Tavern in Pleasant Mills, NJ

My four times great-grandfather, Michael Garoutte owned a tavern in Pleasant Mills, NJ some time between 1700-1850. I am not sure of the exact time and I do not know the name of the tavern. Do you by chance happen to have any information on him or the tavern?
Thank you for your time,
Lisa

Thank you so much for your responses! I do have all the information you sent. I would love to become a member of Flagon and Trencher but not sure if I qualify. That is why I'm trying to figure out the name of the tavern Michael kept. Thank you again! Lisa

Lisa:

For what it’s worth, here is Beck’s take on your ancestor:

Beck on Garoutte.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: relayer

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Huh,

It's funny that Green doesn't seem to cover this story. Very busy, so I only did a quick scam so may have missed it, but suggest this booklet for further Pleasant Mill's context.

S-M
Screen shot 2013-10-10 at 12.52.19 PM.png
Great stuff dogg57 & Jerseyman.​
Green, C.F., ca. 1920s?: A Place of Olden Days, Nescochague, Sweetwater, Pleasant Mills: a Historical Sketch. Hammonton: Hammonton Printing. 32 pp.

Huh,

It's funny that Green doesn't seem to cover this story. Very busy, so I only did a quick scam so may have missed it, but suggest this booklet for further Pleasant Mill's context.

S-M
Great stuff dogg57 & Jerseyman.​
Green, C.F., ca. 1920s?: A Place of Olden Days, Nescochague, Sweetwater, Pleasant Mills: a Historical Sketch. Hammonton: Hammonton Printing. 32 pp.

Spung-Man:

I turned to Green first, but, like you, I failed to find a single reference. The next source that I examined was the 1938 Mullica Township centennial history, but, again, no information contained within it relative to Garoutte or a tavern on the Pleasant Mills tract. I did find information in a set of books on Roman Catholics in the Revolution. Here are the two page images about Garoutte:

342.jpg
343.jpg

These two pages I derived from Martin I.J. Griffin’s 1911 volume III of Catholics and the American Revolution. Published by the author, Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. Three volumes in total, 1907-1911.

Charles S. Boyer’s Old Inns and Taverns of West Jersey also contains nothing relative to a tavern at Pleasant Mills, although it does mention two taverns at the Forks.

At this point in time, I think Lisa’s best opportunity to find additional information is to visit the Gloucester County Historical Society, which holds all tavern licenses and license petitions for the Pleasant Mills area up through 1837. Since Garoutte died in 1829 and lies in repose at the Pleasant Mills Methodist Episcopal Church cemetery, GCHS would hold a great many documents related to his time period in its “County Document Collection.”

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: relayer
Good stuff, Jerseyman.

Lisa M:

The name was Lafayette Tavern. I'll be sure to chime in again if I come across more information.

pinelandpaddler:

It makes perfect sense to me for Garoutte to name the tavern after Lafayette, but can you provide a citation for the information?

Whatever you can provide would be appreciated!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jerseyman,

Hmmmm.....The following is the only information I have at hand.

An 1825 document mentions a Lafayette Tavern "on the road from Pleasant Mills to Indian Cabin". This is taken from Budd's Dad's notes on the Wharton Ledgers (Vol. 14, p. 344)

pinelandpaddler:

It makes perfect sense to me for Garoutte to name the tavern after Lafayette, but can you provide a citation for the information?

Whatever you can provide would be appreciated!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman,

Hmmmm.....The following is the only information I have at hand.

An 1825 document mentions a Lafayette Tavern "on the road from Pleasant Mills to Indian Cabin". This is taken from Budd's Dad's notes on the Wharton Ledgers (Vol. 14, p. 344)

That sounds like a road return, Gabe, which will be in the files of the Gloucester County Historical Society. When I have time, I’ll drop down to Woodbury and locate it.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm surprised a tavern was allowed to operate so close to Batsto. I forget what year the "no taverns within four miles" law was enacted, but I know that in other states it was pre 19th century.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Has it been 8 weeks since Gino Pinto got their latest stock of grape juice in?;)
Enjoying some 6 week old Pinot Noir right now. A little cloudy but there is something to be said about the fruitiness of green wine.
It will be killer by Thanksgiving but that's a long way off.
:)

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Your first post in this thread gave me a clue that something was almost ready! I have some Pinot Noir that has been bubbling away (using your method) about 2 weeeks , hopefully I can enjoy it at Thanksgiving.