Slow site?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah, that's what I described above, and Ben explained that it is generated by javascript code that the site runs in your browser. I think this message appears if the NJPB server doesn't respond to your request in 30 seconds. Most of the time it has been bogus for me when it appears while making a post. The post actually does make it online, and I end up making a duplicate which I have to delete; :)

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have even had problems editing my own posts and also other members posts while trying to fix errors. It really is odd.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Site has been basically unusable for me tonight. I tried over and over and couldn't even get the homepage to load earlier. After lots of refreshing I was able to get this thread to appear but the page wasn't completely drawn and when I hit the post reply button it said "security error" - haven't seen that one before.

Refreshing again finally brought up the edit window. Let's see if this post makes it....

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's got to be on the hosting company's end. I'm seeing slowness getting here as well as their website.

I'm attempting to open up a more general ticket with them to see if they can find the root cause.

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
I saw this thread title and immediately figured it was lamenting the lack of forum activity lately.....Probably just me and my personal interests....And ironically of course this particular thread is very active lol

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well if people can't get the site to work, they won't post things that interest you. ;)

Thanks Ben, I really appreciate all that you do to keep the fires burning at NJPB!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Just an update -

Earlier today I opened up a ticket with the hosting company. Interestingly enough the speed to their site (and support ticket system) was just as bad as accessing things here. I informed them of this and they were surprised as their site is hosted in a totally different datacenter than mine.

In any event, I've just sent them some more information that they had asked for. I'm hoping that they can pinpoint the problem soon. In the meantime, I really appreciate everyone's patience as I work to get this fixed!

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ben, thank you for your efforts and the time you spend on keeping this site going.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Interesting. The response I got back was Cogent blaming Verizon.
What a surprise! :rolleyes: I think they all give mandatory 'pass-the-buck' training '. They usually blame the customer first.

As I mentioned, one of the traces I ran showed Cogent experiencing quite a number of timeouts. Do you have any monitors running for your site? This site is pretty good; they have a 24x7 monitor.

http://pageload.monitis.com/pagespeed.jsp