actually glad I didn't join in now.

Great Turks Cap. I saw one with 12 flowers once down on the other side of the Mullica along the road from the bridge.

Nice snake too.......

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow... that is dedication! Nice report, and I actually think the fog on the lens contributes to the feeling of the photos.

Steve Brick is a Realtor in Medford who owned the land next to my former home on Atsion Road; he brokered the deal with the developers who built two MacMansions there. My attorney told me that his family owned lots of property in the area and his father was a former tax assessor. Is that the same family?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow... that is dedication! Nice report, and I actually think the fog on the lens contributes to the feeling of the photos.

Steve Brick is a Realtor in Medford who owned the land next to my former home on Atsion Road; he brokered the deal with the developers who built two MacMansions there. My attorney told me that his family owned lots of property in the area and his father was a former tax assessor. Is that the same family?

Thanks Boyd! I am uncertain if he is one of the heirs or related. The property in question is a real complicated mess with the family itself. The person I know does not even have the Brick name since his mom was the daughter of J Roger Brick. And I no longer can easily find out the answer since I no longer work with him.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That was one gung-ho effort! The picture of Al in the mud up to his butt shows how tough it was.

Oji

I have been through stuff as bad as yesterday but never anything worse and the last time it was that bad i was younger and thinner. I won't be tackling that swamp again till it's cooler and I take a few pounds off and with momma at the stove that easier thought of then accomplished.
Al

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Might be a tad easier in the winter when it is frozen over. Unbelievable story. Makes me feel like an explorer from ages past ! I'm sure y'all feel something akin to that, too. Hope you find the blarney stone. You should kiss it when you do finally find it!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Holy crap!
Ditto to many statements here. You guys took on a chore in this one. Hardcore slopping to attain your goal. All that for a stone. God bless ya! That fuzzy pic has the surreal nature of a Whip midified shot. Al, besides the slogging, Hat's off on the snake dude. I ain't terribly crazy about 'em but that is a pose I would never strike. Guy, good shots you brought back for us. Your Savannah's while disturbed are a beut and that grassed up canal section, almost a Pines postcard. Thanks guys!

g.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Holy crap!
Ditto to many statements here. You guys took on a chore in this one. Hardcore slopping to attain your goal. All that for a stone. God bless ya! That fuzzy pic has the surreal nature of a Whip midified shot. Al, besides the slogging, Hat's off on the snake dude. I ain't terribly crazy about 'em but that is a pose I would never strike. Guy, good shots you brought back for us. Your Savannah's while disturbed are a beut and that grassed up canal section, almost a Pines postcard. Thanks guys!

g.

black rat snakes are about as close as a snake an get to being loveable,not so with the black racer,one of those would have given Guy a great "eating the fat boy" shot:)
Al