State Budget Axe being sharpened

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well that's too bad, but it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Everyone wants to balance the budget.... as long as the cuts don't come from one of their favorite programs. Unfortunately, if they are serious about fixing the problems in this state, we are all going to have to endure cuts which we don't like.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
starting March 1st, you can be pulled over for talking on a cell phone while driving.. and ticketed - no questions.. that should increase the state revenue a bit..

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
If Corzine and the state government had been doing their job properly, NJ wouldn't have been in this mess to begin with.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I never got the closing of parks when it has happened in the past. I feel it is more to drive home a painful point than a matter of necessity. Most of us are able to benefit from the state parks without much help from the state. They already have a carry in, carry out trash policy. Emergency assistance is an issue, but most outdoors people do just fine on WMAs and other public lands that are not staffed. It reminds me of the time the federal government was shut down and they closed the Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge. If you wanted to duck hunt on a little saltmarsh island in the middle of Great Bay, you couldn't because it was closed!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
But now that the belt has to be tightened, it should be non-citizens that should feel the cuts first.

I agree - how about a $1.00 per-word fee for everyone from New York who posts things on a New Jersey website? :pigfly:

Or how about just doing something simple, and equitable: slash the budget of every state agency and program by a flat amount - 5%, 10%, 15%.... whatever it would take. Then let those agencies decide how to best allocate their resources. Nobody would like that, but it would be fair.

All politicians have a bag of “tricks” they pull out in times of austerity. These usually include the closure or curtailment of anything the taxpayer uses with regularity, such as parks, libraries, archives, etc. Of course, pet programs and projects almost always remain fully funded. I agree with Boyd—cut all departmental and programmatic budgets and let the agency figure out where the cuts should occur. But I doubt the pols will ever release that amount of power from their grubby, slimy grasps.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I agree - how about a $1.00 per-word fee for everyone from New York who posts things on a New Jersey website? :pigfly:

Or how about just doing something simple, and equitable: slash the budget of every state agency and program by a flat amount - 5%, 10%, 15%.... whatever it would take. Then let those agencies decide how to best allocate their resources. Nobody would like that, but it would be fair.

Exactly. Have agencies do the same thing we all do with our household finances

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Maybe the state should think about cutting welfare to non-citizens before they close parks.

Keep your anti-immigration opinions on your Youtube rants and not on this site. I've warned you several times. The next time I'm going to ban you.

This is not a political site. This is a site to discuss the New Jersey Pine Barrens. It's bad enough hearing about New York, but then to hear your incessant whining about illegals and deal with the drama that has followed you from YouTube onto this site is too much.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Sorry I was only bringing up ideas. I should know better than to bring that up.:( I'd just hate to see any parks closed. I think parks uses such little money compared to other state programs. Why not go after the ones that use the most money first?
So what other programs in NJ waste money? (I know..government always wastes money..)

Keep your anti-immigration opinions on your Youtube rants and not on this site. I've warned you several times. The next time I'm going to ban you.

This is not a political site. This is a site to discuss the New Jersey Pine Barrens. It's bad enough hearing about New York, but then to hear your incessant whining about illegals and deal with the drama that has followed you from YouTube onto this site is too much.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I see what you're saying, everyone should feel the pain. But I don't get why they should close parks, sure they can close some pools and stuff like that, but how much can it possibly cost the state to have hikers on trails?
As far as trail maintanance, you can get volunteer groups to maintain the trails.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
I never got the closing of parks when it has happened in the past. I feel it is more to drive home a painful point than a matter of necessity. Most of us are able to benefit from the state parks without much help from the state. They already have a carry in, carry out trash policy. Emergency assistance is an issue, but most outdoors people do just fine on WMAs and other public lands that are not staffed. It reminds me of the time the federal government was shut down and they closed the Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge. If you wanted to duck hunt on a little saltmarsh island in the middle of Great Bay, you couldn't because it was closed!
German, that is exactly the point. They are the hammer, we are the nail. Flash back to when Mr. Corzine didn't get his way with the new 7% sales tax and shut down the state? Then as soon as it passed, all workers got retro pay anyway. A good way to save probably a billion quick is take away all state cars and phones. We all know that except for police, these are pretty much perks. Sorry end of rant.
Tom

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I hate pork barrel spending and then they turn around and say we're the ones who have to suffer from cuts. The only kind of pork I like is on my dinner plate.:D