Squirrel recipies

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My wife and I and my sons eat 10-15 squirrels every season and they are very good. I have an endless supply right out the door.
I like hunting squirrels almost as much as deer and they are almost as smart. I am not talking about the ones in the yard eating out of a birdfeeder.
I usually partially boil the skinned and gutted squirrel for about 20 minutes and the pick the meat off the bones and discard any shot.
After that, the possibilities are endless.
I like sauteeing the meat in garlic and olive oil and mixing in chopped onion, salt, black pepper, basil, oregano ,chopped green pepper and a little celery.
Let that cool overnight. The next day, squirrel salad sandwiches on real Italian rolls (Cascia's, Liscio's or Aversa only) with roasted long hots and a glass of my homemade red wine to wash it down.
It really doesn't get any better than that.
Scott
:)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I would never have made a good pioneer. If I think about my food when it was alive I would never be able to eat meat.

The worst was when I was watching a TV show and it had baby chickens on it. And guess what my wife made for dinner... :(

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
4WheelingBee said:
Speaking of muskrats, how common are they in the pines? We saw one on Saturday night on our weekend night drive through the woods. We have never seen one ever before.

Sounds like a real backwoods meal. Would like to sample it sometime.