Stone And Property Corner Searching...Fall/Winter 2020-2021

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

It has been almost ten years since we have been in this particular area of Medford and it was about time to get back into going there. So this morning Jessica and I walked around looking for property corners and exploring the woods near West Jersey Cranberry Meadow off of Jackson Road in Medford. The far western edges of the original Wharton property extends into this location, so we started by looking for Wharton corners. This one is along a road and surprisingly was still there.

DSC_0600a.jpg

All the property is now owned by the state but the old signs are still evident.

DSC_0624a.jpg

The road ahead is long and arduous for the casual explorer. Jessica handled it like a champ.

DSC_0594a.jpg

DSC_0629a.jpg

Our final stop was our first visit to this location but it won't be our last. This property was sold to the state in 2001 along with a few others for $1,400,000.

DSC_0621a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica has a long day at work tomorrow so she just rested today. I headed out early to explore again in the area of Sharps Mountain. I rediscovered a map in my files that was made by the Wharton survey team as they were preparing to make the final maps. This map is one of them and as usual the information is not always accurate. There was still some tweaking to do. At any rate, we can learn a little from this small portion.

The stone I was looking for, and have not found yet, was a corner to the property of Alfred L. Haines. He sold it to Wharton on October 8, 1900. Alfred is currently residing in the Friends cemetery in Medford. We also can see a Kimbles Road mentioned and at the link below I point to it. For those who like knowing road names, this surely is a new one for you.

Kimbles Road is not much of a road anymore.

IMG_8563b.jpg

The map also tells us where "Easter Spring" is located. I have a yellow pointer on the map pointing to the exact location that the link points to. It may be called Easter Spring but there is no spring in that spring. I have only crossed it one time years ago when water was in it at that road. I suspect the water usage in that area has lowered the table.

Again, this link matches the yellow arrow.

Easter Spring.jpg

This portion of the map shows a stone on a Stone Hill. However, there are thousands of stones there under the vegetation as it is Braddocks Stone Hill. The maps gives the exact distance from a known location and when arriving I found.....stones.

stone_hill.jpg

While sitting at one of the digging depressions I took this. The tree was interesting to me. The ground around it shows the extent of the digging. It really is a fairly large area and an extensive dig.

DSC_0745a.jpg

As I was leaving there was a man walking in from Atsion Road. He had what appeared to be a tripod strapped to his back. I felt sorry for hm because he most likely had a very long walk to get to anything and there really is nothing to see back there unless you know where to look. Jessica and I have walked it and it takes up so much of your day.

Last edited:

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
That hill is made of sand stone. I would think the original surveyor would of utilized a nonindigenous stone for a survey marker.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That hill is made of sand stone. I would think the original surveyor would of utilized a nonindigenous stone for a survey marker.

He may have. But it has been so many years with disturbance.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were parked along 206 between the Pic and Atsion this morning trying to get to a stone. The briers were severe so we returned to the car and just before we got there an unmarked state police car pulled up. We had to wait until the cars passed before crossing to talk with him but apparently he had been trying to yell to us as the traffic went by. I can't hear well so Jessica answered him and off he went. He was satisfied the car was ours and did not need to hang around.

So we then headed to the state woods along Atsion road across Atsion road from the Buddhist house but while out there we came across private property signs. It is not private but decided to give up there also, especially the day before shotgun starts.

Have you ever been behind the property near the Buddhist house? There is a shooting range back there. You can drive there but you can't actually walk out to it. That is private property, the state line runs right along it. It is more involved there, even more then the most recent aerials show. They have tables, trash cans, streamers, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
We were parked along 206 between the Pic and Atsion this morning trying to get to a stone. The briers were severe so we returned to the car and just before we got there an unmarked state police car pulled up. We had to wait until the cars passed before crossing to talk with him but apparently he had been trying to yell to us as the traffic went by. I can't hear well so Jessica answered him and off he went. He was satisfied the car was ours and did not need to hang around.

So we then headed to the state woods along Atsion road across Atsion road from the Buddhist house but while out there we came across private property signs. It is not private but decided to give up there also, especially the day before shotgun starts.

Have you ever been behind the property near the Buddhist house? There is a shooting range back there. You can drive there but you can't actually walk out to it. That is private property, the state line runs right along it. It is more involved there, even more then the most recent aerials show. They have tables, trash cans, streamers, etc.

A few months ago my son & I were riding along the western side of that field in Wharton. We couldn't figure out what was going on exactly, but there were maybe 200+ people, most dressed in either medieval or Viking garb at the range. It looked like they were grouped at either end of the field and having mock battles. It appeared they were shooting arrows back and forth, which sounds crazy. There were trailers and flags in what looked like a cross between a festival and a food truck mall. I noticed a lot of out of state plates, New York mostly. I think the last time I was back there there were more structures. I don't remember structures being there some years ago. I may have a photo or two, I'll try to find.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sounds about right. It could have been targets for arrows. I seem to remember a more than usual amount of cars at that house one weekend a short while back.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica also broke her walking stick today so she is currently looking online to find one she likes. We were crossing a downed tree and it snapped. Rob from work used it about ten years ago and broke the mechanism that locks it tight so it has for years been slowly getting worse.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
there were maybe 200+ people, most dressed in either medieval or Viking garb at the range. It looked like they were grouped at either end of the field and having mock battles.

Society for Creative Anachronism?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Before we met, my ex-wife and her boyfriend were very active in that organization during its early years (1960's) in California. She had quite a few stories to tell! :)

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I had a friend who's wife was in some organization way back. She was taking sword lessons,because she thought if there was ever a nuclear war, the survivors would have no guns and the world would revert back to medieval like times.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd