Snakes Alive

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way (for Gerry), I have lived in Bamber for 21 years and have only seen Pine snakes, black racers, green snakes, northern water snakes, and Timber Rattlers. The corn and mild snakes are quite a find for you. Do you have a lot of skill finding snakes? Were they all found in the mountain area?

bob

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
snakes

I seen Gerry"s photos and while he may be skilled at catching them he"s not at identifying them.His corn snakes are indeed corn snakes which are quite a find but his milk snake I"m sad to say is an eastern hognose and his water snake (at least one of them)is an eastern (chain)kingsnake.I"ve only caught one rattler in the barrens in my 30 some years of catching snakes so if you"ve seen a lot of em around bamber you have yourself a find:)
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al,

Bamber is a Natural Heritage Priority site for both timber rattlers and northern pine snakes. You don't catch 'em to keep or sell do you? They are both on the endangered species list..........bob

PS: I too had my doubts about the "milk" snake but I was just being nice. I have done my share of misidentification of plants myself.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
snakes

actually yes the rattlers are endangered but as of last year pine snakes were only on the threatened list which isn"t quite as bad and yes they are both illegal to catch and keep.
I have a lifetime project going on to capture and release every type of snake native to south jersey.theirs 21 to 23 depending on what you consider south jersey.The only ones I have yet to catch are corns,easten milk and coastal plain milk and the scarlet snake.
for the record I dont believe pine snakes are as rare as they claim but they are very fossorial (burrowing)the only snake being more so would be the scarlet hence they are very seldom seen but being they are diurnal (daytime) snakes thay are seen occasionally.problem with scarlets is thay only come to the surface during the spring to breed on humid or rainy nights and are excellent hiders even while on top.All my snakes I keep as pets are legal which is hard to do as jersey is the most overregulates herp state in the nation as well as just about everything else for that matter:)
Al

B

bach2yoga

Al,
Have you met Bill, the reptile wrangler? He's on the Manumuskin preserve at least once a day. I just put a pic in my album the other day of him radioing in snakes at Manumuskin. He's a really cool guy, let us tag behind him and watch what he was doing. He tracked a particular pine snake over 3 miles in less than a week after its release. He hasn't found any rattlers down there yet, but suspects that Peaslee may have some and is eager to catch one.
I read somewhere, though I don't remember were, that Pine Snake is considered threatened mostly because of its habitat, somewhat like the Pine Barrens Tree Frog. Meaning that, they are not considered threatened when you look at their numbers in the Pines, but when you look at it on a macro scale, and take into account the destruction of their habitat and where they are able to survive on a federal or global scale, they are definitely threatened.
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bill

Yes I know bill.he used to work with my wife at santas best.i think he still works there.he runs snake fence and snake traps out there.The man knows his stuff when it comes to pine snakes.he also is a damn good photographer from what i hear.
Al

B

bach2yoga

Bill

manumuskin said:
Yes I know bill.he used to work with my wife at santas best.i think he still works there.he runs snake fence and snake traps out there.The man knows his stuff when it comes to pine snakes.he also is a damn good photographer from what i hear.
Al

Is he? I hadn't heard that. He was wonderfully fascinating, and I learned an awful lot from him that day. His herp knowledge was astounding. I'd love to spend a couple weeks tagging along on his work!
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
garndaddy

bill told me he has a pine snake out there he calls grandad.he"s over 7 ft long and is 22 years old and this was 2 years ago so if he"s still around he"s 24.if he"s 24 and grandad,what am I at 39:-(
Al

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
To All,
Just a word of warning. I was checking out the Batona Campground off Carranza rd. As I was stepping out of my truck I heard a hissing and a shaking sound. I looked down at the noise and I said a few choice words not repeatable here. There, about 5 feet away was Timber Rattler. I only had one foot out on the ground, so I pulled it back in and closed the door. I didn't see it when I pulled up. I reported it to the Atsion Ranger Station and were very interested about it. They work with an enviormental group to monitor them.
Ken

B

bach2yoga

Ken,
I've heard they may be a bit more likely to see them this time of year--they should be making their way toward their winter dens (cedar swamps). What color phase was it? Scary but beautiful animal, huh?
Glad you didn't wind up any closer to him!!! We saw one in a group I was with up at Warren Grove a couple of weeks ago. I always worry about the kids and the rattlesnakes.
Renee

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
I was out there on Saturday afternoon. There is a cedar swamp nearby. The Rattler was a yellowish color. The word 'Crikey' never entered my mind, but I will tell you what I said, in private if you like. Ken

newdeal83

Apr 17, 2004
Tabernacle NJ
In regards to the snake being called 'grandad'. I live on the border of wharton state forest in Tabernacle. Though it was a few years ago now my brother and I captured a Pine snake that was no lie 7 feet long at least. It was a site to see.

B

bach2yoga

Ha, I just realized I named another thread the same thing the other day. didn't realize... :chug:
Renee