Secret of the painted rock

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Love the artwork on the cover. Obviously done by a veteran Piney. I need to go looking for that lighthouse on the hill next to the mountain. That's down on 539, right?
:rofl:

Jay

Mar 10, 2008
Looks a bit rugged to me.
I've never heard of the author but he also wrote pine-inspired books such as, "The lost mission of captain carranza", "Mystery of the jersey devil", and "The treasure of tucker's island."

Amazon pegs the reading level as 9-12.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Totally not made of bog iron.

Would really depend on when it was made. Almost all of the ore in the colonies up to the early 1700's was bog or pond ore, until they started opening up some magnetite works in the hills of northern NJ and NY. Why couldn't this iron be bog iron? Bog iron was charcoal fired and then forged, but could also be remelted and cast, couldn't it?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I was thinking after I posted that reply last night that it may very well have been imported too.

I don't know if bog iron == crude. Bog iron was relatively low in iron content... say 14% or so... and the charcoal firing technology left a lot of impurities that had to be forged out, but I recall a picture of a stove from Atsion and it didn't look crude to me at all.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, I just think it's too new looking. I don't think that irons made from Batsto/Atsion would have been made with that level of precision. I could be wrong though.

Where's Jerseyman when you need him?

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Looks a bit rugged to me.
I've never heard of the author but he also wrote pine-inspired books such as, "The lost mission of captain carranza", "Mystery of the jersey devil", and "The treasure of tucker's island."

Amazon pegs the reading level as 9-12.

These guys, Hart and Calu, were both at the Sweetwater book signing in March. A strange pair, to be sure.
Being a lighthouse fan, I purchased the book about Tucker's Island. Definitely a teenage fiction mystery, in the Hardy Boys vein, but with a local flavor. My son is doing a school book report on it. Took me two days to read it cover to cover.
They wanted $9 each, and they were all very similar in composition. Large type/wide margins. About 60-80 pages.