Stone Searching Fall/Winter 2023-2024

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks everyone. As soon as it caught my eye I knew it was old. I was so surprised to see it because we walked right by it before. Here is our route on 1/27 and my route yesterday. Sixteen feet apart.

15 feet.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think hunters used it. They bring the hulk there and set it on RR ties and can shoot from the windows. They put the gates up when they leave and put the lock on the back door with the added latch. What person steels a car and has RR ties with them? And how do you carry the complete front of the vehicle and the engine out of the woods.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I figured I would throw this info into this thread.

My YouTube site is attached to my IslandTee email address and I am logged into it all the time. Recently, I had to log into Google on my TeeGate name and all seemed well. The other day I realized the Google had created a new channel for me called "Guy TeeGate" and I had been unknowingly adding my videos into that channel. I don't want that channel and in the process of trying to delete it I came within seconds of deleting my IslandTee channel and every one of my videos since I first signed onto YouTube.

So if you have two Google accounts be very careful as to which one you are signed into.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We drove to the Highland Park Field & Stream Gun Club this morning in Bass River looking for something and we found it. I will discuss it at a later date. Anyway, while passing by the club we stopped and checked on the property corner near the ruins and someone has removed it from the ground since I last visited it during the March Of Ives PBX hike in 2008.

IMG_9279a.jpg

IMG_9278a.jpg

We also looked for another of the clubs corner and did not find it. Since the PPA now owns it and there are no trespassing signs, we walked the edge of the property looking for one in the back but did not find it. It is so nice back there now that it has burned. I find nothing more interesting than walking after a burn especially when there are rolling hills to explore. I don't believe in 2008 this fence was there, and it appears it is a fence to keep deer out for cedar regeneration. Most likely. The fence stopped me from finding a pipe that was also the clubs corner. I will find a way around it in the future.

IMG_9290a.jpg

Reactions: John and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, the No Trespassing signs say Montgomery and not PPA. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The early morning was looking bleak when I got up early this morning and it was still raining lightly here. But I decided to go out anyway and look for a property stone. I very recently acquired a map showing a stone for Joseph Burr but I had concerns since the map was from around 1825.

map2.jpg

After studying the map I was able to determine the location and even had the exact location of a corner 165 feet away. It is in the Sooy Preserve off of 72 behind Mayo's.

map.jpg

By the time I got there the sun was out and it was nice. A half mile walk and I was there. I found nothing except this.

IMG_9308a.jpg

Another recent find. I would guess it as at least 24 years old judging by my previous memories of someplace else. Most likely it is much older. The small plywood platform that was mounted on the 4 legs just above Jessica's head in the first photo below is where that canister use to reside. The plywood rotted and the canister has since fallen off and someone may have placed it where it currently is.

IMG_9305a.jpg

DSC_6099a.jpg

IMG_9301a.jpg

DSC_6097a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This other stone is mentioned on Rogers Road on the same map. I found the stone in 2005 after almost 200 years. The stone is by Jessica's foot. I am digging the Lebanon monument from the early 1900s. My wife was there and took the photo of me and Jessica.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 1.38.45 PM.png

Taken by Audrey her camera.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It absolutely was used in the past for water monitoring. I have no doubt about it because of where it is located. I discovered it while sitting here at home.

Reactions: 66C10

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I received an email from a surveyor who is working on a project in Ocean County and I gave him a few bits of information I had. The Burlington County stone that was the main stone to delineate where the county line turns was there when I photographed it on 11/19/2005 but it was pushed out of the ground by the FFS when fire burned though the plains. I found it missing and pushed down the line when PBX visited there during our Rough And Tumble Pine Plains hike on 3/26/2016.

With Jessica resting her leg I headed out early this morning and walked in from the red road to see if I could again find the removed stone but was not able to do so. I was able to look for and find Burlington County monument number 29 which I could not find in the past. It was knocked over along a large puddle and was mostly covered over.

IMG_9580a.jpg

IMG_9582a.jpg

While in the area I walked to the Stafford Township line and looked for monument number 55 that I was not able to find in the past. Since I knew where 54 and 56 were I concentrated in the middle between there. It took a while but I eventually did see it.

IMG_9593a.jpg

IMG_9598a.jpg

IMG_9597a.jpg

And on my way there earlier in the morning I rolled down the passenger window as I drove by and took this photo in Tabernacle. I saw that the court is blocking the demolition at least for now. Just for the record I did not knock over the cones in my rear view window.

IMG_9575a.jpg

Next week we have something else to look for that you all may find interesting. Here is a hint. There are more of these out there at a different location. We just have to find it.

Warren Grove Bombing Range 1/19/2003

Bomb_At_Warren_Grove.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, it appears they did and I will look for it soon. It is in the woods in a place where it had to have been dropped. We shall see when I find it.

Reactions: Wick

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went there today and was not able to find the bomb. I have asked some questions and hopefully will hear back before next weekend.