Tavern in Pleasant Mills, NJ

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
My hunch that "Pettit's Old Road" was an older name for Sailor Boy Road doesn't quite make sense to me anymore, unless Newtown was nowhere near Newton Creek. Hmm....

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
OK... I have a question and an observation...

1. Newton or Newtown, and how does this name come into play? On the 1812 map, Pine Creek is Pine Creek. In 1828 and 1872 the maps now read Newton or Pine Creek. Who was Newton? Did he come to the area after 1812, and if so, what part did he play in the area history? I don't recognize the name.... should I?

2. In the copy of Beck's article regarding the Tavern search for Garoutte's establishment, it states that he married Sophia Smith and they had 13 children. Michael and Sophia die =/- 1829. Of their 13 children, one marries an Asher Dayton who was supposed to have settled the village of Asterdaten (sp?)..... BUT, on the 1872 F.W. Beers map that Jerseyman provides, there is a A. Dayton indicated as residing just above Beck and Vanmeter's place. Same person?

Like Gabe says.... just thinking. Now going for a walk.

Terry

You all are amazing!
I do not live it NJ nor do I know the history of the land. And I have to admit that I get quite confused with all the replies to this discussion. I generated this discussion back in October and have watched diligently to see if there is an answer to the name & location of the tavern that Michael Antoine Garoutte owned.
Replying to Terry,,,Michael Garoutte did marry Sophia Smith. They did have 13 children. Michael died in 1829 and Sophia died in 1817. Not sure which daughter marries Asher Dayton off hand. Are you saying that he inherited the tavern?
Thank you, Lisa

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Lisa,

Jerseyman posted a Henry Beck article in post #4 to this thread. In that article, there seems to be some question as to where Asher Dayton ended up....I just happened to see the name A. Dayton (maybe Asher, maybe not) on the 4th map that JM posted. Take a look at the 4th map (the one pieced together in two parts). Looking again, I see a residence of J. Smith (another family name) just above Dayton's. So what I am saying is, the children of Michael & Sophia perhaps appear to have stayed in the area. I would look into the children and their spouses and see what you can dig up about them and their occupations. Often a child would follow his parent's occupation.
Not knowing much about this search, it just seems unusual to have two family names living next to each other on Elwood Rd. between Weymouth and Pleasant Mills. Then again, maybe not.

Good luck with your search....
Terry

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Gabe....
were you here today? I saw one set of men's prints.... not a likely place to see evidence of life in this weather. We were there last year. You can see the old bridge pilings and the elevated road well in the snow.... nice walk.
Terry

IMG_7395 (757x1024).jpg
wading old bridge (1024x396).jpg

Reactions: John

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Al, it's further up river..... were they your prints? :) Late in the afternoon before heading out, I heard coyotes at dusk. I often do in that area. Lot of deer prints too.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I reviewed the Hopkins map, and saw the watercourse adjacent to Newton Creek was Negro Creek. Is it possible that Newtown was a black hamlet, hence its obscurity? The nearby charcoal hamlet of Carmantown had at least two locations, one in Laureldale and one about a mile west of the McKee City (racetrack) defunct circle on US Route 40. Woodcutter camps were ephemeral, moving with forest resource exhaustion and forest fires. I have never been able to find a good explanation for the origin of Newtonville's name, which hosted an obscure black coaling community and is only eight miles from Newton Creek. I wonder if there is any shared heritage between Newtown and Newtonville?

Screen shot 2014-01-05 at 10.01.07 PM.png

Hopkins, G.M., 1873: Combined Atlas of the State of New Jersey and the City of Newark. Newark, NJ: G.M. Hopkins & Co. 120 pp. (p. 23, County of Atlantic).

S-M

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
turtle said:
but in Vol. 28, page 8 of notes there is a note that:

"Death of Nicholas S. Thompson--- 1856---wills a lot of land, tavern house and etc situate in Atlantic County, known as Pleasant Mills Hotel containing 13 acres."

Some more relevant information:

"Deed (1824) from Gibson Ashcraft to Nicholas Sooy Thompson, property boundary at School House Run." (W.L. Vol. 15, p. 202)

I also have in my notes (although I somehow forgot to name the source. doh!) that Nicholas Sooy Thompston applied for tavern license for lafayette tavern in 1829.

So we know that the Lafayette Tavern was located on Indian Cabin Road. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the Lafayette Tavern was situated nearby School House Run, around here:

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.626581006183244&lng=-74.65521424981591&z=20&type=hybrid&gpx=

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Here's something in my notes about Higbee's Green Tree Tavern, again without a source! I know, I know...

"Higbee's Tavern (aka Green Tree Tavern) was located at Moss Mill Rd. and Rt. 9. Built in 1776 by John Steelman."

Now I'm cornfused.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Comment: in these posts of historical places, people have done a huge amount of research into original documents as well as written histories. But. In the documentation examined I see deeds, newspaper items, diaries, maps, regulations and ordinances, etc. But never a reference to County tax lists.
In Pennsylvania genealogical research in the early 1800's those lists can be the only data source available. Do they not exist here in Jersey? I'm gonna contact a friend who's Burlington County Ass't Clerk to see if we have those documents archived from the time of the Revolution..... If extant, they should be very useful in determining who owned what and when and how much ......

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
OK, my note about Nicholas Sooy Thompson applying for a tavern license comes from a geneaological work by Juneanne Wescoat Glick. I have not viewed the text, and only a snippet is available through Google Books. The snippet reads as follows:

"In 1829 Nicholas s. Thompson applied for a tavern license for the "Lafayette Tavern"...near the Forks....Galloway. Signing for Mr. Thompson's petition was Thomas Wescoat."

Gabe,
This makes sense because Michael Garoutte died in 1829. Nicholas S. Thompson's will, 27 years later in 1856 leaves land, tavern house & hotel in Atlantic County. The hotel name is Pleasant Mills Hotel and it encompasses 13 acres.

Terry