Speed Bump

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So, what do you all think of the speed bump in downtown Chatsworth? My town made the decision a few years ago to do this and it annoys the hell out of me. I hate those things.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
There are three of them and that annoys me three times as much. Wait until they are painted and it ruins the feel of the town even more. Enforcing the speed limit would solve the problem. The sign warning about speeding and meeting the judge doesn't deter a thing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They wanted to put one in front of my house and I told the Mayor to basically not even think about it. They put it further up the street. Each time I cross it especially early in the morning when I know most of the people nearby are sleeping I wonder how they sleep at night with the cars all hitting it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not an issue for me, I think they did a good job on them unlike others I have see. These are fairly gradual and in areas where there is pedestrian traffic, such as the school, post office and hot dog stand :D and they do work. They do need to be painted so folks can see them better. Forsythe NWR put them in and they are like half a culvert, I don't see how a car can pass over without scraping and they show the scars of that happening.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When did they put the speed bumps in? I went through Chatsworth about two weeks ago and don't remember seeing them.

It is part of the re-paving being done. The 'business district' from the firehouse to the township building was done. Nice and smooth now, with only 3 bumps ;)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
route 532 from 563 to route 72 is nice and smooth now. I recall that there was a very tragic fatality not too long ago in town that involved a child and a speeding car. It may be a little annoying but nobody has any business going over 25 MPH in that little stretch anyway. I don't know Gibby....if they look real bad, I never really thought of it. they have reflectors right now, but i think those are temporary.

Jeff

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I know that the speed bumps serve a purpose and probably were requested, but the first thought that came to mind, when I saw the trio, was strip mall. I don't know why I thought that but I felt that they cheapened the character and identity of Chatsworth. As I drove through I was expecting to see a coming soon sign for Panera's or Subway.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree Gibby.

I hate to admit it but when I see a town with a speed bump much like the town I live in, I always think less of the town for it. It is unnecessary. Much like red light camera's.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My Solara transmission traction light came on when I hit the ones in Mt. Holly last year and it never went off. Those are ridiculous. They are real honest to goodness bumps. You cannot go over them at 10 mph without wondering if you did damage.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe this is Chatsworth's way of saying "if you don't like our speed bumps, just keep the hell away from our town". :D

The problem is the road is a county road which means it is yours and mine and not just theirs. When more towns understand that the better off we all would be.

Guy

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Why and who;

"The speed humps were requested by the municipality, to address speeding complaints by residents.
They were installed by the Department of Public Works - Division of Engineering yearly road overlay project which is funded by NJDOT ATP grant and supplemented by County funds.
If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.
Best regards,
Joseph Brickley
Director of DPW/County Engineer"

As Marthuh would say, "It's a good thing."

OUCH! Ya gotz to pay attentzion, even in Mehico.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They have some wicked speed bumps in my mother in laws trailer park,some are painted and some aren't.the unpainted ones are almost impossible to see when driving into the sun,I still hit the one too hard and they've been there a couple years now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That video tells it perfectly. They are a menace and should all be eliminated. I have to think that in no time at all those who live by them will be regretting them.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That video tells it perfectly. They are a menace and should all be eliminated. I have to think that in no time at all those who live by them will be regretting them.

Guy

It will mean that all of the loud motorcycles on 563 will have to slow down as they roll through town. I am sure everyone will just love that.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Oh my,

This is only the beginning. If the State continues to advocate Pinelands Villages as "centers of place" growth areas, Villages like Chatsworth will increasingly become urbanized. The idea of traffic calming is not necessarily a safety issue, but one of economics. According to an NJDOT report slowing people down in Pinelands Villages means drivers will more likely stop to buy things associated with new development projects. Everywhere else circles are removed for safety concerns, but not in Pinelands Villages.

Richland Village traffic calming.png

Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 1.03.31 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 1.02.57 PM.png
Best,
Spung-Man

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That proposed circle in Richland is insane! It's not like that's the intersection of another major highway or anything. The truck traffic on Rt 40 would love that thing. If there was an established business district there with people coming and going from stores, I could understand it. If it becomes something like that in the future, then I could also see it. But the "build it and they will come" theory seems absurd to me.

Anyway, according to NJDOT, I suppose that at lest Marilyn and the hot dog guy will benefit from the Chatsworth bumps. :D