Stealth camping and caterpillars

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
4:50 on Sunday morning I walked to the end of a peninsula, an old dike that has been breached by water. The other half of the dike was directly across from me. Standing in the water, I heard a noise, then saw a headlamp emerging from the darkness. I yelled "Hey, are you hunting?" He answered "No". I asked "Are you a photographer?" He said, "No, I'm camping and you scared the sh#t out of me."

The Azalea caterpillar arches it's head and tail when disturbed, I guess to resemble a leaf. Nature is so spectacular. Also, a Blue Dasher dragonfly, and a savannah in Wharton.
2020-07-19_bog_island.jpg

2020-07-16_azalea_caterpillar.jpg

2020-07-16_blue_dasher.jpg

2020-07-15_over_the_grass.jpg

Last edited:

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Must be some special time for them caterpillars. I was out walking around the Lacey Materials on Saturday and I kept finding them all over the place. The odd thing was they were all in the middle of a gravel pit and no where near any trees or vegetation.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe
4:50 on Sunday morning I walked to the end of a peninsula, an old dike that has been breached by water. The other half of the dike was directly across from me. Standing in the water, I heard a noise, then saw a headlamp emerging from the darkness. I yelled "Hey, are you hunting?" He answered "No". I asked "Are you a photographer?" He said, "No, I'm camping and you scared the sh#t out of me."

The Azalea caterpillar arches it's head and tail when disturbed, I guess to resemble a leaf. Nature is so spectacular. Also, a Blue Dasher dragonfly, and a savannah in Wharton.
View attachment 13844
View attachment 13845
View attachment 13846
View attachment 13847

OMG, he keeps getting better,!

Reactions: mowergod

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Ben, I am not on Instagram or Flickr. I was on Nat Geo for about a year but they shut it down. I know everyone else with a camera is, I've just been focusing on exploring and taking photos. I registered a domain name 10 years ago and haven't done anything with that either. I should probably expand beyond Facebook soon.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben, I am not on Instagram or Flickr. I was on Nat Geo for about a year but they shut it down. I know everyone else with a camera is, I've just been focusing on exploring and taking photos. I registered a domain name 10 years ago and haven't done anything with that either. I should probably expand beyond Facebook soon.

I'm about to get rid of my Facebook. I'll keep instagram just for my photography. You might also like 500px, too.

Your images are great; I'd love to see them during my Instagram scrolls.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks, I'm looking at Instagram now. At first glance it appears to be designed to upload photos from a phone, and the interface appears to be ios and not OS X friendly, so I probably need to figure it out. Instagram has a billion users, so it would seem to make sense to have an account there.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks, I'm looking at Instagram now. At first glance it appears to be designed to upload photos from a phone, and the interface appears to be ios and not OS X friendly, so I probably need to figure it out. Instagram has a billion users, so it would seem to make sense to have an account there.

I'll export from Lightroom and then Airdrop the photo(s) to my phone. From there I upload it to Instagram. I think there are 3rd party clients to post to Instagram from a desktop app but the official way is to do it from the iOS app.

I'm at https://instagram.com/benruset

Reactions: Steve McKee

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I'll export from Lightroom and then Airdrop the photo(s) to my phone. From there I upload it to Instagram. I think there are 3rd party clients to post to Instagram from a desktop app but the official way is to do it from the iOS app.

I'm at https://instagram.com/benruset

Beautiful shots Ben. I was trying to figure out how to get the photos into my phone. It's good to know that Airdrop will do it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My daughter is a big Instagram user and for awhile I was too, but lost interest. Deleted the app from my phone and haven't even visited there for about 5 years. But it's a popular place and I'm sure your work will find a whole new audience.

This story just now broke...

"Facebook, owner of Instagram, is facing a lawsuit over allegedly harvesting the biometric data of users, according to Bloomberg.

Facebook was specifically accused of collecting, storing, and profiting from the biometric data of over 100 million Instagram users. Crucially, users did not give consent and were not aware of this alleged data-harvesting."

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
You can google "downloading pictures from a PC to Instagram" there are a bunch of youtube videos explaining how to do it. It's pretty easy, I can do it!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
My daughter is a big Instagram user and for awhile I was too, but lost interest. Deleted the app from my phone and haven't even visited there for about 5 years. But it's a popular place and I'm sure your work will find a whole new audience.

This story just now broke...

"Facebook, owner of Instagram, is facing a lawsuit over allegedly harvesting the biometric data of users, according to Bloomberg.

Facebook was specifically accused of collecting, storing, and profiting from the biometric data of over 100 million Instagram users. Crucially, users did not give consent and were not aware of this alleged data-harvesting."

I gave Instagram my name and email, along with a phony birthdate. Same with Facebook. But I think the horse is already out of the barn, between all of the online sites I have an account or password with, my data is out there.

Probably the biggest single security feature I have is using a Mac compared to a PC.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah, I don't think we face any immediate personal threat from this, that isn't what it's about. Facebook and Instagram have used all the photos people have posted to "train" their face recognition artificial intelligence. So it's more likely to lead to tracking you everywhere by recognizing your face in a crowd. That has some very broad implications for our future.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Yeah, I don't think we face any immediate personal threat from this, that isn't what it's about. Facebook and Instagram have used all the photos people have posted to "train" their face recognition artificial intelligence. So it's more likely to lead to tracking you everywhere by recognizing your face in a crowd. That has some very broad implications for our future.
The few face shots I have taken, I refuse to identify them when Facebook asks. Although I know most people never think about it. But if someone else took your photo and enters your name, you are screwed. Ultimately the only recourse is legislation, and it appears that is finally starting to happen.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

A group photo with me in it was uploaded recently on Facebook from 2004 and Facebook instantly added my name in. I guess I haven't aged much after all these years :)