SNAKE HELP

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
I firmly deny that I ever helped you rescue a snake. :wink: That so called fond farewell would be me giving it the finger. :shock: No snakes were in my truck and forget about meeting the spider. I'd rather deal with a skunk or a bear.

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
I firmly deny that I ever helped you rescue a snake. :wink: That so called fond farewell would be me giving it the finger. :shock: No snakes were in my truck and forget about meeting the spider. I'd rather deal with a skunk or a bear.

LOL, you're too funny! Do those pop-out "snakes" in the applesauce can you gave the kids count as snakes???
:grin:

Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
A lot of people have that snake phobia. I love em, but that could be cause I was raised with them. When I was a kid in Mt Laurel there were always black snakes behind our garage, and my uncle had a 10+ foot boa constrictor that I used to handle all the time. A snake has the coolest feel to them, and you've never been "hugged" until you've been wrapped up in a boa...
Brian

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
That's about the only snakes I like. The kids really enjoyed those spring snakes in the applesauce can. I can still remember them laughing everytime they opened the lid. :D

B

bach2yoga

irishman said:
A lot of people have that snake phobia. I love em, but that could be cause I was raised with them. When I was a kid in Mt Laurel there were always black snakes behind our garage, and my uncle had a 10+ foot boa constrictor that I used to handle all the time. A snake has the coolest feel to them, and you've never been "hugged" until you've been wrapped up in a boa...
Brian

LOL, I remember the first time I had a boa hug, it was pretty cool! :bounce: One of the homeschool girls I know does snake rescue from pet owners that abandon their snakes, and she has a number of boas that she always brings in to show me. They are cool creatures.

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
That's about the only snakes I like. The kids really enjoyed those spring snakes in the applesauce can. I can still remember them laughing everytime they opened the lid. :D

Ken,

They still play with it! Little Walter was a blast that day. He still looks for it everytime he comes over!

They forget whom they have shown and are still trying to trick people with them. Once I caught them doing it to the cats, boy, did they high-tail it out of there when I started yelling! :lol: (the kids I mean, not the cats....the cats had already split when the "snakes" popped out! poor things...)

Would you believe Kristen tried to feed the turtle pepperoni the other day? :shock: Never a dull moment around here....

Renee

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
[/quote]Would you believe Kristen tried to feed the turtle pepperoni the other day? Never a dull moment around here....
I heard you can feed raw bacon to a turtle.
They still play with it! Little Walter was a blast that day. He still looks for it everytime he comes over!
I think I can dig up another one of those applesauce cans for little Walter.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
snake man,
I unabashedly declare myself a snake expert.While herping the barrens for herp atlas or on my own I"ve caught more kinds of snakes the others.I"ve lost the list that herp atlas puts out every year for their reports on numbers reported by participants but as far as my own experiences go I"d say first place goes to garter snakes.they live in all habitats and may show up anywhere.now barring garters it depends on where you at.in wet areas the northern banded water snake takes first prize.on high ground I"d give it to the northern black racer and secondly the black rat snake.90 % of your catches will be one of these four snakes.after this in barrens type dry to moist terrain ID go with pine snakes.I have people tell me their rare all the time.I say where their habitat is intact thats crap.In healthy barrens I find pines quite frequently.maybe because their such a noisy snake.quite lous and arrogant when approached,even if you haven"t seen them yet.Kingsnakes are plentiful in swamps but being primarily nocturnal are not found a lot.some of your rarer snakes are the ratller.I"ve only caught one in jersey in 32 years of snakein.caught more out of state.The only snakes I have yet to catch in jersey are the scarlet,milk snake (eastern or coastal plain variety) and the corn snake.I recently caught a milk snake in the shawangunks NY but that dont count.gotta be in jersey.their browner up there whereas ours are redder.scarlet snakes are worse for burrowing then pines and are nocturnal to boot only coming out primarily to mate on warm wet spring nights.they eat a lot of ground nesting bird eggs.
Hope this helps.
Al

sweetz34

Jun 24, 2004
Galloway,NJ
pine snacks

I agree about the pine snakes,they don't seem to be rare in my area either.
Also does anyone know if they eat mice, I need some more mice eating snakes around here :D

erika

B

bach2yoga

re:pine snacks

sweetz34 said:
I agree about the pine snakes,they don't seem to be rare in my area either.
Also does anyone know if they eat mice, I need some more mice eating snakes around here :D

erika

They are rare elsewhere, which makes them rare here, because they live so few other places. Sort of like Pine Barrens tree frogs.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
as far as their not being banded water snakes around here,well common names are like opinions,everyone has a few of them.the northern water snake,northern banded water snake or nerodia sipedon as the latin name would have it and the only name that can"t be argued does live here.Their is another snake Nerodia fasciata which is also referred to as the banded water snake only comes as far north as north carolina.Both sipedon and fasciata have various subspecies.both snakes have bands across their back.the sipedons tend to be more wavy the fasciatas tend to be straighter.Norther water snake,northern banded water snake,call it what you will it"s nerodia sipedon sipedon formally natrix and it"s not a cottonmouth unless of course you choose to call it one because all is fair in love and common names.The snake is non-venemous and the only way it might kill you is it"s smell.They will bite in a heartbeat but nothing worse then a razor nick.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes pine snakes eat mice,moles ,rats,baby rabbits,baby birds and eggs and any other war blooded critter they can catch.I once had a baby pine snake try to eat it"s sibling.had him half way down before I rescued him but this was right after coming out of winter hibernation and they were in a frenzy,snatching pinkies left and right and one of em got confused.they aren"t ophiophagous (snake eaters) as a habit.
Al

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
NJSnakeMan said:
Al, hope to see you at Manumuskin soon! Probualy sometime this summer, i'll let you know. Maybe you could show me around?

Y'all better not leave me out of that trip!

-Bob

Goanna

Jun 5, 2005
Hello All. I am new here. I am a Staten Islander with family in NJ so I wind up out there a few times each month.

I was in the woods near Spotswood/Monroe yesterday by the reservoirs looking for herps, or any wildlife for that matter, but I didnt see a thing :(. All I saw was dear droppings and tracks. I walked about 4 miles down the service roads that are there, and on several smaller paths. I am guessing I might have been too far north, or just too close to civilization to see much. I did come accross some Cactus growing along the road which I thought was pretty cool. It looked pretty harmless, but it definitly was not, Ouch, lol.

I would like to go again maybe next weekend, but apparently the area I was in was not good. If the thread starter did wind up going to Batsto river, I am curious to know how the trip turned out? Did you see any snakes? Any reptiles at all?

I was watching an animal planet show once, I dont remember if it was Mark O'shea or Jeff Corwin, but one of them went into the pine barrens and found an adult pine snake, as well as hatchlings emerging from the soil. I beleive they were near a river, right on the banks. Anyone know where that area was, was that Batsto?

Lastly, Is Batsto River considered an animal preserve area? Would I get in trouble for trying to handle the snakes and/or pose them for photos, or is it strictly a hands off deal around there? I was reading on a reptile site that if the rangers see you even touch a snake in the wildlife preserves they flip out on you. Guess we can thank the overzealous colletors for that :(