Seeking historical background on lower Mullica river life, mid-18th century

relayer

Explorer
Mark-
Can't believe I forgot. The West Jersey part is on my site and can be searched, sort of, using the site search function on the home page. You might want to browse a little first. Anyway - It's (and the documents behind the abstracts) where they get a lot of that "so and so located a tract of land at" stuff:)
http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/books/njaV21/

Also, Your county library, and some local libraries may have an Archive series set in their reference sections. Finding a library so equipped should also give you to the volumes of colonial newspaper articles that the compilers had found and and put together. That's just the beginning. I don't know how much there'll be about the Mullica. As you look at them you might want to reflect on the possibility that references to Egg Harbor may sometimes refer to places on the lower Mullica. Check out inter library loan for Nest of Rebel Pirates. It might work.

If you really want to get serious, pilgrimages to Trenton, Mount Holly and Woodbury will become necessary. Almost forgot, you could see if there are any of the old township minute books surviving for the area(that would be a Trenton thing).

Reactions: pineywoman
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
pinelandpaddler said:
But I'd also love to find if there is any truth to Heston's claim about Captain James Clarke.

Just a FYI for those interested. Heston makes no mention of James Clarke in his later works, and attributes the settlement of Clark's Landing to Thomas Clark.

pinelandpaddler:

In your quest for information on the Mullica River, have you examined the Clark family papers at the New Jersey State Archives? It sounds like many of the land documents are previously recorded, but you might still benefit from a perusal of the collection. Here is the finding aid URL: http://www.nj.gov/state/archives/guides/pclar001.pdf

I know I owe you a visit here to my library for reviewing the SGO records. Until Wednesday of this past week, I’ve been completely tied up with cleaning out a relative’s apartment that entered assisted living with dementia. It took me 10 weeks to finish the task, since the entire unit would have made the most ardent fan of Hoarders blush! I could not have done it without the help of many friends, including Tanton and his daughter from these forums. Send me a PM and we will establish a definite appointment for your visit.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Relayer,

Is Volume 21 of the NJ Archive series available online by any chance?

Gabe,

My NJ Archive set is on loan at the Township of Hamilton Historical Society, Mays Landing.

While there check out two Master's theses that provide fascinating glimpses into the folklife and folklore of the May Landing area. I found them hidden away unrecorded in Rowan's library and provided copies to both the historical society and the Mays Landing Branch of the Atlantic County Library.

Reinheimer, E., 1958?. Historic Facts and Legends of the Early Days in Mays Landing, New Jersey. MS thesis, Glassboro State College, Glassboro, NJ, 90 pp.
Nickles, A., 1958?. An Historic Trip Up the Great Egg Harbor River. MS thesis, Glassboro State College, Glassboro, NJ, 182 pp.
S-M

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
pinelandpaddler:

In your quest for information on the Mullica River, have you examined the Clark family papers at the New Jersey State Archives? It sounds like many of the land documents are previously recorded, but you might still benefit from a perusal of the collection. Here is the finding aid URL: http://www.nj.gov/state/archives/guides/pclar001.pdf

I know I owe you a visit here to my library for reviewing the SGO records. Until Wednesday of this past week, I’ve been completely tied up with cleaning out a relative’s apartment that entered assisted living with dementia. It took me 10 weeks to finish the task, since the entire unit would have made the most ardent fan of Hoarders blush! I could not have done it without the help of many friends, including Tanton and his daughter from these forums. Send me a PM and we will establish a definite appointment for your visit.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks, Jerseyman! I'll have to try to take a look at the Clark Family papers the next time I make it out to Trenton.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Gabe,

My NJ Archive set is on loan at the Township of Hamilton Historical Society, Mays Landing.

While there check out two Master's theses that provide fascinating glimpses into the folklife and folklore of the May Landing area. I found them hidden away unrecorded in Rowan's library and provided copies to both the historical society and the Mays Landing Branch of the Atlantic County Library.

Reinheimer, E., 1958?. Historic Facts and Legends of the Early Days in Mays Landing, New Jersey. MS thesis, Glassboro State College, Glassboro, NJ, 90 pp.
Nickles, A., 1958?. An Historic Trip Up the Great Egg Harbor River. MS thesis, Glassboro State College, Glassboro, NJ, 182 pp.
S-M

Thank you, good sir!

Lindsay

Nov 2, 2012
hey Mark BNJ,

thanks for starting this thread. so happy to find another writer working on fiction surrounding the history of the pine barrens!

i am currently completing a story collection on the same subject for my MFA thesis. i think most of the research and sources i've been consulting, people have already mentioned, but i'd definitely look more into archives at stockton and area colleges if you're looking for more historically based information. i love this website, too. personally, the folklore about the area have informed me more than the "truth" of the place...and i don't really think folklore is the same as straightforward "history."

with fiction, when portraying a place like the NJPB, it's more like writing about a dream of the place rather than the place itself (for me anyway). my stories definitely won't be considered historical, and some of the information about place names and dates will certainly be in accurate, but they still get at the heart of what it means to live in and experience the pines, and they should still offer an appropriate picture of the general history of the place.

i'd be interested to hear updates on your work! there's a reason we're writing this stuff...i am always amazed that there are so few pine barrens books and stories out there.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
You've seen more info on Mullica than I have. So apparently we know when he was born?

How did the river come to have Mullica's name, if we assume he didn't discover it, and was just one of perhaps a few hundred settlers in the region at the turn of the century?

I was aware of the original name of "Eyren Haven," but I hadn't heard the specific story about the size of the eggs being related to the names "Great Egg Harbor River" and "Little Egg Harbor River."
Mark I was doing research on the Moravian Church in Gloucester County and came across this in my findings tonight. I know you guys have been talking about Mullica and this just came to mind. Eric is buried at this church and this is what I found in my research. Eric P. Mullica for whom the Mullica River is named and Mullica Hill is named. In the mid 1600s, he came with a group of settlers to Raccoon (which is near the area of the church) but did not stay long. He moved farther inland to the banks of the Little Egg Harbor River. He established a community on the river called Lower Bank, at Mullica Hill. Just adding to this group's findings. I know it answers nothing into the way of life in the mid-1800s. So my apologies. Good luck in your findings and keep us posted!

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thanks, Pineywoman. Just to clear a few things up: Mullica Hill and Lower Bank are different places. The latter is on the Mullica River, whereas Mullica Hill is in Gloucester County. It was Mullica's sons, including Eric Jr., who settled Mullica Hill. Eric Sr. is buried in an unmarked grave in Lower Bank.

P.S. Are you ready for the upcoming PBX hike on Saturday?

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Very odd. You're right, the author is incorrect. I just copied and pasted text due to research I was doing and saw this thread awhile back. It was from an Ebook. My apologies. I wasn't aware of a PBX hike. I was sick this past week. I slept, wrote, researched, repeat. I thought all the sons founded Mullica Hill (John, Eric, Olag, and William) They merged Mullica their last name to a smidgen of a hill and hence the name, Mullica Hill. I guess just correcting on senior Eric? I know it has nothing to do with really the river itself and research so apologies for going off-base!

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Hey guys. I've been unfortunately very busy with a change of jobs and various other things, and my forum reading has dropped considerably. I'll catch up on this thread and try to add what little I've learned since it was started. Pineywoman, I was derailed momentarily when I first considered Mullica Hill. Took me a bit to understand that it wasn't in the same area.

Sep 26, 2013
My name is Richard Smoot Clark III. I am from Utah, and am a descendent of Thomas Clark Sr. and Hannah. I am very interested in the history of Clark's landing. I have been told that's where the Clark's came to America. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard S Clark III