Snow ??

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Does anyone have their own weather station? I used to have one at our cabin and thought of getting another but with Weather Underground and the private stations they have online, decided it wasn't worth the expense.

It is one nasty day out there today.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Beautiful, not nasty! :) Just returned from about an hour's walk in the rain. No snow yet down here.

Not around here; sleet & wind. The beach is taking another battering. Gonna be a loooong, cold, erosion filled winter.

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
Does anyone have their own weather station?

In my previous classroom I used to have a Davis Instruments station. As far as I know the station is still there. We had it hooked up to our web site (circa 1995) with a dual modem. Back then I longed to own a home so I could install a similar system.

I now own that home now, but since I live within walking distance of a NOAA station, I figure my own would be inadequate.

FWIW, it is snowing here.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's been snow/sleet since around 7pm, tree trunks are white, everything else is slush. It appears we are on the snow/sleet line as it changes back and forth. It all should be out of here soon.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We got about a half inch here in lovely Trenton, just started to coat the roads before it passed. There are still a few white lawns and rooftops this morning. Nice day! :)
Here's what it looks like from my front window just now:

mms_picture.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
In the forecasts you included above, Accuweather was calling for 1 to 3 inches in the pines. The National Weather Service called for between a tenth and a quarter of an inch. As near as I can tell from that map, we got between a trace and .4 inches.

46er said:
IMHO, NOAA is the worst for accuracy, our tax dollars at work. When I ran a boat, I kept a weather log, they were accurate on just 20% of their forecasts. I like Accuweather, if they are wrong, they lose business.

Well, at least this time around, our tax dollars worked and Accuweather lost business. :dance:

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I had picked up about 1/2" here, it was an odd storm thanks to how it was dynamically enchanced. In other words, it snowed wherever the heavier precip was, thereby dragging the colder air to the surface. This is why ACY airport and surrounding environs reported snow for several hours, while areas like Millville had rain eventhough they are further west. This led to slightly "deeper" snowfall in Atlantic County, however it wasn't enough to withstand the heavy rain last night lol. On saturday it started snowing here around 2PM, with the last of the snow melting sometime last night!

At one time the storm we had this morning was looking like a snow event, but the (double) low went west of us- which brought in warmer air. The next chance of any snow will come in the Sunday timeframe when a storm approaches that the models don't quite have a good handle on yet. A few days ago the GFS, NAM, etc were taking it and suppressing it to the south, while today one has been riding it up the Apps (like this one did) and the other out to sea. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out... with our next threat of precip being around the 16th. With potentially very cold air after.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Man, it was raining cats and dogs here this morning. Miserable driving in the pre-dawn hours with some pretty deep puddles that you couldn't see until you already hit them.

Good thing it wasn't 20 degrees colder or we would probably have 3 feet of snow now! Well... maybe not such a good thing either, because I would have just stayed home if that happened. :)

This is SUCH a wet year. If it continues then we are gonna have a lot of snow during the next couple months...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This time NOAA and Accuweather agree, it must be 2012. :) Latest projection is 3-7". Hope the time line is right, I have to go up to NWK airport tonight to pick up family :jeffd:

I'm pullin' for the Christmas storm that's percolating.