spung?????

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Mudboy,
Just because advanced folks like Guy and I remember having only three good channels on the tv and having to actually get up to change channels does not make us old,it makes us "historically aware".
Al

i have to laugh reading this thread... 3 channels, yep and the stations went off every night with the flag and star spangle banner playing, at I believe midnight. ...besides being "historically aware" we are like fine wine....."aged to perfection"
old enough to know better and young enough to still get out there to do stuff!

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Mudboy,
Just because advanced folks like Guy and I remember having only three good channels on the tv and having to actually get up to change channels does not make us old,it makes us "historically aware".
Al

But have any of you ever had to dial a phone, talk on a party line, and be taught to pick up only on the correct number of rings?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
But have any of you ever had to dial a phone, talk on a party line, and be taught to pick up only on the correct number of rings?

Yes, and I remember hiding under my desk at school when the air raid sirens went off.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, and I remember hiding under my desk at school when the air raid sirens went off.

Same here. Like that was going to help.

BTW, I have been checking out a few other spungs on aerial maps, and one of these days Jessica and I are going to have a post titled either "Four Spungs in a day" or Five Spungs in a day." Who knows, maybe even six.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003

BTW, I have been checking out a few other spungs on aerial maps, and one of these days Jessica and I are going to have a post titled either "Four Spungs in a day" or Five Spungs in a day." Who knows, maybe even six.

Guy

Hurray, we're getting back to spungs!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

No I never had to use a party line and I don't remember air raid sirens,I thought that was world war two stuff.I do remember running behind the mosquito sprayer truck because i thought it was fun to play in the fog and nobody ever once told me that might not be good for me.I remember getting in fist fights in school and getting detention,not expelled or arrested and no knives,chains or guns were involved.Back when if you smoked cigarettes you were bad or cool whatever your opinion of it was and if you smoked weed there was no hope for you because you were a drug adict.I remember my best friends older brother having a black light and lava lamps and psychadelic peace signs painted all over his walls and I wore bell bottoms and earth shoes to school and didn't know i was a hippie.Not quite old enough to have been a hippie myself but not far off,I remember it.
Al

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org

Guy

Do you plan on hitting this one I listed?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

You may want to very quickly read over the posts in this thread first to refresh yourself.

Yesterday, I visited the two spungs that Jeff previously photographed, and I have taken the liberty of adding Jeff's photo's to my post for comparison. Here is the round spung when he was there, and yesterday when i was there.

Jeff's previous photo.

0324.JPG

And mine from yesterday from a slightly different location.

IMG_5492.JPG

Nearby there is a "sunglass" shaped one and here is Jeff's photo of it.

0244.JPG

Mine from yesterday. Significantly less water.

IMG_5497.JPG

Looking the other direction.

IMG_5498.JPG

And straight ahead where it is at it's thinnest.

IMG_5499.JPG

An ATV tested the "water" and was going to try to travel in it.

IMG_5500.JPG

This bird was there and did not seem to mind we had arrived. What kind is it?

IMG_5496.JPG

With those two out of the way I turned my sights on the spung that started this thread. Mudboy Dave had noticed it on aerial and mentioned it was near where he grew up, and he was going to visit there with his dad. I mentioned to him in a PM that I was waiting for him to go, and he assured me that it was fine for me to visit before he did. So today I decided to do just that.

I did a little homework and figured out where the best place to start from to make the trip as easy as possible. Fortunately, I picked the perfect entrance location and worked my way directly to it. It was completely dry.

These poles were in the middle of it. Usually, they are water testing equipment but these are different. They even had some sort of string tied on them, almost like a sign. Maybe a former PBX rest stop :)

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

A fire break went right through it! That seems ridiculous.

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

A panoramic.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/09052010/pan.jpg

From there I traveled to the 1/4 mile area. I wanted to run my GPS through it's paces and see what was going on there. I know of a well hidden parking area and from there started through the woods to arrive unseen. Using the map I picked the location and flawlessly made it directly to the spot. The place was empty so I turned around and headed back a different way. I had marked my car and made my way easily back to it. The GPS worked very well and the maps actually were nice. I now need to try it in a cedar swamp.

Along the way I found what I believe is the old road that was used maybe even by me in the 70's.

IMG_5523.JPG

The other direction.

IMG_5525.JPG

A few other views.

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

And this was most likely an old sawmill that I saw on my travels.

IMG_5522.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Trailwalker

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, notice how that mill foundation looks similar to Dover Forge's old mill.

That is exactly what caught my attention. I have been to that place a few times before, one with Ben, but the water was never that low to see it.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice photos Guy. Those spungs are pretty cool huh? Those sand pipers get around, I've been seeing them all over. I used to see them at friendship sometimes. That old mill is a great find!!!!