Still Trying To Solve Issues With My Car One Year Later

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I
Those sway arm bushings are toast and can account for all kinds of thumping noises. One thing I found is that while Moog may be the most popular in front end parts, their sway arm bushing life is short. I tried Advance Auto's house brand, Carquest, and they have lasted over 3 years and are still tight in both of my F-350's.
I replaced them today.

Reactions: RednekF350
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I mostly "lurk" on this forum but I am having a similar undiagnosed car issue. I'm thinking of stealing your idea about using the GoPro to diagnose my own car wobble/issue. This probably occurred to you already but have you tried taking your car to a few independent repair shops just to see if they have any suggestions? I'm not saying throw more money at the problem but maybe get a second, third, etc. opinion.

Same here, but I'm looking for something less expensive. Not willing to pay $200 or $300. Been reading up about an $80 version that might get me what I need.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I ended up ordering this one, in hopes it will accomplish what I need it to do. I just couldn't justify the cost of even the cheapest GoPro for my needs. If this one can get me some videos to give me a clue as to what's going on with my Tacoma, I'll be happy. I ordered the accessory magnet mount as well.

AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K Action Camera with Touch Screen EIS Adjustable View Angle Web Camera 40m Waterproof Camera Remote Control Sports Camera with Helmet Accessories Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JR1XZ78/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_VZSX6PZXC6MSSKADS0SZ

Reactions: NJCoastal

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That will work just fine. Nice!

I have not attached mine again as I have been busy.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
1651149239519.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know it's just me, but I still think it's noise from the wind airstream doing somehing funny with those holes in the frame, or some other part of the vehicle.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know it's just me, but I still think it's noise from the wind airstream doing somehing funny with those holes in the frame, or some other part of the vehicle.

It is not just a noise. The car vibrates.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, the shaking exhaust was the other rubber connector opposite the one you see in the video. It had come off and Jessica noticed it. I put it back on and the exhaust no longer shakes. Did not solve any problem though.

I will make a few more videos this weekend.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the list of items I replaced last year after hearing the noise.

All of the rotors and one set twice because I was not happy with them. So 6 rotors replaced. (Myself)
4 tires.
2 calipers (myself)
All of the brake pads.(myself)
Both front struts and one again when it failed. So 3 struts in the front.
All of the swaybar bushings and links. (myself)
Right front wheel bearing.
The driveshaft because Honda said it was worn.
2 rims
The steering box ($1800 just for the part rebuilt) because Honda said it was bad. Turns out when it was completed the noise was still there. It was the bad new strut which I told them I thought it was.

Also, I had the air conditioner compressor replaced because it didn't work and the oxygen sensor replaced.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Here is the list of items I replaced last year after hearing the noise.

All of the rotors and one set twice because I was not happy with them. So 6 rotors replaced. (Myself)
4 tires.
2 calipers (myself)
All of the brake pads.(myself)
Both front struts and one again when it failed. So 3 struts in the front.
All of the swaybar bushings and links. (myself)
Right front wheel bearing.
The driveshaft because Honda said it was worn.
2 rims
The steering box ($1800 just for the part rebuilt) because Honda said it was bad. Turns out when it was completed the noise was still there. It was the bad new strut which I told them I thought it was.

Also, I had the air conditioner compressor replaced because it didn't work and the oxygen sensor replaced.
ouch!

Reactions: RednekF350

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So I put the GoPro under the hood facing the right front engine mount and the idler. This video is sped up 4x the regular speed so that you can see the movement of the engine mount. It appears to be bad so I am going to replace this one first. I doubt this will solve my main problem though.

My mom watched my car videos and loved them. She doesn't get out of the house much so it helps make the day go by.

The engine mount. The video is below the photo.

em.jpg

https://youtu.be/gPCDLpLikGY

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, when it is sped up 4X it sure does. My brother told me the same thing.

Last year when I picked my car up at the dealer after getting it repaired it was running next to the other newer cars and I could not even here the newer cars running. Mine was much louder.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just get it. I love my car but I ride in the woods. She won't be doing that.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I still have issues with shaking but whatever is the problem has not causing anything to fail. A month or so ago while tightening the lug nuts with the hood up, Jessica told me the engine was moving quite a bit. I looked at it and agreed. So last week I purchased the transmission mount and the rear engine mount and today we replaced them. I will not know until tomorrow if that had anything to do with my issue. I still have two more engine mounts to replace which I will now wait until spring to attempt.

Jessica replaced the transmission mount and I did the engine mount. They were both fairly easy except for issues with one bolt just not wanting to go back in.

IMG_2192a.jpg