Slow site?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Verizon DSL is slow for me this morning on every site. Last night I kept getting timeout errors at the Macintosh app store. That is very unusual, normally it's very fast. But this morning the app store was fast, even though all the websites I'm trying are slow. Go figure....

Maybe SkyNet is starting to take control?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's all kinds of talk in the news about Cogent and Verizon fighting over peering agreements, since Verizon feels that they carry an inordinate amount of Netflix traffic. That was the explanation I was given for the slowdown, but I called BS on it since it was affecting Comcast customers as well as from my workstation in the office.

I have found another hosting provider that I am considering switching to, but I think that when I do that I will also upgrade to the latest version of the forum software and make some other fairly big changes.

Reactions: Boyd

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
What a surprise! :rolleyes: I think they all give mandatory 'pass-the-buck' training '. They usually blame the customer first.

As I mentioned, one of the traces I ran showed Cogent experiencing quite a number of timeouts. Do you have any monitors running for your site? This site is pretty good; they have a 24x7 monitor.

http://pageload.monitis.com/pagespeed.jsp

Yes, I have setup monitoring for the server. I monitor more than just page loading speeds as well.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Update: This is 100% happening because of Cogent and Verizon's spat over peering agreements and Netflix traffic. I also think that Comcast is having the same fight with Cogent as well.

When I try to connect to the site I get massive amounts of packet loss and latency. If I connect to the VPN I have at work and then try to load the site it loads fine.

So right now there's not much I can do. It's not in my hosting company's hands - this is something that Cogent and Verizon have to figure out.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Hate to say it, but the site has been really slow for me this week. Sometimes it will be fine, then a few minutes later the pages will hardly load at all. Really, it's the slowest site that I visit (and I have not been around much because it just gets frustrating).

Anyway, I know you've done everything you can Ben and am not complaining. Just an update. :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I feel your pain. I pretty much have to VPN into work to get my traffic over to the site. You can thank Cogent fighting with Verizon & Comcast over all of the Netflix traffic.

I really hope it clears up soon because I get a really good deal on hosting the server that I probably won't find anywhere else.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bugged my hosting company again. Their response:

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately there isn't much that we can do at this point. We have talked to Cogent about the issue, they are work with Verizon to resolve the issue. They assured us that there should be a resolution very soon.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Have been meaning to post about this.... everything has been working really well on the site recently, it's just as fast as it used to be. :) Am not really sure when the change came.... I think it happened while I was in Europe for 10 days recently. Anyway, it's all good now (so I hope I'm not jinxing things by posting this ;) ).