SNAKE HELP

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Hey everyone!
Next week i am going to Batsto River and im going to be looking for reptiles and amphibians, primarily snakes. Weather is sopose to be 80 but cloudy, i just wanted to know if that would still be fine for looking for snakes? Also i wanted to know what is the most common snake you found in the Pine Barrens and if any has been to Batsto, what they have found there? Thanks ive been looking for a site like this for awhile.
Thanks!

Brandon

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
NJSnakeMan said:
and i dont keep anything i catch in the wild thank you.

People like you intrigue me SnakeMan. Your name would lead someone to believe you know all about NJ snakes, and yet your questions leave me wondering. I would think a guy who calls himself snakeman would not have to ask us where the snakes are, and whether or not the weather is conducive to snakes, or what the common snake of NJ is. You should be telling me those things, not the other way around!

Whats the real deal dude!

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
What is the most common snake in the Pines? It's not the timber rattler, right...?

No, silly, it's an anaconda.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
No no no!!! You guys keep getting me wrong, i only go out herping when it is sunny out but someone told me it was sopose to be cloudy out so i wanted to know if anyone has caught anything on a cloudy day and i know what snakes are in New Jersey, i wanted to know if anyone has been the Batsto River and i wanted to know what snakes they have caught there and what was the most common they caught there, no wats in the state of NJ and wat is the more common snake in NJ. I just never went herping in Batsto before so i wanted to see how it was like, maybe its more clear to understand now?

B

bach2yoga

Good to know Snakeman....
I know the easiest ones to find, at least for me, are the common racers and black rat snakes....but there are certainly many others out there as well. :) I see a lot of northern water snakes too.
Renee

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
man i wish i could get over my phobia with snakes......superman had kryptonite..ive got snakes.....LOL....my knees knock together when i see one.......i went to brooksbie brick a few weeks ago.ive never seen the place before.i was by myself.....i was walking around and heard something next to me.i looked down and it was a little thin 12inch long snake.what i used to call a garter?? snake........well i decided i had seen enough.and left.....what a chicken huh??

B

bach2yoga

capttom said:
man i wish i could get over my phobia with snakes......superman had kryptonite..ive got snakes.....LOL....my knees knock together when i see one.......i went to brooksbie brick a few weeks ago.ive never seen the place before.i was by myself.....i was walking around and heard something next to me.i looked down and it was a little thin 12inch long snake.what i used to call a garter?? snake........well i decided i had seen enough.and left.....what a chicken huh??

You should talk to Kendawg. He LOVES snakes. :D

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
I`m right there with ya Capttom... i get along fine with snake`s as long as there`s glass between us. I was out doing some Geocaching the other day and walked up on the biggest Rat snake i`v ever seen, had to be 6-7 feet long. Needless to say i didn`t get that Geocach.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
capttom said:

I hear you. I'm not too fond of them either. I had an experience with one several years ago. I was cutting the lawn and two feet away this snake was slithering away. I never saw it again and am certainly glad I didn't mulch it up.

I was there several weeks ago and I can tell you I fear those DAMN dump trucks more than I do the snakes. I'm surprised that there aren't many dead deer on the side of the road.

B

bach2yoga

I like them....used to have a really big king snake, years ago...strong fellow! I had him in a large aquarium, and had bricks on the aquarium lid to keep the lid on, but he still got out. I don't usually handle snakes I come across while exploring, though, unless they are injured and need help.
Joe ran over one on the mower once, it was really sad. :(
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Not at all...Joe has not been lucky on the mower. He tells me, he'd gotten a rabbit nest before I knew him, really bothered him. He still remembers the screaming of the animals.
I'm not sure he would mind getting the would get the muskrats by the stream though. :?
Makes me wonder why we plant all these non-native wetland grasses in our yards to have a rectangular box of straight little leaves growing so we can spend our weekends and evenings cutting them...I can think of a million other things I would rather do, and a lot more interesting things to look at in a yard than grass. JMO, though. :p

Renee

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
You should talk to Kendawg. He LOVES snakes.
Renee got it all wrong. I HATE SNAKES ! SPIDERS TOO ! The Timber Rattler I almost stepped on didn't help me get over my fear either.

Oh, no, how could I have gotten so confused???? :D Didn't you like that snake you helped me rescue the other day? I could have sworn I saw you give it a fond farewell. :p And what about the one I told you I put in your truck seat? Didn't you like him? laughs..... :bounce:

By the way, I have a pet tarantula I think you'd enjoy meeting.

Renee