Spikes in the ground (lacey)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Dave, thanks for the heads up. Where are you from? I don't understand this at all. If it is on Parker's Property, why would you not suspect people working for him first? When my son was 11 or so, one of Parkers Caretakers fired a gun while they snuck on the property to swim. I don't think Parker knew about it beforehand, but people can get out of control.

Also, I told the story of Clayton's sand pit. They dug 16" deep trenches across the road and then flattened out the dirt so you could not see them until you were right on top of them. I broke 5 bones in my foot from that on my motorcycle. The guy tried to blame it on a local, but I found where his bulldozer made a path, and 2 weeks later he covered them all up.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Hope noone has gotten hurt.

And im not surprised, we had similar things in Camden County in a small patch of woods at the end of our street, they also tied heavy fishing line on all the trails for people illegally riding quads and motorcycles.

GL finding the people that did it

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Dave, thanks for the heads up. Where are you from? I don't understand this at all. If it is on Parker's Property, why would you not suspect people working for him first? When my son was 11 or so, one of Parkers Caretakers fired a gun while they snuck on the property to swim. I don't think Parker knew about it beforehand, but people can get out of control.

Also, I told the story of Clayton's sand pit. They dug 16" deep trenches across the road and then flattened out the dirt so you could not see them until you were right on top of them. I broke 5 bones in my foot from that on my motorcycle. The guy tried to blame it on a local, but I found where his bulldozer made a path, and 2 weeks later he covered them all up.

No problem on the heads up, I just think its horibble and everyone shopuld be notified. One of the main reasons i don't think its an employee of Parker or Claytons, is that, they are all over the place not just on ones property. Also as I stated the person couldn't weld at all. Alot of pit workers also know how to weld. If it was specifically on one persons property then I may be able to point a finger. Never heard your Claytons story, I haven't really been on hear but maybe a month or so.
By the way, I'm from just outside of Atco, but Lacey is my weekend home. I know quite a few people specifically from Bamber.
Aaron, nobody has gotten hurt........yet. hopefully nobody will either.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If it was specifically on one persons property then I may be able to point a finger.

If you need help making a photo map with marked locations of all the spikes found so far, I can do that easily. I think a big picture would help zero in a particular house, should it be a particular person. Also, there are always tax maps. If so, send me a private message.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm not going to take this thread down. I want people to know what's going on in the woods around them. And, if the person who did this reads the site, I want them to know how much of a low-life scumbag they are.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you need help making a photo map with marked locations of all the spikes found so far, I can do that easily. I think a big picture would help zero in a particular house, should it be a particular person.

That certainly would help to show any pattern in their placement.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I'm not going to take this thread down. I want people to know what's going on in the woods around them. And, if the person who did this reads the site, I want them to know how much of a low-life scumbag they are.

Ben, I think leaving this thread up is a good idea. Even for everyone's safety. I, for one thank you and Mudboy for this thread seing how I plan on hitting the pines this weekend with my dog in tow. I won't be in the mentioned area, but I will keep my eyes open to anything suspicious. Thanks again.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Please, if anyone else runs across this kind of crap anywhere, by all means post up the location or pm me and i will come remove it and get coords. I know I may never stop it, but this just uncalled for. Same with fishing line. Fishing line gets strung across trails to get ATV riders. I guess people don't realize that the height that most people are riding at is the same height as a deers neck. The ignorance is just so horrible. I get myself so worked up just thinking about it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To be honest we need a photo of one. I remember when Stu (Onehand) first posted about this and I could not visualize what he was referring to. And I still can't.

Guy

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
A few years ago, while working on my clubs enduro, I hit a speaker wire that was strung up across a trail. Luckily it broke when I hit it. I had my chest protector on also. This was deep in the woods and not near any major dirt roads or open areas.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
got some pics finally from a freind, unfortunately I havent been able to make it back up around that way in a while. 7 more have been found. some were extremely fresh.

Attachments

• 1spike.JPG
    1spike.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 383

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
That would definetly cause some damage to anything or anyone who ran across it. I sure hope they find whose doing this, and soon!!
I just saw the second pic. With those long stakes, I say who ever plants them, doesn't want those things coming out of the ground to easily.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
That would definetly cause some damage to anything or anyone who ran across it. I sure hope they find whose doing this, and soon!!
I just saw the second pic. With those long stakes, I say who ever plants them, doesn't want those things coming out of the ground to easily.

nah, they are a real pain in the you know what to get out, thjey gotta be wiggled then pulled straight out. if you pull on the slightest angle they wont come out. so whomever/whatever may put pressure onto these things is going to get punctured and it will stay there. the bad thing is that where they are planted they are not visible, they are placed in soft soil (sand/mud) to where once you go over them they just get covered once again.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is a LOT worse than I imagined. Some idiot is very serious about what they are trying to do. Hopefully they will get caught planting one. I wonder how many someone with a metal detector would find.