Solar Eclipse 2017

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Any one here heading out to see the eclipse on August 21st I"m heading to Francis Marion Forest in the middle of a open canopy longleaf pine forest unless bad weather is predicted for there,then I may head west to Spring City TN or thereabouts.Last chance till April 8 2024 when another passes through Ohio,PA and NY

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Any one here heading out to see the eclipse on August 21st I"m heading to Francis Marion Forest in the middle of a open canopy longleaf pine forest unless bad weather is predicted for there,then I may head west to Spring City TN or thereabouts.Last chance till April 8 2024 when another passes through Ohio,PA and NY

I was in Francis Marion Forest once, in 1977. I was doing a summer of work at the Charleston Navy Shipyard. The trees are tall, best you find an open spot around there. If I recall, there were not that many open areas, but things may have changed.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was Google Sightseeing along a dirt road in the forest that is dead zero on the center of the track and the woods appear to be very open and Longleaf Pine.I have been in these forests when I lived down south and they are often very open. I was hoping most folks would feel the same that the woods will obstruct the eclipse and they'll head elsewhere.Francis Marion is expected to have a better chance of clear skies then the rest of SC because it's on the coast and the ocean breeze holds the clouds inland.I noticed that as a kid beach bumming in Wildwood while Mom was Chamber Maiding. You could look inland all day long and see banks of cumulus clouds but they literally stayed there all day long and the whole ocean was crystal clear.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
No plans to; friends from WY tell me there are no rooms anywhere along the path, Yellowstone/Tetons are expected to be packed, as are the Smokies.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map
I"m planning on driving down at night,seeing the eclipse and turning around and driving back.Still going to have to miss two days of work because I"ll be wasted pulling in at 3 am.No way I"m getting up at 7 am to go to work. 3 Points!

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I remember the one in 79. It was only partial here too. After all the hype it was cloudy and just got dark for a bit. I was in school and we made these elaborate devices to view it too:(

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Doesn't interest me in the least. What will we see here (if it doesn't rain)?
I think your going to see about 80% of the disc covered here,if you have eclipse glasses or welding goggles that is.probably not real impressive.The total phase is whats impressive.It gets dark at midday,stars come out,birds go to sleep.Night bugs start chirping and the sun looks like a big black circle with the firery corona and prominences fluttering and shooting out around the perimeter of the moon. The most magnificent sight to be seen by naked eye in all the heavens,maybe even the most magnificent of all.

PineClark

Jun 9, 2017
Manalapan
I'm heading down there to stay overnight near Asheville, NC Sunday night. Then just find someplace to go the next morning for viewing. I took off two days as well but I'm driving Tuesday. I'd have trouble staying awake that late driving.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It gets dark at midday,stars come out,birds go to sleep.Night bugs start chirping and the sun looks like a big black circle with the firery corona and prominences fluttering and shooting out around the perimeter of the moon. The most magnificent sight to be seen by naked eye in all the heavens,maybe even the most magnificent of all.

That's downright poetic... almost makes me want to go and see it myself! :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm heading down there to stay overnight near Asheville, NC Sunday night. Then just find someplace to go the next morning for viewing. I took off two days as well but I'm driving Tuesday. I'd have trouble staying awake that late driving.
They say the Smokies are one of the areas where viewing is likely to be obscured,after all their not called the Smokies for nothing:) I hopr their not obscured for your sake.I"m going to be keeping a close eye on the weather for a few days before the eclipse.Hopefully there will be a clear area withing twelve hours of here.If I take off more then two days in a row I have to have a doctors note to get back into work.The Doc will have to say I had Ecliptitis.

Reactions: Trailwalker

PineClark

Jun 9, 2017
Manalapan
I was planning to head SW from Asheville because it would be closer, but you bring up a good point about the smokeys.

Either way, I'll be checking the weather for the next couple weeks! I'll just probably head more SE now depending on how things look.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
the sun looks like a big black circle with the firery corona and prominences fluttering and shooting out around the perimeter of the moon.

I just might have to dig out my 'REPENT' sign and take up a position in downtown Toms River :eek:

repent_sign.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just might have to dig out my 'REPENT' sign and take up a position in downtown Toms River :eek:

repent_sign.jpg
Maybe the next two eclipses will be more then just entertainment.By the way the paths cross right over the New Madrid fault and this eclipse Passes Over several earthquake zones besides New Madrid.It comes in over one on the pacific Coast,crosses southern Yellowstone and also right over Charleston SC which is another big earthquake fault.Maybe I"ll make myself up one of those signs.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Heading out tomorrow night.Looks like Meigs County park TN gets the prize! South Carolina is gonna be a washout and SW NC has a possibility of clouding up right at eclipse time.Spring city will become partly cloudy around 1pm but thats better then mostly cloudy.Everywhere in the east is listed to be at least partly cloudy by noon,at least anywhere on the totality track.Be right by the Lake (Dammed up Tennessee River)Dogs will enjoy a swim before the trip home.Truck will smell ripe on the way back:-(